Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 minute ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

583ADA09-7BD5-45F8-B028-382F60FB3565.thumb.png.6e6caaf134f4b350c9406ac2c4699806.png

The app has changed again looking interesting in the early hours 

It's a fickle beast that app! Changes every coupe of hours. Was endless sleety pish earlier. I'm liking the changes! Getting near that time of day when the warnings might be updated. A good evening of radar watching again hopefully 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns

Xc weather was a fail last night.... I had 6 hours of snow and it just insisted I only ever had fog.... We had that weird wet bulb phenomenon again where the ground covers quick but then seems to barely grow in depth after that and there always seemed to be a slow thaw as it fell. 

Edited by edo
  • Like 9

Posted
5 minutes ago, edo said:

Xc weather was a fail last night.... I had 6 hours of snow and it just insisted I only ever had fog.... We had that weird wet bulb phenomenon again where the ground covers quick but then seems to barely grow in depth after that and there always seemed to be a slow thaw as it fell. 

Exactly the same here . It’s actually pretty much all melted now and drizzle 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and bright.

Nothing to see here. Nothing at all. Move along please. Thank you.

Temperature 1.4deg.C up from 0.5deg.C at 01:37, humidity 96%, wind between 0 and 7mph east-southeasterly, pressure 983.1hPa steady, there's been 0.6mm of rain today and 11.8mm in the last 24 hours, cloud cover is 8/8 and the dew point is at 1deg.C.

As I sat down here Diablo flashed up the snaw symbol. Diablo he take jaffa cakes.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it
45 minutes ago, 101_North said:

Not many photos today due to Team calls and worksheets! 

Over 3 inches and still snowing lightly. A decent enough view out the back now the tree's gone. Start of the Pentlands just visible in the background.

20210120_094659_HDR-3492x1746.thumb.jpg.b3fad50a50069c4aca18818b6db05c5d.jpg

Thinking of coming up your way for a late morning snow run! Just a lot of slush down here in Morningside 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
6 minutes ago, 101_North said:

I'm now simply hiding from anything to do with home schooling! The kids are fed up, won't engage with anything and even getting them to join Team calls is a running battle! This is ruining the kids and I feel heart sorry for them whilst understating the need  for it. My frustration isn't helped by other parents are their endless perfect lockdown life updates. "Tarquin and I have been up from 6am baking cookies and solving equations. Tarquin finished all his school work half an hour before he got up

From a parental point of view I agree fully, my son is a nightmare. He will do the work but he prefers to do it in the evening, and getting him up and at least half awake for scheduled Teams meets with his teachers is a battle.

From a teachers point of view it's equally as annoying, driving both me and my wife (also a teacher) nuts. 

Been steady here temperature wise, sitting between 0.5 and 1C all morning, probably due to the sheet of high cloud. There's the occasional patch of blue poking through but I doubt we'll see too much sun.

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Ravelin said:

From a parental point of view I agree fully, my son is a nightmare. He will do the work but he prefers to do it in the evening, and getting him up and at least half awake for scheduled Teams meets with his teachers is a battle.

From a teachers point of view it's equally as annoying, driving both me and my wife (also a teacher) nuts. 

Been steady here temperature wise, sitting between 0.5 and 1C all morning, probably due to the sheet of high cloud. There's the occasional patch of blue poking through but I doubt we'll see too much sun.

If I'm being honest, whilst some aspects of the schools handling of this frustrates me given they've had ample warning this time, I have a new found respect for teachers. This isn't an ideal situation for anyone but teachers really are caught in the crossfire here. They can't do right for doing wrong. Fair play to you both. I can't imagine being a teacher and homeschooling. 

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW

We home educate and have done now since November/December 2019 so nothing has really changed here for us.. the kids do a 3 day week, we have a school routine with break times and lunch time etc. Im not claiming that its easy because its anything but that. They moan about stuff just like all kids i guess, a quick "would you behave like that at school" and the threat of technology removal does the trick.. we even make them hand in the mobiles before school starts..

• Like 7

Posted

It feels like a crime posting my own twitter thread.....but here I am. Posted this mini analysis just now.

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, metallikat34 said:

It feels like a crime posting my own twitter thread.....but here I am. Posted this mini analysis just now.

Blighty doesn't have to self promote  

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, 101_North said:

Blighty doesn't have to self promote  

Never heard of him until yesterday, but he seems to be a bit notorious on these chats? Not sure if thats a good or bad thing....

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry
12 minutes ago, Mair Snaw said:

we even make them hand in the mobiles before school starts..

I really wish all schools would do that. There are benefits to allowing kids to have mobiles in schools but they are far outweighed by the drawbacks. We're creating a generation who are addicted to their small screens.

• Like 6

Posted
1 minute ago, metallikat34 said:

Never heard of him until yesterday

Shhhh  No one else had either 

• Like 2