Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion - 30th Dec 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

Just seen some blue sky cloud most be starting to break up 

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

North East has seen it's biggest fall since Sunderland dropped into League One. 

8:30 Monday morning..... Colleague - "good weekend?"  Me - "aye not bad" Colleague - "what you do" Me - "watched a weather radar for 16 hours" Colleague - "wtf is wrong with y

Well I spent the last week convincing my dad it was definitely happening, it was going to be proper snow. He’s spent today taking the mick out of me.  He’s just sent me this he wrote 🙄   F

Posted Images

Posted

Look at the southward movement in just the last 3 hours, we've just got to endure this snizzle for a bit longer.

Screenshot_20210207-152523_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-152426_Chrome.jpg

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
    4 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

Suspect that is near the Highlands part of Aberdeenshire and that snow is from that weather front that hit Scotland for several days, doubt the city centre has anything like that at all. 

And yes shower intensity should improve as we go through tonight and into tomorrow, I'll be shocked if there is not a decent covering by the morning for most. 

Great to see you in here Geordiesnow. There is really nothing to stop the showers becoming more intense everything is in place 

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

Good met update for tonight

Headline:

Very cold with snow mainly in the east.

This Evening and Tonight:

Snow continuing over southeast England but starting to ease for many. Windy with drifting snow continuing. Snow showers for northeast England and east Scotland with some accumulations likely. Icy stretches for parts of Northern Ireland. Cold for all.

• Thanks 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers
    Just now, Freezing-Point said:

Anyone know snow depths in the SE?  

Hit n miss looking at the SE thread some areas have done very well others nothing more than a dusting

Posted
    2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

Hit n miss looking at the SE thread some areas have done very well others nothing more than a dusting

Yeah I looked at the thread too.  Radar says some areas have had snow all day so must be a decent amount in places

Posted
    5 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Yeah I looked at the thread too.  Radar says some areas have had snow all day so must be a decent amount in places

My parents are between Canterbury and Dover on the North Downs and have about 6".

• Like 1
    Posted

So , I don't want to sound like the mad thread and I know we haven't really seen the start of anything proper white yet but what is the thoughts on when this easterly weakens away.

As I said yesterday my personal thoughts are that we are in this very cold flow until at least next weekend with lots of snow and even beyond that I can only think we may see one or two milder ( if you call 5-7 degrees mild )  blips and then we are back in the freezer.

Me , I think we are in for a stonking February.

Appreciate it if folks don't want to think about that yet and enjoy what we got/get but just interested.

Posted

Radar starting to look very good over the North Sea now around 50 to 100 miles heading towards Northumberland. Should be really picking up around 7ish.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Here's me prediction going by the radar. We should start getting some beefy showers moving into the north of the region ie Newc/Durham by about 7pm. Into the south Tees/Darlo by about 9pm. If someone gets under a streamer they could wake up to 10-15cms. Some places could get very unlucky (Darlo) and get barely a dusting. It's a lottery at the minute folks at least we all have a ticket. Good luck. 

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
    1 minute ago, Continental Climate said:

Here's me prediction going by the radar. We should start getting some beefy showers moving into the north of the region ie Newc/Durham by about 7pm. Into the south Tees/Darlo by about 9pm. If someone gets under a streamer they could wake up to 10-15cms. Some places could get very unlucky (Darlo) and get barely a dusting. It's a lottery at the minute folks at least we all have a ticket. Good luck. 

I agree with this. The only thing I'd predict is the shower activity to become much more wide spread and heavier. So even places not under a streamer will get a decent covering. 

I reckon a lot of places are going to go white over night. That's just IMO looking at the radar and the fact that under these setups the NE tends to do really well widespread.  

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Oh please let Gilesgate Moor in Durham get 25cm , I don't live there but my mate NickR does and if he only gets a dusting and the rest of us get 10/15cm there will be holy hell going on in here.

Sorry Nick lol.

• Like 3
    Posted

Just walked up to Consett and looking North East you could see more in the way of darker based cloud. Looks like the showers beginning to make inroads into Northumberland 

• Like 1
    Posted

I think there is a bit of disappointment because we were promised (by a lot of so called pro especially in the main thread) something epic , memorable, a 5 day heavy snow event Canada style.So far 2 days have gone with absolutely nothing. 

And yes still plenty of time and yes let's still keep our chins up,but as usually the over hyping in the main thread is ridiculous. My fault that i bought into it once again. 

Edited by mathematician
    • Like 1
    Posted
    7 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Someone posted a fax chart this morning with a streamer over Teesside are there any updates? 

Posted
    Just now, mathematician said:

I think there is a bit of disappointment because we were (by a lot of so called pro especially in the main thread) something epic , memorable, a 5 day heavy snow event Canada style.So far 2 days have gone with absolutely nothing. 

And yes still plenty of time and yes let's still keep our chins up,but as usually the over hyping in the main thread is ridiculous. My fault that i bought into it once again. 

2 days have passed? Where? Its just been delayed but to be fair a number of them said from Sunday not Saturday and that ties in with Meto forecast too. 

All on track albeit slightly delayed. The snow showers haven't even kicked off yet 🤷‍♂️

• Like 1
    Posted

A drab raw cold February day so far. No brightness just a sullen grey sky. Bitter stiff east breeze, temp maxed at 1.9 degrees, has been 1.5 for a couple if hours. Snow flurries on and off, bit of a moderate burst late morning.

Hoping things liven up this evening and we see a few snow showers later.

Posted
    Just now, mathematician said:

I think there is a bit of disappointment because we were (by a lot of so called pro especially in the main thread) something epic , memorable, a 5 day heavy snow event Canada style.So far 2 days have gone with absolutely nothing. 

The main thread does have its uses but by God they do get carried away and the mood in there is up and down more times than a yoyo.

• Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, mathematician said:

Two days haven’t gone though and nobody expected anything noteworthy yesterday. It’s only started today and it looks like things are moving in the right direction now. 

• Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Someone posted a fax chart this morning with a streamer over Teesside are there any updates? 

Yes it's been cancelled 😂

• Like 1
    Posted

For anyone in doubt.  First image 2.10pm. Second one 4.00pm. You can see the convection starting now.  

Screenshot_20210207-161054_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-161101_Chrome.jpg

Edited by P-M
    • Like 1
    Posted
    1 minute ago, P-M said:

For anyone in doubt.  First image 2.10pm. Second one 4.00pm. You can see the convection starting now.  

Screenshot_20210207-161054_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-161101_Chrome.jpg

Looking good PM - exciting times to come I think.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

What are your thoughts on any thundersnow? An easterly is usually a good for producing it. - would love to hear any instances of that over the coming days - once we get to the convection type of snow and not this polystyrene we have at the minute.

• Like 1
    Posted

Scottish thread reporting heavy snaw from the showers piling into Aberdeen.

• Like 2