Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Scotland/Alba weather discussion - Jan 2021 onwards

LomondSnowstorm

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: SNAW
13 minutes ago, Mr Frost said:

Outrageous Met Office update...never seen them go into so much detail.

Sounds very much like a high risk/high rewards outlook 

Tuesday 19 Jan -Tuesday 2 Feb

Confidence for this period is low, though there is a signal for Atlantic mobility to weaken which perhaps allows conditions, at least in the north, to become drier and for temperatures to be closer to average. However, there is still a chance of cold air outbreaks in the north as flow across Scandinavia pushes across the North Sea. This would confine more unsettled conditions to the south, as well as milder than average temperatures. Further, this boundary between the cold and milder conditions could also allow for some significant snowfall where the two air masses meet.

Hopefully it become reality and the Scottish thread gets the goods! 

They forgot to mention "rain or cold rain for mair snaw"

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow in winter, good sun at other times with appropriate rain.
55 minutes ago, Blitzen said:

I can only conclude that we both lead a very sheltered, clean living life or we are both as thick as mince!!

Genesis 38:8-10. ⚡⚡⚡️Was the result I think.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, and lots of it

Impressive cold later this week!

Screen Shot 2021-01-05 at 5.10.08 PM.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: Warm/Dry enough for a t-shirt. Winter: Cold enough for a scarf.

So are we quite confident of some widespread snowfall on Thursday then?

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy
1 hour ago, Stuart Taylor said:

I'm not sure about this for tonight, can't see any precipitation on any charts I've looked at. Where do local authorities get their information from out of interest? 

Screenshot_20210105-173159_Facebook.jpg

They're just covering themselves after the complaints they've had about a lack of gritters. In reality almost every side road has been untouched since last week unless residents gritted it, most streets in Motherwell are impassable on foot unless you walk on the road.

• Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Stuart Taylor said:

I'm not sure about this for tonight, can't see any precipitation on any charts I've looked at. Where do local authorities get their information from out of interest? 

Sounds very much like A* *E covering to me. 

Let's be honest, they've gotten away with it by the skin of their teeth with the temp expected to rise as of Sunday because they would have been under real pressure if this cold was to last another couple of weeks without any time in between to organise again

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Scottish-Irish Skier said:

Is (was) that a giant redwood?

From the size of it, you could have rented it out to a 3G network and ensured coverage of much of west lothian. 

As for icy damp frozen pish...my road the morn:

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-05 at 09.21.49.jpeg

It was a redwood of some description. Not sure if it was a giant redwood or not. Bloody thing was less than 40yr old too! Apparently not even close to full size

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot Summers Snowy Winters Stormy Autumns
3 hours ago, Stuart Taylor said:

from the met office, they receive quite detailed data about predicted road surface temps etc and if there is a paricular risk then the chief forecaster provides a detailed summary.

• Like 4