Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
35 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

No thanks

You are not far me me, Ellon and Newburgh and I’ve not seen a proper decent snow since December 2017 & March 2018

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
1 hour ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Traffic cams don’t look that exciting in inveralmond. How much did you get there. Managed 3cm. Grandparents in Dunfermline got about 8-10cm.

Only about 2 here then a rapid melt... No playtime in it for kids even

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.
47 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

Okay!

istockphoto-167762814-612x612.jpg

Ah yes, that well known east coast sign language gesture for "You'll have had your tea..?"

Temperature now up to 4.7deg.C and the cloud has broken to give 4/8 cover. Sleet melt has worked its way through Diablo's inners and rain for today is now recorded at 0.6mm. Pressure is shooting upwards and sits currently at 977.2hPa. Dew point is now 3deg.C.

Edited by Puffy MacCloud
forgot the weather bit, again
  • Like 4

Posted
54 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

A'noon.

Well after about 13hrs of non-stop snow, I think I can call it at 4" for here!   Weird doesn't cover it really.   I suppose there is a perfectly logical meteorological explanation though!

A bit brighter today with the sun trying to peep through now and again.

1.9c/0.9c/970/W/10mph.

static_weathercams.php.jpg

there is a simple explanation of why 13 hours of snow only produced 4 inches (assuming the snow was fairly heavy)

The milder it is the more water snowflakes hold, however the colder it is, the less water and more air they have.

So a mildish heavy scottish snowfall (0c 1c) would not accumulate as much as say a lighter -10c snowfall.

The water compresss it more, and also as it’s not overly cold will melt a bit. As opposed to a very ‘dry’ fluffy snowflake at -10 which piles up easily 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

Been snowing fairly heavily since at least 9am this morning but nothing to show for it other than an inch deep layer of slush on the driveway at best. That will have to go before it freezes up or it'll be bomb proof and lethal.

• Like 7

Posted
1 hour ago, dragan said:

there is a simple explanation of why 13 hours of snow only produced 4 inches (assuming the snow was fairly heavy)

The milder it is the more water snowflakes hold, however the colder it is, the less water and more air they have.

So a mildish heavy scottish snowfall (0c 1c) would not accumulate as much as say a lighter -10c snowfall.

The water compresss it more, and also as it’s not overly cold will melt a bit. As opposed to a very ‘dry’ fluffy snowflake at -10 which piles up easily 

Thats really interesting as I remember the BFTE snow as being so powdery it was like ash and blown around like a fine mist

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow,Thunderstorms mix both for heaven THUNDERSNOW 😜😀🤤🥰

@Blitzen, and everyone (including me)  this really informative page I found might help understand, just shows how many dynamics are at play when trying to get snow  

WWW.WEATHER.GOV

and this for the snow type / ratio, I remember with that epic snowstorm in the NE US that produced over 40 inches they were mentioning how high the snow - liquid ratio must have been to get totals that high 

WWW.THEWEATHERPREDICTION.COM

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
1 hour ago, Kirkcaldy Weather said:

@Blitzen, and everyone (including me)  this really informative page I found might help understand, just shows how many dynamics are at play when trying to get snow  

WWW.WEATHER.GOV

and this for the snow type / ratio, I remember with that epic snowstorm in the NE US that produced over 40 inches they were mentioning how high the snow - liquid ratio must have been to get totals that high 

WWW.THEWEATHERPREDICTION.COM

Love the Weather Prediction site! Been using it for years, through University and into the present times!

• Like 6