Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

I'm pretty new to the area, and having moved here from Norfolk (briefly via Yorkshire), I'm completely new to Orographic weather, and the whole concept of the third dimension.

I'm intrigued as to how it works. Does the size of the hill matter as well as the height? Consett seems to have a local rep for snow, and it's certainly had a pasting in the last couple of days, but it's not actually as high as the hills to the West of it, and only slightly higher than nearby Stanley or Burnhope, which seem to have much less snow.

Looks to me like there's more to it than just height.

Posted

There's a lot you'll be getting used to if you've moved from Norfolk to County Durham! I found Cumbria an eye-opener after growing up in Suffolk. 

It frequently surprises me the difference the Pennines make to the weather given their relative height. Nine times out of ten, when I cross over the top above Stainmore, the weather really is markedly different on the Cumbrian side to the Durham one. I think Consett's snowfall might be simply down to its elevation though...around 900ft. What's Norfolk's highest point...somewhere near Sheringham? I wonder if it's the first point inland that...oh, I actually don't know!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

What's Norfolk's highest point...somewhere near Sheringham? 

Yeah, Beacon Hill - 132m

Highest I can see in Consett on the OS Map is 267m. Cornsay is just up the road from me, and that seems to be where you first cross the 300m contour, heading west.

As a keen cyclist, it's a very very different experience round here! Loving it so far.

Posted

You're going to have to "Everest" Hartside Pass in the summer. Only 23 circuits I think. I've been up it loads and it's a doddle...albeit I always was in a car. 

Posted
50 minutes ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

You're going to have to "Everest" Hartside Pass in the summer. Only 23 circuits I think. I've been up it loads and it's a doddle...albeit I always was in a car. 

Speaking as a southerner who has now been in Durham for 15 years and has, to my horror, started pronouncing 'pass' and 'last' (and 'mask'!) to rhyme with 'at', I can confirm that there is a lot to get used to, weather- and otherwise. Tow Law is always the go-to spot for snow. The snow also makes it harder for the charvas there to nick your wheels...

Like OON, I've only ever done Hartside in the car. Cycling Durham City's hills is tough enough!

My aim for the winter is to do the Cow Green Reservoir to High Cup Nick walk with snow. Not sure it's the most sensible thing I could do, but it's such a great walk that must look amazing in mid-winter. Might continue to Dufton, which must be close to you, OON.

Posted

Not far at all - my parents lived at Murton and I can see Murton Pike from my house in Great Asby with Dufton Pike being a little bit further over to the left. 

I do love the fact that there's often someone with snow nearby. Rarely the Lakes...they're too gentrified to have snow, but this weekend, for example, my eldest and I went up onto Tailbridge Hill above Kirkby Stephen for a walk to Nine Standards Rigg. The road was clear as I drove up but half an hour later I made the executive decision to head back down and go for a walk at a lower level...

IMG_5086.MOV.

Posted
33 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Just rain so far in darlington. This has been one hell of a disappointing cold spell so far. 

I think this is very typical of cold spells in the UK, and those lovely outbreaks we know and love from the past (1947, 62/63, 81, 87, 91, 2010 etc etc) were absolute outliers. But even then, I've seen plenty of pictures from the 62/63 winter that weren't knee-deep snow; there was plenty of cold, damp, freezing wet weather too; we just remember the waist-deep snow because they were just that; memorable.

Mostly, cold spells in the UK are sleety, icy, high DP messes. Except maybe for upland areas.

Posted
1 hour ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

t far at all - my parents lived at Murton and I can see Murton Pike from my house in Great Asby with Dufton Pike being a little bit further over to the left. 

I do love the fact that there's often someone with snow nearby. Rarely the Lakes...they're too gentrified to have snow, but this weekend, for example, my eldest and I went up onto Tailbridge Hill above Kirkby Stephen for a walk to Nine Standards Rigg. The road was clear as I drove up but half an hour later I made the executive decision to head back down and go for a walk at a lower level...

Great video!
Reminds me of when - having only been in the area for a year - I took a rather different Executive Decision to return from Wolsingham to Durham via Tow Law for a "More scenic route". 5-month old and wife in the car. Suffice to say the "normal" snow that was falling in Wolsingham soon became a full-on blizzard on the road up to Tow Law, which had about 3 inches of snow on it, on top of ice. We got 90% of the way up before I admitted defeat and turned gingerly round. Not sure the wife has ever forgiven me for "endangering our baby". I maintain to this day that getting stuck would have been character building for the bairn.

