Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
10 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I know SEPA take their lead from Met-O weather warnings but I can't help but wonder why there are no flood alerts out given the volume of rain which is falling and is due to fall on ground below 200m in the next 2 days.

21020518_0312.thumb.gif.6cb3b18bb68afa50abccb66e521546df.gif425113605_Screenshot_20210203-143001_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f7b0af7d6159b9b32816323a645313d0.jpg

SEPA have been the victim of a corporate hack recently and a lot of their online services are down.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
46 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

I know SEPA take their lead from Met-O weather warnings but I can't help but wonder why there are no flood alerts out given the volume of rain which is falling and is due to fall on ground below 200m in the next 2 days.

21020518_0312.thumb.gif.6cb3b18bb68afa50abccb66e521546df.gif425113605_Screenshot_20210203-143001_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.f7b0af7d6159b9b32816323a645313d0.jpg

Erm...I hope I am reading that wrong as it's difficult to make out, but it looks like 88mm over my area?  Nearly 3 1/2ins"?  

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?
6 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

There are cms of slush on all the pavements. Not white, pavement coloured. it's horrible stuff to walk through and it's very very slippy.

I'm actually quite annoyed that it's basically been snowing for like 3 days here, and hen those other days when it was snowing too. If they had all actually been snow, rather than this stuff - we would have multiple feet of snow by now.

Welcome to AGW.

• Like 3

Posted
11 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

SEPA have been the victim of a corporate hack recently and a lot of their online services are down.

It's a major hack, they're still trying to work out exactly what data has been compromised. We've had to problems getting forms completed and sent in to them for waste exemptions for clients so I think flood warnings will be down the list of priorities while they get their security beefed up. Potential for a huge fine coming their way too.

• Like 8

Posted
1 minute ago, Sanserit said:

It's a major hack, they're still trying to work out exactly what data has been compromised. We've had to problems getting forms completed and sent in to them for waste exemptions for clients so I think flood warnings will be down the list of priorities while they get their security beefed up. Potential for a huge fine coming their way too.

Why in god's name does an organisation like them not have a comprehensive back up they can plug and play? 

• Like 2

Posted
22 minutes ago, Hairy Celt said:

SEPA are barely functioning and this is since 24th December. SEPA have no data from their own rainfall and river level sites so presumably that impacts on the ability to issue accurate flood warnings. 

I deal with their land use planning side of things for work and they are unable to respond to anything at all. Could be months before they are back to any sort of normality.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
23 minutes ago, CatchMyDrift said:

Euro4 usually overestimates but yeah

So.. if I  perform the baseline rain-to-snow conversion:  The baseline ratio of rain to snow is 1 inch  equals 10 inches of snow. For example, to calculate the snowfall equivalent of 3 inches of rain, multiply 3 by 10 to obtain 30 inches of snow as the baseline conversion.   So I could be looking at 35" of snow if it fell as snow?

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers, snowy winters

Newbie poster and weather enthusiast. Snowing in highest parts of East Kilbride (200+M) for 2 days - periods like yesterday afternoon and this evening when the temp dipped a bit and the snow built up. Still coming down and around 3-4". Hopefully more folk will see the snaw soon!

image.thumb.png.4cc7f7c1f8d190c8f4eeddd84bb4f054.png

• Like 8

Posted
13 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

So.. if  we perform the baseline rain-to-snow conversion:  The baseline ratio of rain to snow is 1 inch  equals 10 inches of snow. For example, to calculate the snowfall equivalent of 3 inches of rain, multiply 3 by 10 to obtain 30 inches of snow as the baseline conversion.   So I could be looking at 35" of snow if it fell as snow?

That's what would fall from the sky, between non-settling light stuff and the snow condensing itself (can't remember the name for reduction of snow accumulation not caused by melting) your lying snow totals will be quite a bit lower. 

• Like 5