Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

A few flakes getting blown about in the wind now. More than I expect (deserve?) so all good so far.

NW forecast is just plain silly. At every iteration, it shows a little ppn at the first time frame, but none for any later. As if it's looking (uselessly) at the radar and saying, we don't expect ppn but I can see there is some, so I'll put it in anyway. Someone should train it to ignore the radar.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
3 minutes ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

I reckon you'll see, at least a few flakes

Seriously though I do think the models might be underestimating the westward extent of the showers. Take the current radar for example - the UKV initialised 6 hours ago has this:

image.thumb.png.2451024b10b283337ae8659fa3ea9756.pngimage.thumb.png.e9387c0614fc1d6dace7d4343bece765.png

And yet the radar shows:

image.thumb.png.5ed1d8a594c039012d16a2fad2198cb8.png

a) much more extensive precipitation up the east coast than modelled and b) there's a moderate shower already past the M74.

Once you factor in the low dewpoints and I don't think you can really rule out a covering anywhere over the next 4 days. Not promising anything, but if you can get a shower through on this flow:

image.thumb.png.0b194af59bd5a2126b570d76ca33543a.png

I wouldn't rule anything out

You're ignoring the fact that the radar is claptrap for many places.

• Like 5

Posted

Sporadic light snow all day in Aberdeen but nothing lying - precipitation too light and the ground too wet. Due points are tumbling now although the light snow it tending to break up leaving dry conditions and just the odd flurry of graupel which will lie now in any heavier, more persistent bursts

Edited by Zerouali lives
  • Like 9