Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme
16 minutes ago, rdt123 said:

Odd bit of graupel here in Billingham. Not feeling it at present , doesn’t feel like a 2018. Early days mind and we aren’t reallly in the easterly flow though it’s later than predicted that’s for sure. Tomorrow looks like the main chance then a drier few days 

rob

I agree Rob, does not have the same feel as 2018.  Back then we had a good few inches of "wetter snow" then the graupel type followed and lay on top.  I think this set up is just going to give us graupel snow from the outset and it'll just be blown around into corners, up against walls etc...at least the roads will be mainly clear. Btw i hope I'm wrong! 

Posted

I'm expecting the stratocumulus to clear allowing for development of cumulus/ cumulonimbus but this is likely something that will develop into the evening and overnight in to tomorrow. 

• Like 1

Posted

When is the actual snow coming and not this horrible graupel stuff, I don’t mind if it puts a layer of that stuff down but bring on the snow! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!
Just now, NorthEastSnow said:

When is the actual snow coming and not this horrible graupel stuff, I don’t mind if it puts a layer of that stuff down but bring on the snow! 

Horrible isn't it? Need SOME MASSIVE CHUNKY BITS PLEASE!!!!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

The graupel has barely stopped all morning in Durham city. Bring on the proper stuff

Posted

Just fine flutters here.  Pretty disappointing so far.    Doesnt even seem much going on on the Lanehead and Tow law traffic cams.

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthEastSnow said:

With you on that NES, seen plenty of snow activity this morning, got a fine layer in parts but mainly just blowing about in the wind, temp zero.

Just got to hope the big flakes arrive, I am convincing myself that it is only matter of time but I do agree with a few people on here, this does feel different to the last beast.

Early days though, still optimistic. I still do think a more ENE flow delivers better for us but I am still content with an easterly !!!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

The thing is though the beast hasn't actually really got off the ground yet. There's synoptic reasons we're not seeing deep convection yet but all of the forecasts are on point still for this to change. 

I'm remaining positive. Its freezing cold, graupel showers and snow in places across the region with an uptick in deep convection forecast later today. 

In a much better place than the last few winters I think. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

The ground is far too wet for this stuff to even stick 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters, hot dry summers

Bitter with the odd bit of graupel still. Give it time - the system still needs to clear before the convection gets going properly.

-10C 850 uppers should be just about arriving now 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
2 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Actually think its melting in some places on the ground.

It is here puddles everywhere 

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Actually think its melting in some places on the ground.

It's definitely melting in between the heavier bursts in Durham city centre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

The snow flurries continue (grauple flurries)

I'm happy with today, yes not the heavy snow showers we wish for... But THIS HAS JUST STARTED, we have days ahead of cold and snowy weather.

Some 72 hours of potential, so lets not get to hung up on the first 6 hours of this morning from 6am

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

The ground is far too wet for this stuff to even stick 

We are getting the fine 'polystyrene' looking stuff too, and even though it was absolutely soaked marshland last night, the wind has dried the surfaces a bit so it's staying put. The biting temperature is helping. 

Having said all that, still disappointed with all of the previously predicted mad snow event. This one just doesn't seem to want to get going.

Posted

In honesty the meto and bbc etc never really forecast heavy snow. It’s a definite showery some will and some won’t scenario 

Posted

Not sure how to post links but the latest satellite image showing the clear sky making inroads in the eastern North sea. Hopefully will start to see a difference later this evening

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb/visual

Posted
15 minutes ago, P-M said:

The thing is though the beast hasn't actually really got off the ground yet. There's synoptic reasons we're not seeing deep convection yet but all of the forecasts are on point still for this to change. 

I'm remaining positive. Its freezing cold, graupel showers and snow in places across the region with an uptick in deep convection forecast later today. 

In a much better place than the last few winters I think. 

I do agree PM but we are just a greedy , impatient bunch.

I actually think we will do really well overnight and wake up to a good covering.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
26 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

27 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Looking like later than thought, probably late evening now then 3 days for proper convective weather

Posted

been an on/off mix of light hail/snow here this morning, still hopeful of better things to come later today/tonight❄️

Posted
8 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Looking like later than thought, probably late evening now then 3 days for proper convective weather

Like the idea of that seabreeze !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

SE are not fairing much better, somewhere in Suffolk has 2cm at best, everyone is in the same boat........till later!!!

Posted

Seems same everywhere - just got the Spurs match on saying they were worried about potential snow but have only had a flurry