Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yes it is mate. 

I genuinely feel volatitlity is through the roof. There is so much going on that i feel its a case of sitting back and keeping a level head and staying true to your beliefs on what should be getting churned out

At least we are in a far far better position compared to this time last year!

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

At least we are in a far far better position compared to this time last year!

Theres not much to worry about, there will be 10s of different runs all month because we have such a chaotic atmospheric state that needs deciphering. 

If anything enjoy the ride. 

Could be worse we could have just bought a ticket to the theme park and had it stolen the night before you go (last year)

Edited by Scott Ingham
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

FI starts 5th Jan - hope models get a better handle on things soon.

Edited by Notty
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: cold and snowy. Summer: hot and sunny
16 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

The ensembles have gone much flatter towards mid month - desperately need either a split SSW (proper one) or very good displacement to the East with no residual energy left to the NW in the lower strat and trop.

Is this what you were more expecting.

image.thumb.png.9d69747959150775679e4f2e8e18ba55.png

Sure, but the ensembles you refer to, from one model, are for two weeks away and before the full impacts of the SSW are realised. Surely saying that the wheels are starting to fall off is not right? 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
27 minutes ago, Stu_London said:

FI starts 7th Jan, based on those ensembles. 

To be fair Stu that is wrong,they look OK to me out to day ten☺️

ens_image.thumb.png.1248b2c6776f71f500603f8b653ce560.png

Edited by Allseasons-si
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
11 minutes ago, danm said:

Sure, but the ensembles you refer to, from one model, are for two weeks away and before the full impacts of the SSW are realised. Surely saying that the wheels are starting to fall off is not right? 

But i have seen these things before, it started with an uptic in temperature graph at the end of both main suites, saw it coming and when i told people they laughed, and now people are starting to see it in reality, its like they just cannot bring themselves to admit it, it happens every year.

12z GEFS.

image.thumb.png.7219ae3734a73fe59085d4eaab63c5cd.png

But overall still as long as the SSW is decent re- placement of residual votice(s) and quick downwelling, i am optimistic another ridge will be thrown up like someone pointed out at the end of the 18z GFS.

Edited by feb1991blizzard
  • Like 3

Posted

Worrying about long term ensembles in a volatile modelling period when the charts we have in the next 7 days are so good is really not going to be good for your mental model well-being Feb  

GFS ensembles being flat in FI when blocking is involved is like Groundhog Day really.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Posted
7 minutes ago, Allseasons-si said:

To be fair Stu that is wrong,they look OK to me out to day ten☺️

ens_image.thumb.png.1248b2c6776f71f500603f8b653ce560.png

Where do you find these ensemble graphs that come out earlier?!i normally gota wait till 12.30am to view the same graphs on netweather!!

Posted
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
  • Location: Abingdon - 55m ASL - Capital of The Central Southern England Corridor of Winter Convectionlessness
15 minutes ago, bobbydog said:

I wouldn't discount anything verifying at this time, however unlikely it seems.

However, those worrying about the Atlantic train returning, don't....

The train has lost its engine... 

gfsnh-10-384.thumb.png.2d51d8c0dc2b8682663df0e280e54281.png

Or as I see it, according to that chart, the Atlantic train is forecast to have lost its engine by 16 days from now.

Posted
2 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Or as I see it, according to that chart, the Atlantic train is forecast to have lost its engine by 16 days from now.

Long before then mate. Thats just the nuts and bolts the scrap men left behind...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Where do you find these ensemble graphs that come out earlier?!i normally gota wait till 12.30am to view the same graphs on netweather!!

On Wetterzentrale.de

WWW.WETTERZENTRALE.DE

Forecasted Temp 850hPa & Precipitation from GFS, 18Z

they come out as the mean/control runs are rolling out,i hope that helps☺️

• Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Snow>Freezing Fog; Summer: Sun>Daytime Storms
Just now, bobbydog said:

Long before then mate. Thats just the nuts and bolts the scrap men left behind...

Good. Is there an earlier chart? The earlier the better.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
17 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yes it is mate. 

I genuinely feel volatitlity is through the roof. There is so much going on that i feel its a case of sitting back and keeping a level head and staying true to your beliefs on what should be getting churned out

Agreed Scott but the day 11-15 signal *taken at face value* shows westerlies returning backed up by BBC/METO musings. For 4 days now the FI signal has been weakly flat so we can’t ignore it...The EPS were all over the present pattern and most of them are poor in the 15 day time period.

Thankfully we have a 2 week + reversal so even if we did revert to type it would be hard pushed to establish.

