Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted

If it could, the sun would be cracking the pavements but as it’s currently only 1.9c, I’m nae cracking oot the eggs just yet!

Overnight low of -0.8c, current DP 0.5c, no wind to speak of and pressure sitting at 1031.83hpa.

0E7F3359-4D2E-454E-B712-6CD2489F7F36.thumb.jpeg.fbfba24dd78455a0f5fa8f46e1f7c51f.jpeg

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
58 minutes ago, Quinach said:

Curious temperatures today.  4.4c now (11c in the greenhouse) but frost very stubbornly holding on in the shade.

More the point, got some Scandinavian visitors today, first in a couple of years - Bramblings.

Ooo, not seen them here since Dec 2010!

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
1 hour ago, Benvironment said:

Ooo, not seen them here since Dec 2010!

I will have to pay particular attention to my bird feeder station in future.   What I thought were Finches, may have been Bramblings..   Certainly very similar in colour.

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
42 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I will have to pay particular attention to my bird feeder station in future.   What I thought were Finches, may have been Bramblings..   Certainly very similar in colour.

Yep you'll often see them mingling with chaffinches, and they get lost in the general pinky-greyness

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
2 hours ago, Dundeeguy said:

Yesterday snowfall was interesting, Not in the warning area but a slight covering around low level dundee to broughty ferry etc. Higher up areas of dundee 80m+ away from coast had 2-3 cm. shows the importance of elevation. 

Tonight - forecast for my local area 90 metres altitude 

96BB32B5-96C3-41E6-9FBE-2C6BC602FB3E.png

Piperdam certainly done very well this week, altitude massive in marginal situations. 

• Like 5

Posted
23 minutes ago, Jamboperth11 said:

What's the crack tonight then, Perth in with a shout for more snow tonight? 

I live near Perth. I think we might get a little bit of falling snow but accumulations restricted to above 150m to start with, then rising up towards 300m later on. Though you should never rule anything out.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold. Enjoy all extremes though.
30 minutes ago, Cheggers said:

I can see this front tomorrow delivering loads of snaw, as I am away in Gateshead.

LOL.   Although, if the 6pm BBC forecast is anything to do with it - "You're not getting any!" *cough*

According to BBC, look for temperatures of 8C here tomorrow.  But...According to the Met Office warnings we have this:-

Yellow warning of snow, ice
Valid from 00:00 16/01/2021
to 18:00 16/01/2021

Issued by the Met Office on
Fri, 15 Jan 2021 10:21:38 GMT.

Any takers?

Screenshot_2021-01-15 UK weather warnings.png

Edited by Blitzen
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Snow
3 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

According to BBC, look for temperatures of 8C here tomorrow. 

The last time we were at 8C here was in the middle of December, and even then it was actually 7.9C

I don't see us getting anywhere near 8C tomorrow.....

• Like 3

Posted

Just back from a long walk throughout the streets in the west of Aberdeen and there's a pretty decent Windchill out there at the moment.

I suspect drifting snow may cause problems on higher routes tonight - falling snow and old loose blowing snow

2c, broken cloud and breezy

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, thunderstorms, gales. All extremes except humidity.

1.1C here from a max this afternoon of 2.3C. Cloudy as it has been all day with an increasing breeze from the South West. That cloud just stopped an air frost last night with a min of +0.1C

• Like 6

Posted

-1c, frosty and front incoming! Had hoped to see a few flakes before bed! We'll see! Kids football in the lashing rain tomorrow morning should be a giggle!

• Like 9

Posted

The front has moved in here and it is absolutely battering it down with.......rain!

Didn’t expect much else to be honest. 

Had a look in the mad house. All seems very gloomy and fractious tonight! 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
27 minutes ago, 101_North said:

-1c, frosty and front incoming! Had hoped to see a few flakes before bed! We'll see! Kids football in the lashing rain tomorrow morning should be a giggle!

We have cancelled all ours for January rather than try non contact with kids... Everytime I turn around they start wrestling each other so thought best to leave it. Our pitches have literally been unplayable since Xmas eve so that's a fair spell, have been frozen since then and now have several cms of ice.... Be interesting to see if it's playable at any point this week.... Kinda makes up for missing all the footy knowing it is unplayable anyway. 

Expecting icy rain here but OK with that as never interested in snow to rain. 

• Like 7

Posted
10 minutes ago, edo said:

We have cancelled all ours for January rather than try non contact with kids... Everytime I turn around they start wrestling each other so thought best to leave it. Our pitches have literally been unplayable since Xmas eve so that's a fair spell, have been frozen since then and now have several cms of ice.... Be interesting to see if it's playable at any point this week.... Kinda makes up for missing all the footy knowing it is unplayable anyway. 

Expecting icy rain here but OK with that as never interested in snow to rain. 

I'm a sucker for lamppost watching  

Tomorrow is the first attempt at outdoors, simply due to circumstances! Usually indoor pitches at this time of year but obviously there'll all shut down! We'll see how it goes!