Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

@Jambo Fowler it's all down to luck the totals we can possibly get in Perth. We were very unlucky during the beast.... The current ENE and ESE variations should certainly see us hit with plenty of convective showers and I see us having showers Sunday to Tuesday with significant disturbance in the flow I would be disappointed if we don't see at least 6 inches and yes a foot entirely possible the way the charts currently look.

@Mr Frostim loving the mild line over 101s House 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

We had lots of light to moderate, really wet snow yesterday but only rain today. Been watching the radar showing serious snow skirting the village for the last 24 hours while others in the Kiltie No Pants thread are being buried in the stuff. I'm almost at the point of posting in the Southern Softie thread. Still, all this rain has the place looking very, very green, which is nice enough in its own way.

Temperature 2.2deg.C up from 1.4deg.C minimum at 05:17, humidity is 91%, wind is 4 to 8mph northerly generally with a 20mph gust at 07:54, pressure is 997.0hPa rising slowly, there's been 6.6mm of rain today and 11.2mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 1deg.C.

• Like 9

Posted
2 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Going forward, with snow depths like that there are going to be real welfare issues for the likes of red deer/grouse etc on these estates as how can they possibly reach any food.  Bit like how you read about Reindeer starving in Finland as the snow is now too deep and heavy for them to dig down to reach the moss compared to old style winters which were colder but with less snow.

Now getting some bright spells here in between the sleet/graupel showers which is allowing the temperature to drop further - currently 1.3c.  Ground still too wet/warm to allow any appreciable lying.

Helicopter dropping could be an option if you get those sort of depths at remotely low levels, but they'd need to learn from the US's 1940s responses on that as apparently the wildlife couldn't get to a lot of it. Do you bring your sheep down and cattle inside for winter up in the highlands or is livestock at risk here, I'd imagine sadly livestock would be prioritised over wildlife in these situations? And of course the resources that might be used to these ends could well be prioritised for Covid use anyway - almost makes you wish for a early Spring.  

Their twitter feed replies on this image said they only had a covering down at village level, so over the next few days I'd imagine those of you in semi-rural areas will see wildlife coming down to the lower areas with less snow covering, the issue will be if you start getting a foot of snow at sea level with lakes freezing over. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snoooowwww with some thunderstorms on the side
10 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I like to think my Geography is pretty good but what areas are Upper Deeside? Braemar? Ballater? 
Anyone in here live in the above area?

I would say Aboyne west through to Braemar looks like the sweet spot.

• Like 6

Posted
11 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

I like to think my Geography is pretty good but what areas are Upper Deeside? Braemar? Ballater? 
Anyone in here live in the above area?

Spot on.  I would probably include Aboyne in there as well.  

• Like 4

Posted
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
  • Weather Preferences: Warm sunny summers. Cold snowy or sunny winters.
  • Location: Aboyne, Scotland, 450ft Altitude (edge of Cairngorms)
13 minutes ago, Mr T said:

I live in Aboyne and I've been viewing some ridiculous weekly accumulated snowfall forecasts on the various models over the last 24hr. Ventusky app currently showing 70+cm over the next week for Aboyne. Last night it was showing 90+cm (these totals based on the GFS run). The ICON run showing less but still significant. It's snowing at the moment but not coming to much. We have about 2in of snow at the moment lying on top of ice that's been here since Xmas. I travelled for groceries yesterday to Westhill and Inverurie and was very surprised there was little to no snow in those locations. I'm not sure what to expect here in Aboyne over the next week or so but we're prepared with plenty sledges and snow boogieboards... and emergency supplies in case of power outages.... It was -10°C here in the early hours of yesterday morning.

Screenshot_20210203-130653_Chrome.jpg

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

Cycled along that road on Saturday @Stormeh, was freezing up there although the views were phenomenal in the sun.

• Like 9