Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
1 minute ago, sheikhy said:

Right to keep this simple theres 2 things to look out for on 12z gfs!!less developed shortwave at 120 hours coming out the continent which should then keep cold air over us for the 6 and 7th and the second is further improvements with that droopy low to the north of us!!anyway am done i be back around 3.30 peeps

the 12z GFS ,. seems to always upgrade what was shown on the 06z ~~ let's hope I haven't cursed this now

• Like 1

Posted

GFS dropping the low pressure to our east perfect driving in some -10hpa 

looks very good to me,but still big question marks past 168 hrs .Lots going

on stratosphere/troposphere so don’t be surprised of some major changes in a short

time frame.

• Like 1

Posted

6z GFS has 300 hours of snow opportunities ...Not going to grumble at that ! GFSp still going at day 10...

CD5A4CDC-0E9E-4C43-910B-835C1CCDE819.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

Well, there's a bewildering array of options being presented at the moment.  From the 6z GFS at 246

image.thumb.png.0ed7c6324546e9c4c7221e86cf3d666d.png

To the Para at 222

image.thumb.png.07bde2029cb2b19850ef94ff0d316558.png

Still amazing runs coming out, but a word of caution.  FI is even earlier in the runs that usual, I would say that anything beyond 96 is to be taken with a large pinch of salt, the chaos above in the strat is going to cause increased 'Shannon' for a while yet.  So whether they're showing frigid easterlies or warm south westerlies, treat each run with with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Just enjoy the ride, it's going on for a while yet! 

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Well, there's a bewildering array of options being presented at the moment.  From the 6z GFS at 246

image.thumb.png.0ed7c6324546e9c4c7221e86cf3d666d.png

To the Para at 222

image.thumb.png.07bde2029cb2b19850ef94ff0d316558.png

Still amazing runs coming out, but a word of caution.  FI is even earlier in the runs that usual, I would say that anything beyond 96 is to be taken with a large pinch of salt, the chaos above in the strat is going to cause increased 'Shannon' for a while yet.  So whether they're showing frigid easterlies or warm south westerlies, treat each run with with a healthy dose of scepticism.

Just enjoy the ride, it's going on for a while yet! 

I was about ask, could the up coming events in the atmosphere be confusing the models now and they can’t get a handle on it? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!
1 minute ago, fromey said:

I was about ask, could the up coming events in the atmosphere be confusing the models now and they can’t get a handle on it? 

I would say almost certainly yes, but to what degree remains to be seen.  I'm sure one of the strat bods on here will give an update.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything

D7 on the 06z gefs and this is def FI. There looks like three clusters and variation within each of those. Trough dropping at d6; trough delayed to d8; or maybe easterly continuing, as per the control, till d9 before dropping?

gens_panel_fzo6.png

The delayed options seem a route to a flatter pattern in our sector with the control the worse, op middling and ecm-like the best (for cold)?

Edited by IDO
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
1 minute ago, snowking said:

Indeed. As much as I would continue to advise not concerning yourself with anything beyond day 5 right now on operational (because solutions after this time will continue to flip wildly from solution to solution I suspect) that certainly seems to be the direction of travel by around day 15.

Who knows where it will end up (NWP certainly won’t for at least another 10 days), but if we are seeing a direct stratospheric/tropospheric imprint, then that leaves us in a pretty good situation in terms of Greenland heights in the extended period - we may, as a result, have to see a slight relaxation of the prevailing pattern between days 10-15 to get there so don’t be surprised to see models toying with this idea (though whether it happens or not who knows - with an Arctic high in the mix everything is up for grabs)

General idea is increasingly cold and zonality nowhere to be seen.

When was the last time we could say that at the start of January 

It all looks to be going flat in the 10-15 range and has looked that way for a good amount of consecutive ensemble suites now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)

Oh man, this is light years better than last winter..oh yeah, and a few before that!!!!!!...here’s the ECM 0z op / mean...and there’s a ton of other evidence!!...!..the op has improved from last evenings 12z..or am I a liar?...too me we are in for..well..winter, you know, the kind we haven’t had for years!!...ps..happy new year!  .fingers and all that!

