Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

We had snow about 30 minutes ago, it must have been the dry fine stuff because the webcam visibility dropped quite a bit, and suddenly the road and pavements started to turn white and I was quite excited.

And less than 5 minutes later, it's pretty much all gone.

I suspect it was dry stuff landing on (everything is) drenched ground, and basically melting away.

Temperature still -0.1C

You can see a bit of the dusting in the parking bay area on the right

image.thumb.png.a5e649173b137301eca4ac7b28bd2438.png

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer

Just very light snow throughout the night giving a merest dusting ,the North sea does appear to be showing shower activity on the increase we are now under -12 uppers  t 0.5c dp -5c 

• Like 7

Posted

Morning all. Well nice to see horrible cold damp surfaces all finally dried up in nice cold air and very low dp's. North sea does look to be firing up a bit now so ground ready to take it here...just very little falling!  Some amazing pictures from elsewhere and further inland . Anyone with more knowledge than me hazard a guess on the  convection potential based on latest data?

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

Morning all. Well nice to see horrible cold damp surfaces all finally dried up in nice cold air and very low dp's. North sea does look to be firing up a bit now so ground ready to take it here...just very little falling!  Some amazing pictures from elsewhere and further inland . Anyone with more knowledge than me hazard a guess on the  convection potential based on latest data?

I think we see the heavier blobs in thr north sea seperate a bit and become heavier. Later this evening there are hints of more organised showers across like E Scotland ( Tayside, Aberdeenshire and Fife) developing streamer in those areas.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, thebigyin said:

At a guess later this afternoon/evening through to tomorrow lunchtime may be our best bet for decent convective shower activity here. After that there will still be some around but the most intense stuff may be stolen by those further south (by which I mean Angus, Fife and parts of the Central Belt, not England).

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter Sun in summer
19 minutes ago, doctormog said:

At a guess later this afternoon/evening through to tomorrow lunchtime may be our best bet for decent convective shower activity here. After that there will still be some around but the most intense stuff may be stolen by those further south (by which I mean Angus, Fife and parts of the Central Belt, not England).

Agree I think the Angus, Fife area is the target area for the best of the convective snow today give or take a few miles either side , convergence is looking more likely there by my guess,if I was a betting man just north of Dundee to Forfar is my idea of the sweet spot 

Edited by drm
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Home weather station showing -1.6 with wind chill -3.7 gusts to 12mph just had very light shower more granular than snaw,the current mrs Morrison has instructed me to go and chop logs for the fire so I better wrap up and do as I’m told

bonnyrigg 178m asl 

• Like 6

Posted

My litmus test for knowing it’s got colder/drier is not being able to see the dogs’ paw prints when they charge out to chase next door’s cat and what’s on my patio table no longer looks like mush!

Dusting of grainy snow fallen overnight, temperature has hovered around 0c for the duration, never actually dropping below but dew point has fallen steadily. Currently 0.7c/-4.6c, wind from the East, overnight low was 0.4c/-5.0c.

Keeping my fingers crossed that we actually see some proper snow along the Dee valley today.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Ice day yesterday with a max of -0.2C here up the hill, if maybe not in Alford itself. Currently -2.7/-4.0C with flurries and perhaps a cm or two lying from overnight. Pretty calm most of the time but occasional bursts of wind blowing snow off the roof. 

• Like 7

Posted

Good luck everyone!!! 

I have a dilemma . I’m due to work in Ayrshire tomorrow until Tuesday morning however I can change this to Wednesday into Thursday. What is the general consensus snow wise ? As I don’t want to miss any and obvs don’t want to risk travel if I can get away with it should I change to Wednesday as Monday into Tuesday is looking much more promising for here 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
1 minute ago, aggy said:

Good luck everyone!!! 

I have a dilemma . I’m due to work in Ayrshire tomorrow until Tuesday morning however I can change this to Wednesday into Thursday. What is the general consensus snow wise ? As I don’t want to miss any and obvs don’t want to risk travel if I can get away with it should I change to Wednesday as Monday into Tuesday is looking much more promising for here 

I think as far as falling snow goes Monday into Tuesday morning will have more falling snow especially further west (looking at the UKV it seems like there'll be a good amount of snow south for central areas too) whereas by Wednesday into Thursday it's more likely to be dry as the flow gets slacker, most likely. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold and snowy in winter, a good mix of weather the rest of the time
2 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

Morning all,

There are about 5 flakes of snizzle in the air but that’s something, right? Air temperature is 1.7c, which is a little bit above where I thought it might be with such low uppers. Let’s see how things pan out today!

The good news is the coldest uppers are just making their way inland now (it was mixed with more -8/-9s overnight) so I would think it won't rise today, and if anything should drop a bit as the heavier stuff comes in 

• Like 7

Posted

Light snow / graupel shower on here and lying easily which is good news if / when we get some heavier showers. 

• Like 8

Posted
2 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

The good news is the coldest uppers are just making their way inland now (it was mixed with more -8/-9s overnight) so I would think it won't rise today, and if anything should drop a bit as the heavier stuff comes in 

Thanks LS. A little bit of graupel on now. Expecting a fair bit of graupel if we do see heavy precipitation. There was lots of it in 2010 and BFTE.

• Like 9