Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Model output discussion - Into 2021

Paul
Message added by Paul,

Please stick to discussing the model output in this thread. For more general chat , please use the winter/cold weather/snow chat, banter, moans and ramps thread

For local cold/snow and weather related chat, please head over to the Regional Area.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: severe storms,snow wind and ice

I know we are all getting a bit giddy at day ten plus charts,...but they a starting to show a down well response

C U in the morning guys for episode 4 of season 2021

• Like 3

Posted

yeah lets not take beyond 120 hours to seriously. 

Below average to cold locked in for 4-5 days - will some possible snow events popping up in places. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
9 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

You mean 1684 MIA?

Been casually observing the model thread for a number of years, but never seen a chart like this. Truly awesome.

Probably...

All I know is that it produced daytime maxs of -18C in South East England on an Easterly gale!

I wonder what power the turbines in the North Sea will create if an event similar to this unfolded?

MIA

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but the prevailing wind!
15 minutes ago, snowking said:

There will be some hangovers in this thread in the morning.

These are the sorts of charts I think a lot of us were expecting to see around the day 15-20 period and here they are for all to see.

Almost certainly a bit extreme and changed again with the next run - but then again, a 12 day+ reversal likely peaking at over -20m/s, this is not out of the question...it’s just probably on the very edge of the envelope

Would feel better if some more EPS members went for it SK, they’re just too generally flat at the minute to truly back the early downwelling wave evolution. But as you say, it’s there in the envelope and great to see... And plenty of time for the EPS to flip.

Saying that... You can add the JMA to our growing evening Motley Crew!

image.thumb.gif.d7a87a7ba55ba096d29b24024bcbcc0c.gif

• Like 1

Posted

Yet. Again.

Mild incursion 

Or just an attempt at one that adds moisture to a freezing cold UK

Tomorrow to confirm for me.

I hope so anyway to stop some of the un nessary worry about a "mild" mid month!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Hot and Sunny but not opressive

What’s the Navgem 18z up to tonight .  

2BB01586-D3CC-44A4-AEB8-00C650333369.png

2CFC2B33-0F71-474B-B551-58ECD93E1128.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hurricanes, Thunderstorms and blizzards please!

OK, enough silliness!  As I stated earlier (along with many others), expect some really volatile output over the next few days before the models start settling down for the mid month period.  I honestly think what's just been thrown out is totally plausible, anything is possible at the moment.  We are currently commencing an SSW that has been described as 'extreme' (maybe hyperbole, maybe not!), and as such we have a chance of some truly exception weather.  We don't even need to throw a double 6 either.

We will see, but what a brilliant time to be a weather geek.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All of it!
17 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Probably...

All I know is that it produced daytime maxs of -18C in South East England on an Easterly gale!

I wonder what power the turbines in the North Sea will create if an event similar to this unfolded?

MIA

Nothing more than normal, they disengage at a modest wind speed ??

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, CreweCold said:

I think I say this for almost everyone here, but I hope it's the latter!

For me and ive been adamant on an extreme level. This outcome never went away its just a computer model overly semsitive to extreme parameters it coudnt decipher.

It needed human forecasting to apply logic and learnings to see past dodgy runs and dodgy ensemble sets.

The learning will be never take weather models at statostical face value when you believe the science in your head

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
35 minutes ago, Jason H said:

Lol. Look where that northerly originates from. The other side of the pole. That's never going to happen. Nice to look at though. 

Hi Jason, can you explain why the wind direction over pole to the UK would not happen ? Cheers

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Yet. Again.

Mild incursion 

Or just an attempt at one that adds moisture to a freezing cold UK

Tomorrow to confirm for me.

I hope so anyway to stop some of the un nessary worry about a "mild" mid month!

spot on! i dont see anything other than an influx of percipitation too fridgid air..

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Met4Cast said:

I tweeted a few days ago saying it was likely the models (but GFS in particular) would lose the plot as the SSW began to take hold.. I think we've just seen that with the 18z and then some.

What an absolutely insane run! Snow for just about all, the cold across Siberia is something I've never seen before, a direct NE from that would be absolutely crippling & would without doubt beat the classic winters of past. 

A true classic pub run! 

