Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

Just had the dog out and difference from just this morning is amazing - wind is biting and it hasn’t even dug in yet - it’ll be bitter this week 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

That’s a good way to look at it, I remember late January 1996. We had 10cms in Penrith from constant snow showers but I drove to Kendal and there was nothing. It all vanished as o came down the A6 at Shap.

In these set ups places furthest east do best from Brampton down to Kirkby Stephen

We missed out on the North Westerly snow last weekend so we are due a break!

Andy

You might be thinking of the period 21-25 Jan 96 when we had just flurries, but overnight and morning of 27th we had 6 inches.

Good to have a fellow Cumbrian in the forum, there are not many of us. I'll be in this thread over next few days. Plus our weather is coming from the east so it makes sense to observe what is happening to our NE contingency.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
32 minutes ago, NickR said:

Now... should I bring the rabbits inside? I've left them out in their hutch with -5°C overnight a few times lately, but I'm wondering whether the next week might be a big too much for them. They are born and bred in Durham, though, so...

Getting a bit of deja vu here haha must be from 2018, my rabbits died sadly in the summer, I got a heater for them from pets at home does the trick 

Posted

T-4 (6PM SAT) Heavy rain with bits of sleet mixed in - Netweather radar started to show more green echoes (sleet) as opposed to blue (rain) out to sea now,

signs that the colder uppers are starting to come into play - lets hope so

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, gazzac69 said:

T-4 (6PM SAT) Heavy rain with bits of sleet mixed in - Netweather radar started to show more green echoes (sleet) as opposed to blue (rain) out to sea now,

signs that the colder uppers are starting to come into play - lets hope so

Wish it would hurry up it's still rain here in Washington lol to be fair it was from 3pm onwards that things were likely to change so its good to see things happening a little earlier.  

• Like 1

Posted

Just drove from Prudhoe to Hexham and sleet all the way falling in windscreen

Posted
41 minutes ago, NickR said:

Now... should I bring the rabbits inside? I've left them out in their hutch with -5°C overnight a few times lately, but I'm wondering whether the next week might be a big too much for them. They are born and bred in Durham, though, so...

Bring them inside, or heat up their outhouse so it's above freezing and keep them in that - at this short notice I'd imagine bringing in would be easier. They can stay out until around freezing, but as night temps are predicted to be much lower best to be safe side. Have read of attached RSPCA Guide. 

Rabbit winter care advice (pdf 428KB).pdf

Posted
37 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Dear me Snowman we just get Nick onside and then we get you throwing your toys out of the pram.

Yes the SE are going to get snow for a time but in case you have forgot so are we and possibly for at least the next four days and who knows, maybe the next four weeks ??!!

I think Snowmaggedon was being facetious! Still very wet here, still think it'll be about 8pm before it turns here.

Looking forward to seeing the cams across Tow Law etc. turning white in the next few hours though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

2 .3 degrees here in Hexham - a bit sleety but mostly rain. Thought the temp was going to drop a bit faster than this?

Posted
Just now, Smoggieontour said:

I think Snowmaggedon was being facetious! Still very wet here, still think it'll be about 8pm before it turns here.

Looking forward to seeing the cams across Tow Law etc. turning white in the next few hours though.

Yeah possibly.

How are we all bearing up then, anxious, excited, depressed one minute, letting a balloon off the next haha. 

Amazing times !!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
5 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Yeah possibly.

How are we all bearing up then, anxious, excited, depressed one minute, letting a balloon off the next haha. 

Amazing times !!!

Really nervous, then excited, then nervous again

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
4 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Yeah possibly.

Amazing times !!!

My glass is defo half full.  I can't wait till later to see what happens over the North Sea.  It's the best of set ups like this for me (obviously aside from seeing snow falling in heavy showers, and ideally with a bit of thunder thrown in for good measure)

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, P-M said:

My glass is defo half full.  I can't wait till later to see what happens over the North Sea.  It's the best of set ups like this for me (obviously aside from seeing snow falling in heavy showers, and ideally with a bit of thunder thrown in for good measure)

Oh yes ,some thundersnow, you never know it may happen, things are very unstable.

• Like 1

Posted

I'm sat here wishing away the next few hours waiting for the colder air to hit ?️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

Fantastic update from the met

North East England weather forecast

Saturday 6 Feb - Wednesday 10 Feb

Headline:

Cold with brisk easterly winds and snow showers overnight. Icy.

This Evening and Tonight:

A cold and brisk easterly wind will feed in further sleet and snow showers from off the North Sea this evening and overnight. Some significant accumulations of snow are likely in places, especially over higher ground. Icy conditions. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Sunday:

Cold or very cold with a brisk northeasterly wind, which will continue bring frequent sleet and snow showers off the North Sea. Further accumulations are likely. Some brighter interludes. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Outlook for Monday to Wednesday:

Snow showers will continue, leading to further snow accumulations and icy stretches. Despite sunshine in-between the showers it will remain bitterly cold, with often strong winds and severe overnight frosts.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC) on Sat 6 Feb 2021

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, MonkeyMag said:

Headline:

A cold and brisk easterly wind will feed in further sleet and snow showers from off the North Sea this evening and overnight. Some significant accumulations of snow are likely in places, especially over higher ground. Icy conditions. Minimum temperature -2 °C.

Sunday:

Cold or very cold with a brisk northeasterly wind, which will continue bring frequent sleet and snow showers off the North Sea. Further accumulations are likely. Some brighter interludes. Maximum temperature 2 °C.

Snow showers will continue, leading to further snow accumulations and icy stretches. Despite sunshine in-between the showers it will remain bitterly cold, with often strong winds and severe overnight frosts.

Sleet  cant see any sleet to be honest.

Posted
1 minute ago, MonkeyMag said:

Headline:

Sunday:

Hate that word sleet and it is still slightly concerning that it is still being mentioned in forecasts but I can't see anything but snow, and plenty of it.

Posted
4 minutes ago, MonkeyMag said:

Headline:

Sunday:

Please don’t be sleet Sick of sleet here on the coast. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Hate that word sleet and it is still slightly concerning that it is still being mentioned in forecasts but I can't see anything but snow, and plenty of it.

It’s just a phrase that’s always been used it basically means snow showers,I know what u mean though ,it might as well just say snow cos that’s what it’s gonna be

• Like 1