Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
10 minutes ago, Dahonis said:

Typical that Weardale Ski at St John's chapel is shut due to covid. It would of been excellent skiing this winter, and even better come the weekend and onwards. I've not seen Gav's video's for a while, but I do like them. He uses layman's terms and even I can understand them. I hopefully will be posting pictures from around the NE whilst at work. I'm 48 and feel like I'm 10 at the moment

You aren’t on your own mate I’m 48 too and have just checked the line of sight to the lamppost 

Edited by rdt123
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

The council have fitted them stupid dim bulbs to the lamposts in our street. Much harder to see the snow now. I'll just have to camp in the garden 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
9 hours ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

I'll try and find out today, amongst the home schooling It was retweeted by one of the weather guys over there, so think its legit and not just scribbled by a random child

Do you have the source for this? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

So looks like a 5-6 day cold spell atm. That will suit me fine. I'm off work for most of that time apart from Saturday and I should hopefully be home before the fun and games start. Hopefully the whole region sees a good dump over the next few days. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Wrf nmm has moderate snow most of Saturday night turning lighter but still there all of Sunday and ramps up through Sunday night into Monday. Icon again snow most of Saturday night petering out Sunday then a rash of showers in the North sea that just disappear as they hit land arpege a little less bullish with the precipitation throughout. Arome can't see the UK version of the 0z yet. Euro4 has snow most of Saturday night petering out 3am Sunday morning then ends dry (7am). Hirlam has precipitation Saturday right through til the end of the run 7am Sunday and quite moderate too. 

Edited by Phil Blake

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I wouldn’t get to hung up on precipitation forecasts there are very poor at picking up North Sea convention at any time of year.

You don’t need any forecasts to tell you this is a showers galore set up

2B375F0B-7016-4107-89C8-EB30C9D74581.png

• Like 3

Posted
28 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

Wrf nmm has moderate snow most of Saturday night turning lighter but still there all of Sunday and ramps up through Sunday night into Monday. Icon again snow most of Saturday night petering out Sunday then a rash of showers in the North sea that just disappear as they hit land arpege a little less bullish with the precipitation throughout. Arome can't see the UK version of the 0z yet. Euro4 has snow most of Saturday night petering out 3am Sunday morning then ends dry (7am). Hirlam has precipitation Saturday right through til the end of the run 7am Sunday and quite moderate too. 

Icon is renowned for having loads of showers in the sea that don't move inland, that won't be an issue here

To add to those models, UKV shows showers continuing through Sunday, although i think Sunday morning will be the lightest of the showers, beefing up as we progress. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!
5 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

I wouldn’t get to hung up on precipitation forecasts there are very poor at picking up North Sea convention at any time of year.

You don’t need any forecasts to tell you this is a showers galore set up

2B375F0B-7016-4107-89C8-EB30C9D74581.png

Not as poor as the MO app.Apparently nothing falling from the sky for 4 days apparently.

Now I know these apps are notoriously rubbish but how can the MO even put their name to something so bad.

Screenshot_20210205-083334_Met Office.jpg

• Like 2

Posted

T-33 (6pm sat) - All overnight models look good well into next week

Edited by gazzac69
  • Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Jarrow Posh said:

Not as poor as the MO app.Apparently nothing falling from the sky for 4 days apparently.

Now I know these apps are notoriously rubbish but how can the MO even put their name to something so bad.

I don’t know but it’s a regular occurrence not just with snow there App is normally completely different to the video forecast 

• Like 1

Posted

If I was going to pick a model I think got this about right regarding shower activity it’s the GEM

FF7A1745-E958-4653-ACFE-038953C57B3A.png

266C54A4-1614-4653-9BC6-1B29848B9BEB.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

From Mat Hugo

Screenshot_20210205-090318_Twitter.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
34 minutes ago, Jarrow Posh said:

34 minutes ago, Jarrow Posh said:

Yep, MO forecast pretty much the same for me about 3 miles from you. I’m trying to take on board what was said on here about disregarding it, but it is a bit disheartening. 
especially when we always see rain & sleep near the coast. 

Is it normal to spend all week getting excited, then as it gets closer start to panic it’s going to go wrong feel about 11 rather than 31 today! 

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

Yep, MO forecast pretty much the same for me about 3 miles from you. I’m trying to take on board what was said on here about disregarding it, but it is a bit disheartening. 
especially when we always see rain & sleep near the coast. 

Is it normal to spend all week getting excited, then as it gets closer start to panic it’s going to go wrong feel about 11 rather than 31 today! 

Ha ha,nothing wrong with that at all,I've been obsessed with snow for as long as I can remember and that's getting on for 50 years now.

I think it will be a case of radar watching from tomorrow PM onwards as things start to turn colder and then over to lampost watching as night falls....exciting times even for a 50 odd year old lol!

Edited by Jarrow Posh
  • Like 3

Posted
48 minutes ago, Jarrow Posh said:

So unreliable, I'm not that far from you and mine is snow throughout

Screenshot_20210205_092503_uk.gov.metoffice.weather.android.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
7 minutes ago, Jarrow Posh said:

Ha ha,nothing wrong with that at all,I've been obsessed with snow for as long as I can remember and that's getting on for 50 years now.

I think it will be a case of radar watching from tomorrow PM onwards as things start to turn colder and then over to lampost watching as night falls....exciting times even for a 50 odd year old lol!

Ha glad it’s not just me. Considering swapping bedrooms with my 6 year old as his window has a direct view of the lamppost. 

Just going to try and ignore the MO app, and try and figure the radars out over the next few days. Quite new to all this (not the love for weather), so steep learning curve!

Hope you get plenty. 

Posted
8 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

So unreliable, I'm not that far from you and mine is snow throughout

Screenshot_20210205_092503_uk.gov.metoffice.weather.android.jpg

The difference is ridiculous.

I know altitude is a big help but that suggests that the cloud off the North Sea will pass over here dropping nowt before dumping it all over Consett.

Edit Things are really ramping up now on the MO app for Jarrow.

Screenshot_20210205-093441_Met Office.jpg

Edited by Jarrow Posh

Posted
1 minute ago, Jarrow Posh said:

The difference is ridiculous.

I know altitude is a big help but that suggests that the cloud off the North Sea will pass over here dropping nowt before dumping it all over Consett.

Yeah its nonsense, can't imagine its anything other than snow, especially as we move through Sunday

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

I never take much notice of the snow depth charts or rather take them as a very rough guide.

Once the North Sea fires up the NE is usually a decent place to be and as we know from previous cold spells, accumulations can grow significantly in many areas. 

There is no way that if we get convective showers moving in off the coast that they'll just disappear like that. 

Exciting times ahead though....I look forward to the bants in this thread over the next few day! 

• Like 2

Posted

Cold weather alert.

Does mention showers in the North and potential travel disruption, could see some updated met warnings soon.  

IMG_20210205_095612.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
33 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

Ha glad it’s not just me. Considering swapping bedrooms with my 6 year old as his window has a direct view of the lamppost. 

Just going to try and ignore the MO app, and try and figure the radars out over the next few days. Quite new to all this (not the love for weather), so steep learning curve!

Hope you get plenty. 

I'm confident we will see plenty come Sunday and Monday.

I have learnt so much from the forums in here,there some really knowledgeable people posting.

Enjoy the lampost watching a fingers crossed for a good covering for us all.

• Like 1

Posted

T-31 (6pm sat) - 06 GFS model looks good well into next week for us

• Like 1