Thats hit the nail on the head its easy to forecast statistically but not easy to look at a set of ensembles showimg support for mild but apply known logic and background noise to proclaim these wrong

Second guessing is a hard thing to do in forecasting so i admire you for sticking to your principles

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme
25 minutes ago, Ice Day said:

Poor GFS tonight

image.thumb.png.193fa5659d30528c85307e7abb09f208.pngimage.thumb.png.658181ad7b12c910212111030af35fbd.pngimage.thumb.png.73d4fb64518b809763329318e2822673.png  

GFSP nothing to write home about

image.thumb.png.29c393d089f1f8163ffcee88405559af.pngimage.thumb.png.ba1c234ccf2290500a7ae0b71a1a6fda.pngimage.thumb.png.eff2d8ff232d51125dc662b21eb380fd.png  

Nothing to see here - just standard UK winter fayre

Reverse psychology GFS .....it's just churning out it's usual crap from what I can see...........

Edited by Mark Parsons
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.
2 minutes ago, Scott Ingham said:

Thats hit the nail on the head its easy to forecast statistically but not easy to look at a set of ensembles showimg support for mild but apply known logic and background noise to proclaim these wrong

Second guessing is a hard thing to do in forecasting so i admire you for sticking to your principles

image.thumb.png.e024893f99fb1ec611428b940f53db76.pngimage.thumb.png.0e039ae743ee09b4d83a463323fe7e72.png

Steep rise towards mid month, evidence is overwhelming.

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

image.thumb.png.e024893f99fb1ec611428b940f53db76.pngimage.thumb.png.0e039ae743ee09b4d83a463323fe7e72.png

Steep rise towards mid month, evidence is overwhelming.

Skewed by some outrageously wrong ensemble members.

I know you have this view but as you know i strongly believe we will be hangimg on to cold weather.

Im not playing idea tennis

Well soon know the weather on the ground

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Met4Cast said:

A few days ago we were looking at a warming trend from the 9th. Now it's the 12th. In a couple of days time I suspect it'll be the 15th. As the SSW begins to happen, models are going to struggle to resolve what happens next, the 18z tonight is an extreme example of that, I suspect we'll see some extreme mild options being thrown out too. 

The ensembles with their lower resolution are going to struggle even more. The ECM should have a better handle on things, sure there's a slight warming trend within the mean but look at the spread of solutions, there's quite a cold clustering there also. 

Worth noting the GFS isn't interested in moving the MJO eastwards where all other models do, it's likely wrong there, and that'll have implications on what it's predicting for our side of the hemisphere too. 

Steady as she goes.. I fully expect the "breakdown" to be pushed back again. And again.. and perhaps again. I try to keep things sensible when forecasting, if anything I'm overly cautious when it comes to jumping on board with cold patterns for the UK, but I'm fully on board with this one. 

In my opinion, the ensembles showing the warm up are likely wrong. It doesn't fit.

I can vouch for you having no cold bias as we had a heated debate not long ago when you had reasons to believe we would be mild at that point 

• Like 2

Posted

Look at the ensembles knock off 3 degrees on the mean mid month.

It will be a bit warmer but it coincides wth slider/battleground/runner events

Very slight warm up

Very huge increase in snow

Then back in the freezer.

The danger is seeing a mean temp rise and thinking south westerlies when its hiding a small rise and extra moisture

• Like 3

Posted

Right so the red mean line in the next 5 days.

Watch that flatline around -5 or slightly above with every set.

Ive highlighted precipitaion

Watch that stay similar indicating moisture.

Watch for lows and short waves bumping into our huge cold pool and watch for very snowy runs from circa the 12th.

Then look for signs of this mean red 850s line taking a nose dive after the 20th when we see reversal im full swing and easterlies

20210103_012102.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun, Snow and Storms
1 minute ago, Battleground Snow said:

Ukmo v GFS at 96.

Ukmo improvement compared to its 12z with Greenland heights orientation. 

gfsnh-0-96.png

UN96-21 (4).gif

Wow BS...I woke up dreaming of the  weather...

Don't you ever sleep?

MIA

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Midlands Ice Age said:

Wow BS...I woke up dreaming of the  weather...

Don't you ever sleep?

MIA

Turn into a bit of insomniac when the output is this good!

Ukmo 120 v GFS 120. Hopefully GFS is leading the way. It has the better Greenland profile.

gfsnh-0-120 (3).png

UN120-21 (4).gif

• Like 1