Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted

What a stunning u-turn from UKMO and ECM! The ECM essembles had been pointing at a warm up for a few days now but that is some flip.

Long way back to cold it seems now, the weather always seems to make fools of us.

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter synoptics.Hot summers.
WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Will the trough drop or not? 

Thhe panel says yes

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
9 minutes ago, Severe Siberian icy blast said:

Do you not think the fact only last night the gfs was probably the snowiest run iv ever saw, and now this mornings charts show milder Atlantic based air just tells you the volatility of the models as they get to grips with what's happening above,, not to mention how models find it nutoriously difficult modelling a break down? 

The 18z is called the pub rub for a reason and def makes the following 0z always seem like an anti-climax.

The gefs and seemingly the ecm suite still hold a modicum of hope, but this late in the day when we are so close to prolonging the cold as we enter the intermediary period of change, a switch by the ecm and ukmo op is a plot twist even the Eastender's writers would not inflict on their viewers!

d10 ecm means: EDE0-240.thumb.gif.79a1e5450ba44f330642e0a7e5a5bb08.gif1661187272_EDE1-240(1).thumb.gif.99bff52883945fa6e88423e583020906.gif

No need for a commentary on these; a rogue suite hopefully, but does suggest the op is too progressive. The 12z will tell us whether the op is leading or too quick?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Nothing too exciting on this morning's GFS 00Z (so I'll nae bother posting it) But, it's worth pointing out that today's modelled Uppers -- -5, -6 or -7C -- were spot on; and rain/sleet showers are, as expected, the order of the day!:santa-emoji:

Ignore the hype, and go with the flow: image.thumb.png.71bf2475d3febc943e35e6a26cd0556f.png

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Southerly tracking LPs, heavy snow. Also 25c and calm
19 hours ago, BLAST FROM THE PAST said:

Disagree Tim.  The movement to that point one can see that Atlantic HP will not ridge further north.  The elongated trough in Iceland and the shallow HP heights over Greenland means it’s going nowhere or will sink.

now look at UKMO and Iceland

image.thumb.gif.435d4f71c8a1e1edd771270372385dbd.gif

BFTP

image.thumb.gif.c2f60db921604c57a2df28c5c0d4ddfd.gif

Yesterday UKMO at t144 so let’s look at t120 today

image.thumb.gif.85ea614421d0120c0e93afee7f9754d3.gif

now let’s look at yesterday’s 6z t144 GFS

image.thumb.png.b0def081af0f692a948204fbe7815cbd.png

UKMO gone with the GFS of yesterday morning but GFS this morning has pulled away from the sinker.

BFTP

Edited by BLAST FROM THE PAST
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything
2 minutes ago, bluearmy said:

I’ve numbered the features 1 to 4. You can see how the uncertainty re each feature evolves

1 is the initial drop of heights from the north which may well be a little further west than the mean and op show

2 is the Atlantic upper ridge whic may not quite be so intrusive as the mean shows

3 is the following drop of heights from the nw which could go anywhere but is certainly well within the envelope to drop across nw Europe as the upper ridge retracts 

4 is the sceuro trough which is likely to maintain low heights to our east and southeast 

the mean (and op) cannot be discounted but the spreads show the uncertainty and where the clusters should be - I wonder if they concur ??

image.thumb.png.15e95f0ecd85897e3f902476e29a6565.png

image.thumb.png.8d24dc7b9abb0facb5d65c00acda6bf9.png

image.thumb.png.0ef2dcc15787c0d85e34c1312cfde3c1.png

image.thumb.png.0fffcc413f08bc2da49e6dc34c766a1b.png

I do think the ecm op is wrong, but it does not happen in the d8-10 period, so cannot be dismissed with prejudice. Looking at the gefs at d6-7 only three follow the op:

gens_panel_zmo4.png

This makes me doubt the ecm take. It is post the trough-dropping on the gefs that clusters go flatter at different times in the run...

