Cold?
Local
Radar
Snow?

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion - 30th Dec 2020 onwards

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
    2 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Just having another lovely graupel flurry in darlington now. 

😂😂😂

Spotted a post you think may be an issue? Please help the team by reporting it.
    • Replies 4.3k
    • Created
    • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

North East has seen it's biggest fall since Sunderland dropped into League One. 

8:30 Monday morning..... Colleague - "good weekend?"  Me - "aye not bad" Colleague - "what you do" Me - "watched a weather radar for 16 hours" Colleague - "wtf is wrong with y

Well I spent the last week convincing my dad it was definitely happening, it was going to be proper snow. He’s spent today taking the mick out of me.  He’s just sent me this he wrote 🙄   F

Posted Images

Posted

Interesting that a few day ago was down for heavy showers Monday , yesterday it changed to very few light one - noW look - somethings afoot

BBAA37D9-6E03-4AB7-A739-CAE0C592853C.png

Posted

This is now similar to the start of the 1991 easterly...exactly 30 years back.

Light   /  moderate graupel lasting a full day before convection picked up and streamers started....  Most of the East got a foot of snow or more.    Longframlington got 46cm from 7th-9th feb.

• Like 1
    Posted
    2 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

This is now similar to the start of the 1991 easterly...exactly 30 years back.

Light   /  moderate graupel lasting a full day before convection picked up and streamers started....  Most of the East got a foot of snow or more.    Longframlington got 46cm from 7th-9th feb.

Stop it, you tease. 

• Like 1
    Posted
    3 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Stop it, you tease. 

Just adding some positivity and reality.. some are getting downhearted already

• Like 6
    Posted
    11 minutes ago, Rollo said:

Strange isn’t it, we have cloud,low temperature in fact everything in place but there is still a reason why no snow falls, I still believe we will get our share but oh how I hate the wait.

Its the front down south thats lessened convection, as it clears it should pick up.

• Like 1
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
    41 minutes ago, Cloud 10 said:

Sat. picture shows the better convection zone approaching slowly from the NE.

uk_vis.thumb.jpg.77f72618053a46687b0cf1b1306c1a15.jpg

Yeah as soon as this cloud clears we should start seeing some beefy showers where they hit is anyone’s guess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

This is probably the heaviest graupel flurry of the day so far didn't last long but could be a sign of hope. Oops started again, cloud seems darker as well I think. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
    10 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Just adding some positivity and reality.. some are getting downhearted already

It’s most welcomed keep it coming 

Edited by seabreeze86
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

I wouldn’t say it’s particularly cold either.  Would you expect it the temp to drop before any snow?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Yes disappointing so far - was expecting proper snow last night and didn't happen here - maybe higher up in the pennines?

Anyway some seem to think more showers soon - hope I'm not to far west.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
    31 minutes ago, NickR said:

All I did was correct someone's claim about conditions elsewhere and point out that we seem to be saying we never expected anything until tonight, when we'd actually been rubbishing the BBC for forecasting nothing until tonight. That's not negativity, just trying to be objective about what's being said. Is that a bad wagon to be on?

Mate howay it come across as negative. To be fair you're entitled to say whatever you want I'm just trying to keep your spirits up here. 

People going on about BBC forecasts and all that rubbish. Look at the Meto forecast for tonight and the next few days. That should tell you all you need to know in my eyes. 

Edited by P-M
    Spelling
    • Like 2
    Posted
    1 minute ago, seabreeze86 said:

It’s most welcomed keep it coming 

The beauty and the intrigue of the weather.

We are all here for the same thing but yet we all see it differently and maybe want it differently.

Some want 45cm, some happy with 2cm, some want it now, some excited to what might happen, some keep positive, some get really down.

Personally I hope i get 50cm in the next 30 minutes and then excited about the next 50cm I will get tonight but if I don't get it then I will just continue smiling.

• Like 3
    Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Check out the will it rain radar there are enormous blobs of showers blasting into northern Scotland right now. Do people think that's what might happen to us from say 9pm? This high wispy cloud is utterly sh$te. Produces nothing but graupel. The showers really are huge in Scotland none of us would miss out in that situation. 

Posted
    Just now, Continental Climate said:

Check out the will it rain radar there are enormous blobs of showers blasting into northern Scotland right now. Do people think that's what might happen to us from say 9pm? This high wispy cloud is utterly sh$te. Produces nothing but graupel. The showers really are huge in Scotland none of us would miss out in that situation. 

Looks like it mate once this dross clears and we start getting a long fetch across the North Sea 

Posted

I think that’s the streamer the charts keep showing, they expect one to form to the south of us, we might well miss out but should still get showers eventually.

Posted
    2 minutes ago, rdt123 said:

No way meto forecast can be right here - sleet ?

7DDF3AC2-18EC-40A8-8A22-473052EF15B9.png

Honest bud I'd give up looking at those symbols on the app. Follow the models radar and the meto write up. 

Edited by P-M
    Posted

OK... some positivity. The Meto has Durham down for a low of heavy showers throughout Sun night to Wed. We then get this for the Thurs-Sun forecast:

A cold start to the period with strong easterly winds. Heavy and frequent snow showers are likely across northern and eastern areas, especially over northeastern England and eastern Scotland. Nevertheless, plenty of bright sunny weather is likely further south, although there is a small threat of persistent snow and rain across parts of southwest England on Thursday. As the period progresses, it will be remaining cold or very cold with brisk winds but potentially turning milder over southwestern then western areas for a time. Outbreaks of rain and showers are likely across western and northern areas, whilst mostly dry and bright in the east and southeast. Further snow and attendant wintry hazards continuing to affect northern areas but possibly becoming increasingly settled by the end of the period.

• Like 3
    Posted
    1 minute ago, NickR said:

OK... some positivity. The Meto has Durham down for a low of heavy showers throughout Sun night to Wed. We then get this for the Thurs-Sun forecast:

A cold start to the period with strong easterly winds. Heavy and frequent snow showers are likely across northern and eastern areas, especially over northeastern England and eastern Scotland. Nevertheless, plenty of bright sunny weather is likely further south, although there is a small threat of persistent snow and rain across parts of southwest England on Thursday. As the period progresses, it will be remaining cold or very cold with brisk winds but potentially turning milder over southwestern then western areas for a time. Outbreaks of rain and showers are likely across western and northern areas, whilst mostly dry and bright in the east and southeast. Further snow and attendant wintry hazards continuing to affect northern areas but possibly becoming increasingly settled by the end of the period.

I'm with you all the way with frustration Nick but think like that write up says we have a lot to be optimistic about .

I mean, i clearly won't be saying that when streamers set up and give Teesside 50cm of snow and I get 1cm but you know you gotta be in it to win it 😂

• Like 1
    Posted

Does the radar look more fragmented now to anyone? Looks like gaps appearing in the clouds over the North Sea....?

• Like 1
    Posted
    10 minutes ago, P-M said:

I'm with you all the way with frustration Nick but think like that write up says we have a lot to be optimistic about .

I mean, i clearly won't be saying that when streamers set up and give Teesside 50cm of snow and I get 1cm but you know you gotta be in it to win it 😂

Oh God. Did you have to mention that? The nightmare of the poorly-placed streamer! I can see the Teesside one forming now...

Where's me noose!?!?!!

• Like 1