Jump to content
Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion - 30th Dec 2020 onwards


Recommended Posts

Posted
  • Location: Darlington
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
  • Location: Darlington

    A very slight covering in darlington but nothing falling since this morning. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Top Posters In This Topic

    Popular Posts

    North East has seen it's biggest fall since Sunderland dropped into League One. 

    8:30 Monday morning..... Colleague - "good weekend?"  Me - "aye not bad" Colleague - "what you do" Me - "watched a weather radar for 16 hours" Colleague - "wtf is wrong with y

    Well I spent the last week convincing my dad it was definitely happening, it was going to be proper snow. He’s spent today taking the mick out of me.  He’s just sent me this he wrote 🙄   F

    Posted Images

    Posted
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl

    This was heighington village this afternoon...

    PXL_20210106_124739185.jpg

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees

    North York Moors looks to be in a sweet spot later along with Hartlepool, as always looks like it misses me lol. 

    78E87510-3389-4502-9940-64C027F3CF8A.jpeg

    Edited by NorthEastSnow
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Guisborough
  • Location: Guisborough
    1 hour ago, NorthEastSnow said:

    North York Moors looks to be in a sweet spot later along with Hartlepool, as always looks like it misses me lol. 

    78E87510-3389-4502-9940-64C027F3CF8A.jpeg

    Thanks NES, where is this radar available. 

    Guisborough, on the edge of the moors, had a decent snow shower this afternoon, had sleet / wet snow later but you can see the snow settled another 50m higher. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
    1 hour ago, Gizzy said:

    Thanks NES, where is this radar available. 

    Guisborough, on the edge of the moors, had a decent snow shower this afternoon, had sleet / wet snow later but you can see the snow settled another 50m higher. 

    This is the snow radar app on iPhone comes with home and dry app also. It’s my go to app for weather it’s really good and reliable.....most the time lol, 👍🏻

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Guisborough
  • Location: Guisborough
    40 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

    This is the snow radar app on iPhone comes with home and dry app also. It’s my go to app for weather it’s really good and reliable.....most the time lol, 👍🏻

    Thanks, will take a look. 

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees

    Lovely nice white frost out there today which if anything feels like winter. He’s hoping for at least some snow before mind air arrives. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: redcar,cleveland
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
  • Location: redcar,cleveland
    17 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

    Lovely nice white frost out there today which if anything feels like winter. He’s hoping for at least some snow before mind air arrives. 

    Think we have a decent chance tomorrow and today to a lesser extent. Will be very marginal for me near the coast but inland could see a couple of cm’s 

    Reminds be of a time when a front pushed south think it was 2008 when it reinvigorated and gave a good snow event. Remember the BBC weather saying there was a kink in the weather front that was unexpected. Geordiesnow will remember it 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees

    Let’s hope so. The radar seems to have a big area of snow moving down from Scotland than seems to hit the snow dome of the north east and shatters into pieces. 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pittington durham
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Pittington durham

    Looks like tomorrow morning could be the main event. Met office going for 6 hours of snow in durham. This could be the best snowfall of the cold spell. This ties in with the gfs precipitation charts as posted in the mod thread.

    Screenshot_20210107-103029.png

    Edited by Northumberland snowman
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
    3 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

    Looks like tomorrow morning could be the main event. Met office going for 6 hours of snow in durham tomorrow morning. This could be the best snowfall of the cold spell. 

    Screenshot_20210107-103029.png

    Rain for my area on the met office app. Saying that Durham would get snow in summer 😂 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Catchgate, Durham,705ft asl
  • Location: Catchgate, Durham,705ft asl

    A few flakes falling here now after a very cold night.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pittington durham
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Pittington durham
    5 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

    Rain for my area on the met office app. Saying that Durham would get snow in summer 😂 

    I reckon most places will get a covering.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Durham, Co Durham
  • Location: Durham, Co Durham

    Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for something a bit milder - I still need to get out and walk off the Christmas excess. I generally get a 10km walk in before work most days, but it's just been too icy to contemplate. I'm being a bit over-cautious perhaps, but it would be just like me to go A over T and end up in A&E at the peak of the pandemic.

    So I'm probably being a bit unfashionable in looking forward to next week :).

     

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
    10 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

    Well, I don't know about anyone else, but I'm ready for something a bit milder - I still need to get out and walk off the Christmas excess. I generally get a 10km walk in before work most days, but it's just been too icy to contemplate. I'm being a bit over-cautious perhaps, but it would be just like me to go A over T and end up in A&E at the peak of the pandemic.

    So I'm probably being a bit unfashionable in looking forward to next week :).

     

    Now where is that ban button 😂 

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne (Spital Tongues)
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms
  • Location: Newcastle Upon Tyne (Spital Tongues)

    Light snow falling in Newcastle now.

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl

    Snow this morning in Bedlington...

    At Annfield Plain now and light snow flurries.

    PXL_20210107_101014808.jpg

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
  • Location: Newton Aycliffe, County Durham... 90m asl
    Just now, doctor32 said:

    Snow this morning in Bedlington...

    At Annfield Plain now and light snow flurries.

    PXL_20210107_101014808.jpg

    Picture at Bedlington ❄️

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Westmoor, Newcastle Upon Tyne (NE12)
  • Location: Westmoor, Newcastle Upon Tyne (NE12)

    light snow now falling in Westmoor🙂

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Penrith Cumbria
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
  • Location: Penrith Cumbria

    For once the best of the snow seems to be in Cumbria today, 3cms of dry powdery snow has fallen this morning to give a  Christmas card scene, temperature below freezing so no belt either.

    Andy

    20210107_120010.jpg

    • Like 2
    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: North York Moors
  • Location: North York Moors
    1 hour ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

    This was in my way to work this morning near Blakey near westerdale and farndale..... What a sight!

    IMG_20210107_094642.jpg

    We had quite a heavy snow shower about 8pm but there was already quite a bit higher up.
    Then it went down below -3 so the wet snow is like a skating rink on all the minor roads.

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
  • Location: Hartburn / Stockton-on-Tees
    3 hours ago, Northumberland snowman said:

    I reckon most places will get a covering.

    Really? I have a feeling a lot of us will have a slushy mess. Just can’t see the uppers being cold enough. Hope I’m wrong, 

    Link to post
    Share on other sites
    Posted
  • Location: Pittington durham
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
  • Location: Pittington durham
    4 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

    Really? I have a feeling a lot of us will have a slushy mess. Just can’t see the uppers being cold enough. Hope I’m wrong, 

    It could be marginal at the coast. Certainly looks like a lot of sleet/rain in north northumberland near the coast on the latest radar.

    An advantage is it's falling at night so should be a little colder

    • Like 1
    Link to post
    Share on other sites

    Create an account or sign in to comment

    You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

    Create an account

    Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

    Register a new account

    Sign in

    Already have an account? Sign in here.

    Sign In Now
    ×
    ×
    • Create New...