But as you say it’s so chaotic, going through the ens at day 8+ shows just about every pattern and wind direction you can think of, don’t even now if/how/what angle that trough is going to drop at day 6 so until that happens it’s a case of wait and see.

Really buoyed by the end of the 30dayer from Exeter vis increased chance of snow that to me says downwelling expected.

Also CANSIPS first seasonal to drop. The first passing bells are a ringing...

Last months run for Jan:

image.thumb.png.1142dbdead58241347939496160a6c5c.png

This months run:

image.thumb.png.9a86fa1a7c5ecd6a3cbb5b962969facb.png

Oops!

• Like 6

Posted

Still baffles me people cry and get stressed over some runs that go rogue IN FI - do we not learn anything?

a lot is going on at the moment? & we have more on our side for cold than not this winter,

even if we have to patient and endure some mild charts in FI - chance of them verifying are slim imo.

relax.

• Like 7

Posted
11 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

But i have seen these things before, it started with an uptic in temperature graph at the end of both main suites, saw it coming and when i told people they laughed, and now people are starting to see it in reality, its like they just cannot bring themselves to admit it, it happens every year.

12z GEFS.

image.thumb.png.7219ae3734a73fe59085d4eaab63c5cd.png

But then we haven't seen a smashed polar vortex like this in years. 

Seriously mate if you want to see the vortex any more split than its going to be, you're gonna need one of these...

NippyRemoteIberiannase-size_restricted.thumb.gif.5538cbe44f2219a2e38e6d84b850832e.gif

• Like 9

Posted

Wowser it's like a YO-YO in here at times. 

All because a chart go's a bit wonky like Charlie everyone gets up in arms and think this prolonged cold spell is OVER ⬅️Yeh I said over. 

It ain't we are in for a few shocks this Winter believe me.

All starting from Monday onwards and a few surprises before then. - 1.3 here and last night got down to - 5.2 and I am located in South East of ???????

IMG_20210101_011339.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Uptick at the end of the graph even bigger on this suite, its not like i am not providing evidence.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Uptick at the end of the graph even bigger on this suite, its not like i am not providing evidence.

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

All at day 10.

next

its like nothing changes nearer the time is it? No-one can call what’s going to happen.

we will have to wait and see but people expecting this run to verify have me laughing.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Uncertainy said:

Agreed Scott but the day 11-15 signal *taken at face value* shows westerlies returning backed up by BBC/METO musings. For 4 days now the FI signal has been weakly flat so we can’t ignore it...The EPS were all over the present pattern and most of them are poor in the 15 day time period.

Thankfully we have a 2 week + reversal so even if we did revert to type it would be hard pushed to establish.

But as you say it’s so chaotic, going through the ens at day 8+ shows just about every pattern and wind direction you can think of, don’t even now if/how/what angle that trough is going to drop at day 6 so until that happens it’s a case of wait and see.

Really buoyed by the end of the 30dayer from Exeter vis increased chance of snow that to me says downwelling expected.

Also CANSIPS first seasonal to drop. The first passing bells are a ringing...

Last months run for Jan:

image.thumb.png.1142dbdead58241347939496160a6c5c.png

This months run:

image.thumb.png.9a86fa1a7c5ecd6a3cbb5b962969facb.png

Oops!

Oh i agree.

They cant be ignored and they could prove to be correct but to my mind they dont make any actual sense other than they are picking up on the early MJO signals working through 3 and 4 and imprinting these as fact.

I just cant see how those heights in the polar region could be antwhere near what they are with no fuel to get the vehicle moving.

All will be revealed. You and feb make very valid points backed up by very valid ensemble evidence so i have empathy and understanding on why you would come to that conclusion.

But for me no. I just dont see it. I think this period will look very different this time next week.

Only time will tell. If it turns out we do hit s mobile period then we do and ive got it wrong as is normally the case anyway forecasting but either way i would then only see the end of january revert to very cold type again

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

ensemble-tt6-london.gif

U answered your own question. ‘At the end of the chart ‘ 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, The Enforcer said:

Good. Is there an earlier chart? The earlier the better.

Ok, well here's what's happening right now-

gfsnh-10-6.thumb.png.db8027e7c6421cdaaf43ec28c751b080.png

And here's a week's time-

gfsnh-10-162.thumb.png.ef06bbe92d5ef949ce2c456916899784.png

We'd normally see temps of down to -88c in a strong vortex. As you can see, its a shadow of its former self in just a week's time.

(It's trying to look happy but it's a strained smile...)    

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2