It's probably worth adding here that on my first week in the region, not realising we had rented a house in a frost hollow, an overnight temp of -7°C saw my Southern thimble-full-of-antifreeze-mixed-with-water coolant "solution" freeze solid and my car was towed away to defrost. Miraculously, the block didn't entirely crack.

Edited by NickR
  • Like 1

Posted

Never realised we had so many southern refugees on this thread!

Tell the truth,you all moved up here after hearing stories of the legendary north-sea snow showers.

Posted
2 hours ago, Continental Climate said:

Just rain so far in darlington. This has been one hell of a disappointing cold spell so far. 

Totally agree

Posted
5 hours ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

There's a lot you'll be getting used to if you've moved from Norfolk to County Durham! I found Cumbria an eye-opener after growing up in Suffolk. 

It frequently surprises me the difference the Pennines make to the weather given their relative height. Nine times out of ten, when I cross over the top above Stainmore, the weather really is markedly different on the Cumbrian side to the Durham one. I think Consett's snowfall might be simply down to its elevation though...around 900ft. What's Norfolk's highest point...somewhere near Sheringham? I wonder if it's the first point inland that...oh, I actually don't know!

Yes Stainmore the great north divide, often sunny one one side (normally the east) and cloudier or wetter on the other side (normally the west). A66 probably the most interesting road to travel across from west to east, with the marked change as you leave Cumbria and enter County Durham and vice-versa.

Here in Cumbria we have local county divides, the Dunmail, the Kirkstone and the Shap. Again often greeted by marked changes at the summits, cloud and rain one side, sunnier and drier the other, probably Shap the most notable change especially under a SW airstream, south of it clagged in low cloud, north and it breaks.

The A69 is much less interesting to drive weatherwise, Carlisle and immediate area often quite sheltered from the worse of the westerlies and there is usually more of a gradual change as you move east and west, also no major height differences along it.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

So is anyone optimistic that we will see snow overnight? Consett doesn't count your bound to get some.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

So is anyone optimistic that we will see snow overnight? Consett doesn't count your bound to get some.

Not optimistic at all. 

All we have seen in guisborough is rain since the heavy snow on Saturday. 

Hope I am wrong though. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Gizzy said:

Not optimistic at all. 

All we have seen in guisborough is rain since the heavy snow on Saturday. 

Hope I am wrong though. 

Indeed,just been out for a walk and feels damp and not that cold. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer
54 minutes ago, Northumberland snowman said:

we have but not as heavy as last few days

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Just shows how bad this cold spell has been for our region when you realise our thread has been by far the quietest. Before people jump up I know our population is smaller but when there is something to actually talk about this thread is rocking with such things as radar watch etc. Such a shame really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Just rain in Darlington once again

Posted

Snowing lightly here right now with a hint of the very barest of the slightest dusting overnight. 

12 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Here in Cumbria we have local county divides, the Dunmail, the Kirkstone and the Shap. Again often greeted by marked changes at the summits, cloud and rain one side, sunnier and drier the other, probably Shap the most notable change especially under a SW airstream, south of it clagged in low cloud, north and it breaks.

Great Asby is an absolute pig of a location in terms of having a topography which results in almost constant blowing drizzle whilst 5 miles away in Appleby, it can be sunny and dry. Murton, where my parents lived, experiences the infamous Helm Wind...which did result in this in March 2018

20180318_104818.thumb.jpg.f526b82de76d8758597e32314749cc60.jpg

20180303_151728.thumb.jpg.4187efd214d7c5d55dcaab3aca6f0a69.jpg

and conditions such as this - https://photos.app.goo.gl/trpVZNtiHAWoRnZZ8

Posted

Temperature 1,2c, had a hail shower at 8 am but of snow there is no sign and I reckon at least another 10 day wait before another chance may beckon , oh well back to trying to write my first long book.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I moved to Cumbria from Birmingham in 1991, love it here and don't miss the urban grime.

Winters are actually similar with similar amounts of frost and snow but summers are very different and the downside of living in Cumbria is sitting with the fire on watching the rain outside while relatives in the Midlands post pictures of their BBQ, it happens sooooo often and the north south divide in summer weather seems to have widened recently.

Andy