Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
1 minute ago, LomondSnowstorm said:

Certainly doesn't seem to be a lack of precipitation on that midnight screenshot (although quite how you end up with that sliver of rain from Perth through to Crianlarich is anyone's guess )

I was tempted to start a summary now but I think I'll wait until at least the GFS and UKMO are out and hope there's at least something approaching a consensus.

I've noticed a bit of a dip in temperatures around Clydesdale in the last hour or so, I guess, where precipitation is heaviest. That potentially bodes well for our chances of snow later on.

The ICON, which seems to have a reasonable grip on current temperatures at least, has it fairly widely as snowfall to low levels by midnight:

image.thumb.png.8bc415924b077167c61297368aabc1d7.png

Moreso inland though, and for the east coast I think dewpoints will just be a bit too high:

image.thumb.png.3254c50b50055e39213e292244837977.png

Temperatures generally around 1C for pretty much all the central belt though so I'd think it has a shot of settling, albeit it does move away in the early hours.

The UKV is relatively similar on this actually, dewpoints close to 0C for the central belt and continued fairly intense precipitation around midnight, so certainly something to watch out for.

To Note , Icon is currently to warm in some areas Tonight and also Icon looks quite incredible tomorrow night.

• Like 7

Posted
24 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Speaking of great forecasts ...here are the latest Met Office videos for the two current snow warnings.

What could possibly go wrong!? 

Need that lot to correct a bit to the north and west. Worst outcome for me will be conditions being right for snow but the precipitation not quite making it! 

Current rain band seems a touch further north than expected. I wasn’t expecting to catch the heavier rain. 

Edited by JamesM
  • Like 5

Posted
7 minutes ago, Geedawg said:

Snow is now falling here in forth! Been raining all afternoon. Hopfully it continies

Turning already on higher ground. I knew people in Forth many years ago. I seem to recall it being well placed for snow. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy / snow
3 minutes ago, JamesM said:

Turning already on higher ground. I knew people in Forth many years ago. I seem to recall it being well placed for snow. 

Yes we get some really good snow up here. 280m up roughtly. Snow is now starting to settle!

• Like 6

Posted
3 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

You live at a great height there! 270 meters!? Must be a good place to be in Winter!

Just looking at the Met Office/UKV for tonight.

21:00

ECCF361E-4113-4527-84AD-D5F147A974CC.thumb.png.350208be5c8af74154a1b8891574e8fa.pngF483AD57-F078-4362-9594-D0E3FFE0171B.thumb.png.4f0bc719d4f7f0f9bd17303c2e31eacf.png

You would expect places like East Kilbride to see some decent snowfall later - @Stormeh are you working tonight!? 

Nothing can be ruled out after the last couple of weeks! Especially low levels in the Glasgow area! 

Exciting stuff yet again - Winter keeps on giving! 

Yes we have some great snow here! Snow is lying on grass now. No i am on furlough so i can sit back and watch it without worry. But normaly it is a nightmare haha.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe gales, thunderstorms, snow
5 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

You would expect places like East Kilbride to see some decent snowfall later - @Stormeh are you working tonight!? 

Yes I have just arrived and we have sleet here and it looks interesting for later..

732A7E75-C5FE-4D2E-8735-E42B07D33216.thumb.jpeg.9b50b2d2fb6845feaa3c6a61c10253dd.jpeg

Could be an interesting drive home at midnight

• Like 7

Posted
6 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

You live at a great height there! 270 meters!? Must be a good place to be in Winter!

Just looking at the Met Office/UKV for tonight.

21:00

ECCF361E-4113-4527-84AD-D5F147A974CC.thumb.png.350208be5c8af74154a1b8891574e8fa.pngF483AD57-F078-4362-9594-D0E3FFE0171B.thumb.png.4f0bc719d4f7f0f9bd17303c2e31eacf.png

Nothing can be ruled out after the last couple of weeks! Especially low levels in the Glasgow area! 

Exciting stuff yet again - Winter keeps on giving! 

Yes we have some great snow here! Snow is lying on grass now. No i am on furlough so i can sit back and watch it without worry. But normaly it is a nightmare haha.

• Like 4

Posted

Pretty good updated meto text forecast...

Strathclyde weather forecast

Tuesday 19 Jan - Saturday 23 Jan

Headline:

Cloudy with occasional rain, turning to snow at times.

This Evening and Tonight:

North Argyll staying mainly dry, a slight frost. Elsewhere cloudy with outbreaks of rain across Kintyre Ayrshire and Lanarkshire extending north into the Glasgow Area, and turning to snow on the hills. Minimum temperature -1 °C.

Wednesday:

Cloudy with occasional rain and hill snow, the snow penetrating to some lower ground in the afternoon and evening with significant falls on higher ground, though Argyll drier until overnight. Maximum temperature 4 °C.

Outlook for Thursday to Saturday:

Some sleet and snow pushing south on Thursday followed by brighter weather in afternoon with scattered showers. Wintry showers on Friday and Saturday.

• Like 8

Posted
21 minutes ago, Penicuikblizzard said:

Sleet falling at Fairmilehead now,, rain is turning already ❄️

Sleet here now too.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

The iPhone weather app ‘model’ is now pushing snow back to the early hours of the morning for the city. Harrumph.

• Like 3