Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter and dry and very warm in summer
58 minutes ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye I’ve got a 4x4 pick-up for work which makes things easier in the snow. Tbh though, a good set of winter or all weather tyres (few aficionados on here) will convert a lot of vehicles in to performers in the snow. Some cars surprise you though, partner’s wee Renault is rarely stuck, correct driving goes a long way. When conditions are dicey I often take the back roads as a fair few people on the a9 seem to sh*t themselves and drive too slow, you need a steady pace in the stuff

Appreciate the reply, yes winter tyres could well be an alternative. Luckily got access to a landrover defender for planned trips.

Nothing worse than the car in front heavy braking/panicking.

I just ask as this car with bigger engine and higher gearing (ie stalls if you put it in second below 10 mph, 80mph is below 2000 rpm) is garbage in the snow. I’m technically a ‘professional’ driver and could not keep up with my pal who’s a teacher driving his wee renault Clio. Car was bambi on ice, Winter tyres it is

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold and snowy or warm and dry

0.2/-0.1C, snowing and lying, but not to any depth. Quite a lot still to come though by the looks of the radar. 

• Like 5

Posted

Fabulous sunny frosty morning but clouded over in the afternoon and period of heavy sleet turning to snow started about 4.30pm and lasted  about an hour settling quickly on the very cold ground.Currently  1.5c with  snow falling.

Edited by Northernlights
  • Like 8

Posted

Nice to see others, including Mair Snaw getting the white stuff

Don't expect to see it here... again... but you never know!

Tim

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Subzero
1 hour ago, Northern Strath said:

Aye I’ve got a 4x4 pick-up for work which makes things easier in the snow. Tbh though, a good set of winter or all weather tyres (few aficionados on here) will convert a lot of vehicles in to performers in the snow. Some cars surprise you though, partner’s wee Renault is rarely stuck, correct driving goes a long way. When conditions are dicey I often take the back roads as a fair few people on the a9 seem to sh*t themselves and drive too slow, you need a steady pace in the stuff

On snow I'd trust my wee Fiesta with winter tyres on more than I'd trust the 4x4 we have at work...which has pretty rubbish summer tyres on it. It's certainly never failed me getting up and down the hill here. But at the end of the day it's the clearance underneath that brings me to a halt rather than the actual snow surface. The winter tyres are great but there's just not enough clearance underneath the car between the tyre tracks, and so I end up ploughing instead. 

EDIT - not that we ever get so much snow that ploughing occurs, mind

Edited by Benvironment
  • Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: where's my vote?

Most common winter car I've seen is aged Panda 4x4, jacked up (probably just extended struts) and with knobbly winter tyres. Not common here but in the Alps.  Big jeeps like we see in the UK aren't as common partly cos they're so damned expensive to keep on the road and I don't think mountain folk out there feel like lining the pockets of dealers as much as Brits seem willing to do.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer

Moderate snow on and all surfaces covered 

• Like 6

Posted

well after this mornings rain, at 4pm it was already frozen over. Now got some freezing fog developing, pretty rare we get fog here as we are low lying. One of the reasons Prestwick airport is usually used for emergencies. going to be another cold one tonight 

Edited by snowlessayr
  • Like 4

Posted
46 minutes ago, SW Saltire said:

Appreciate the reply, yes winter tyres could well be an alternative. Luckily got access to a landrover defender for planned trips.

Nothing worse than the car in front heavy braking/panicking.

I just ask as this car with bigger engine and higher gearing (ie stalls if you put it in second below 10 mph, 80mph is below 2000 rpm) is garbage in the snow. I’m technically a ‘professional’ driver and could not keep up with my pal who’s a teacher driving his wee renault Clio. Car was bambi on ice, Winter tyres it is

No worries, happy hunting (be it tyre or 4x4!) Nice to have access to a Defender, not a lot of places they won’t go. Aye those wee clio’s can be mean too

43 minutes ago, Benvironment said:

On snow I'd trust my wee Fiesta with winter tyres on more than I'd trust the 4x4 we have at work...which has pretty rubbish summer tyres on it. It's certainly never failed me getting up and down the hill here. But at the end of the day it's the clearance underneath that brings me to a halt rather than the actual snow surface. The winter tyres are great but there's just not enough clearance underneath the car between the tyre tracks, and so I end up ploughing instead. 

EDIT - not that we ever get so much snow that ploughing occurs, mind

Great stuff. Aye some of the wee cars are perfect until it’s too much and they essentially end up burrowing  We used to have an old vw beetle around when I was growing up, tweaked with pretty high clearance, the engine in the boot made it near unstoppable in the snow (without snow tyres). Bags of fun

Snow still going here

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, MAXcrazystorm said:

Juicy stuff... 

weather rrr.JPG

Oooh... that is juicy stuff I wonder if I'll get mega lucky and it will get here lol 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, MAXcrazystorm said:

Looks likely in Perth , good covering it looks like. 

Thank you my friend At least it's showing up before it's too late... if it does start I'll nip out and get a few pics

• Like 1

Posted

A trip over the hills to my office in Greenock today to pick some stuff up. Barely even a hint of snow even at the highest points of the road which surprised me. 

Everything frozen solid again. Definitely must be cold as our street had its first visit from a gritter in two years this afternoon. Normally more chance of a unicorn than a gritter down here. 

@SW Saltire I have run winter tyres on my cars for a number of years now and the difference is astounding. A front wheel drive on winter tyres is way better than a four wheel drive on summer tyres. They allow me to keep to snow covered backroads with no other traffic. The only time my previous Skoda Fabia got stuck was in deep snowdrifts. The current Focus ST has huge wide low profile tyres and even with winter tyres its not as good in the snow, but still 100 times better than running on summers. 

• Like 6

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gogoslo said:

Just rain on the coast here unfortunately.  

The air is supposed to get a bit colder in coming hours so there may be a chance of something a bit more wintry later (providing you get any precipitation).

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow winter, hot summer
2 minutes ago, doctormog said:

The air is supposed to get a bit colder in coming hours so there may be a chance of something a bit more wintry later (providing you get any precipitation).

Have you got anything in town Doc? A decent amount here but hard to tell without going outside.

• Like 3

Posted

Rain has just started here in Pittenweem. Air temp currently 1.6c

• Like 3