Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
10 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

gfs-deterministic-uk-instant_ptype_3hr-1198000.thumb.png.2eadc671eb734fb2ca7887ee0f1b8463.png

Still don't like this low position from the 12Z GFS run. Shunting all the good precipitation rates to northeast England.

If you look at the current radar that heavy rain currently over NW England does look like the front has developed from there up to NE England as was suggested and shown in those GFS maps ...

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
3 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

If you look at the current radar that heavy rain currently over NW England does look like the front has developed from there up to NE England as was suggested and shown in those GFS maps ...

Yup. I don't want to be a downer, but I think we should all be prepared for a big bust overnight. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
7 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

Yup. I don't want to be a downer, but I think we should all be prepared for a big bust overnight. 

Hang in there... (with the rest of us!)   The only thing predictable about any of the runs is their unpredictability!/changeability!

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 8

Posted
10 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

I have all these weather apps. Only one shows any snow in my area overnight. Can you guess which one? 

686143F2-C741-41C9-9409-7374391D3D56.jpeg

Has to be Auntie Beeb 

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, edo said:

I've had my fill of wet snow now, I want some proper snow that makes that soft crunch noise.... Apologies to southern lurkers and @Hawesy at moaning about the quality of snow been receiving. 

@edo 

Edited by Hawesy
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
2 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Has to be Auntie Beeb 

Ha ha, that's all they EVER show for this location. This past two weeks they've shown sleet 24hrs a day, EVERY day

Meanwhile it's been snowing here steadily for the last 90 minutes or so but maybe only 1mm to show for it.

• Like 8

Posted
19 minutes ago, Snowlover2 said:

I have all these weather apps. Only one shows any snow in my area overnight. Can you guess which one? 

686143F2-C741-41C9-9409-7374391D3D56.jpeg

Hopefully the only one that's right!!   On the other hand, everyone mentions how crap Accuweather is now, so I will take a punt on that!  (The bar is very low however!)

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

Ha ha, that's all they EVER show for this location. This past two weeks they've shown sleet 24hrs a day, EVERY day

Meanwhile it's been snowing here steadily for the last 90 minutes or so but maybe only 1mm to show for it.

what elevation are you at?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
13 minutes ago, Hawesy said:

@edo 

I like it 

• Like 1

Posted

I swear this is  the same picture as this morning!  (It isn't)

1.2c/0.9c/976mb/NNW/Calm. zzzzzzzzzzz.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow

Accuweather and Weather.com (which annoyingly Google use) is consistently useless for my location. Quite often the temperature is wildly out. They might as well just tell me the temperature at Charterhall (perhaps they are), which is a few miles down the road. We are essentially in a frost hollow here, in the winter it is not unusual to see the temperature drop as much as 2C when entering the village.

The other day it was -4 outside, and the Chromecast (thus Google and therefore Weather.com) were saying... oh it's 2C outside. Sorry that's not good enough, there is a massive difference in potential road conditions there.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
1 minute ago, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Haud oan, this is me, right?

_116599719_snowjan20.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

An amber alert is issued for parts of south-east Scotland as "challenging conditions" continue.

Yes, Lauder is very much under the amber warning area. When it arrives - if you could just pop outside and blow in to the air a bit, perhaps you can nudge it just a tiny bit further East so Greenlaw just sneaks in.....

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, asjmcguire said:

Yes, Lauder is very much under the amber warning area. When it arrives - if you could just pop outside and blow in to the air a bit, perhaps you can nudge it just a tiny bit further East so Greenlaw just sneaks in.....

You might find the heavier stuff moves further east towards Lauder and Greenlaw  as the main band seems to be trending east again 

• Like 2

Posted

Some sleety pish falling now - drizzle with blobs really. Lovely LOL 

Edit: Relatively heavy sleet verging on wet snow at times. Remarkably similar to this time yesterday evening. A repeat would be nice! 

Edited by 101_North
  • Like 7