F4ACD857-2AF6-4BC9-8A1C-23F5BA04012D.thumb.gif.26f664d08f15b2a9b17e7bfedaccf64b.gif2907B5B7-BD5E-4CAD-8A61-1B3E815A0D00.thumb.gif.b0042091b0d4a76f6659d0b8bdaabdf7.gifD23F2608-7914-458D-80BF-0CE88DCFF670.thumb.gif.1c992a6610b72f006235cebb4300e0d1.gifC6551D91-3588-4604-883A-BD1BB135DB54.thumb.png.bf1a450977886bdea7f6952ae6e1dd1a.png46780522-93BE-48C4-98E9-80FBFC38C2EE.thumb.png.12ca72b0a2fd5c6b750f620c8f3b3c79.png

432BAB98-6F37-4B95-A01F-44AF5B30C040.gif
Better op than yesterday evenings 12z..hmm.less marginal!..I think I’ve learned a thing or 2 during the last 15 years!

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.

Simply lovely ....snow city

image.thumb.png.365c5d6e98d5cef1dec921ce688b6cc7.png

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
Just now, Howie said:

What's the location

West Yorkshire near Pennines

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
8 minutes ago, IDO said:

D7 on the 06z gefs and this is def FI. There looks like three clusters and variation within each of those. Trough dropping at d6; trough delayed to d8; or maybe easterly continuing, as per the control, till d9 before dropping?

gens_panel_fzo6.png

The delayed options seem a route to a flatter pattern in our sector with the control the worse, op middling and ecm-like the best (for cold)?

Yes be it fi there is a trend for the Atlantic to fade somewhat and flatten. I think any introduction of an ssw could be shuffling things around in the strat but bit beyond my pay band. Still all to play for and imo anything beyond 7 days is rather suspect after looking threw all output so far this morning. Cold remains the theme tho with wintryness

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Any kind of extremes. But the more snow the better.

Lots of pre SSW excitement, some of the output have 850s around - 6C to - 8C through next week... Are we going to get disturbances from the NW or the SE later next week! With surely some convection off the North Sea inbetween.. Either way folks this is not your normal period of January conditions.. The Pacific jet looks strong, but is completely dead on its ar@e over the North Atlantic.. 

Happy New Year all you hardened weather geeks..

UW144-21 (1).gif

UW144-7.gif

tenor-29.gif

Edited by MATTWOLVES
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Arome, Harmonie, and arpege already picking up on disturbances and showers in only -5 or -6 air 850 temps.

I would use these over the next week regarding the initial Easterly for snow chances in your area, rather than the cut and paste of the ECM that the BBC seem to use.

arpegeuk-42-34-0.png

arpegeuk-42-51-0.png

aromehd-42-34-0 (1).png

aromehd-42-39-0.png

harmonieeur40-42-48-3.png

harmonieeur40-42-34-3.png

• Like 7

Posted

Will a good snow dumping affect the the required uppers of currently -7 to -8 ?  -- I wonder how significant -5 and -6 uppers would be to snow covered land? 

I believe the beast from the East when it started to break down lead to some very heavy snow events as the milder air clashed with the cold air.. nearly the whole of the UK , shown on a satellite was covered in snow.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
48 minutes ago, General Cluster said:

Nowt marginal about this... Shame it's out in La La Land!:santa-emoji:

h500slp.png    h850t850eu.png

Hey Ed.. I mean Pete..there’s plenty of cold on the models before La La Land!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold ,snow
8 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Are we still at day 10 for the good stuff?

Tbh the only thing looking like happening is some wintry showers moving east next week esp over high ground. Mabye turning to snow showers if 850s permit

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Battleground Snow said:

Arome, Harmonie, and arpege already picking up on disturbances and showers in only -5 or -6 air 850 temps.

I would use these over the next week regarding the initial Easterly for snow chances in your area, rather than the cut and paste of the ECM that the BBC seem to use.

arpegeuk-42-34-0.png

arpegeuk-42-51-0.png

aromehd-42-34-0 (1).png

aromehd-42-39-0.png

harmonieeur40-42-48-3.png

harmonieeur40-42-34-3.png

Is there a link to this please ?

10 minutes ago, saintkip said:

Are you referring to very cold weather/more widespread snowfall? 

Unfortunately there's a lot of uncertainty with the SSW and being that FI seems to start a lot sooner timeframe 

I do share you're frustration though 

Anything could possibly happen at this point so we just have to wait and see 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny summers and snowy winters
12 minutes ago, saintkip said:

the good stuff is always 10 days away in the models!

• Like 6