Posted

Looking at the NHP for all the 0z runs, the one thing all the models look to be doing is moving the vortex core from west to east, (less obvious on the UKMO because of the timeframe). So although the ECM and UKMO look to be flattening the Atlantic somewhat, there shouldn’t  be the energy available to really fire up the Atlantic and cold UK prospects should remain.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: cold snow, thunderstorms

30hpa and 10hpa.

there’s going to be a lot more flipping and flopping to come!

DE7DDE03-F94F-4166-8E81-99E0DC62D41D.jpeg

AD6ED2C4-52D4-4669-BDA6-2AF3ADCBCD71.jpeg

• Like 8

Posted

You can powder coat it all you like but from where we was 2/3 days ago to now, the ECM and UKMO are a bit of a let down this morning.

Gfs and it's essembles have improved since 12 hours ago but we need the 2 big guns onboard.

A massive 12z coming later, far too early to be bringing the fat singing lady out, but we do not want the ECM  and ukmo going anymore the way they have gone this morning.

Not a moan or a tantrum lol just a clear observation of what is in front of me.  

ECMOPEU00_240_2 (2).png

UKMOPEU00_144_1 (1).png

Edited by Harsh Climate
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted

It will be interesting to see how long the GFS takes to follow the ECM and UKMO and flatten the pattern.

The 6z might be a slight nod to it, with the 12z fully onboard I think.

Then we can start looking to the SSW impacts from mid month.

• Like 1

Posted

spacer.pngGEFS 0z ensembles

spacer.pngECM 0z ensemble mean

A lot of spread from both sets of 0z ensembles this morning and much uncertainty after 9th Jan ( with the trend of some warmer 850 hPa temps )

However plenty for coldies to get excited about in the next 5 days with the highest probability of widespread snow chances for the UK since 2018 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowfall
9 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

It will be interesting to see how long the GFS takes to follow the ECM and UKMO and flatten the pattern.

The 6z might be a slight nod to it, with the 12z fully onboard I think.

Then we can start looking to the SSW impacts from mid month.

Of course it was only recently that it was the latter who were dragged kicking and screaming toward the former.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Volatility.

And on to the 12z.

Trends terrible on the euros but a calm subjective mind is needed.

Id be slow to pull out the childish i told you so posts or the writing has been on the wall etc just yet with the spread available but again trends arent great!

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Most(see in interests section.)
23 minutes ago, JoeShmoe said:

Someone ought to pin this post and honestly some folk need to just take a few days off and enjoy the cold spell we currently have instead of always looking for an extension or breakdown 

Well I have had no snow here ( one light flurry literally few flakes the other day . Rest has been rain or sleet. But I see so many places across the country even Bristol had a lot yesterday and further southwest too  plus east snd north snd midlands as well , I'm really happy for everyone getting snow as brings some joy to a really crappy 2020 just gone . I lost my dad 12 weeks ago . 
Id love to see snow but I'm really happy most others have had some and wish you all more . I think even here there maybe a chance or two this coming week .

stsy safe stay happy enjoy the snow be kind to one another . 
oh, abd ignore gfs in particular past day 5/6  we have enough hissy fits from gfs .

enjoy everyone and wish you all happy 2021 

• Like 8

Posted
53 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

Blue army let’s hope . Can not believe the change in models this late , can GFS be that wrong 

We’ve had easterlies disappear at T72 before with cross model support, so it’s quite believable. Sadly, too many people are misled by false promises.

If the 12z suite show similar, then this one is done for now.

• Like 3

Posted

People always mention about the lack of PV this winter and how that is constantly a good thing,yes it should help in terms of cold but with out that there is no real driver to our weather,what I'm saying is we may well need something to shake the whole pattern up a little bit.at the moment the weather just seems rather dull and boring quite stagnant,all the weather seems to be the other side of the hemisphere.I don't personally see anything very cold in the next couple of weeks we need troughing into northern and eastern Europe otherwise there is very little cold we can tap into,yes we can create our own cold pools but that's not anything severe.people keep mentioning about the ssw effects but even that doesn't guarantee cold it all depends where the split vortex lobes end up.having said all that I am no expert honestly and it could indeed turn for the better again,but as others have said this morning with the ECM and UKMO singing from the same sheet it does seem highly unlikely now.

• Like 5