Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted

NE could be prime spot for significant snow late Saturday onwards. Hoping the ENE flow can bring some of it to our neck of the woods. Been a long time since we had a potent easterly blast still in the heart of winter, 2018 arrived too late for my liking.

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Snow all the way zero marginality even for coastal areas. Bring it on

You can wait years for a set up like this. Don’t forget disturbances won’t be picked up on very late on . I expect to big totals in our area 

Yep and this time being next to the North sea will have its advantages instead of what it has done in the last month in turning all the white stuff to wet stuff. I am looking forward to what we get in guisborough, the last set up we had like this we did get hammered so same again please.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

I know its crazy to think Boro Snow but Teesside areas have has hardly no snow at all. One day i travelled from home to Darlington and the difference of 3 miles was unreal. 

I'm with Snowmaggedon on this one, we will take anything at the moment as its been a terrible winter for us in respect of others who have had a lot... even the south lol. 

There's been such a split across the region this year with low lying areas receiving almost nothing while the hills have had a really good amount. While I've had lying snow on a few days in my location it hasn't really been anything to get excited about so I'm looking forward with hope to the weekend.

I've got a slight niggle in the back of my mind from 2018 when streamers set up in parallel to the coast on the easterly wind, but hardly moved north/south at all. Some places were stuck under the streamers for hours/days on end and had biblical amounts of snow, while those unfortunate enough to be in the clear slots were left frustrated. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again but too early to tell yet. Ideally we need a slight ENE or NE tilt to the wind direction so that the streamers set up on a diagonal giving broader coverage!

Edited by garylaverick

Posted
3 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Yep and this time being next to the North sea will have its advantages instead of what it has done in the last month in turning all the white stuff to wet stuff. I am looking forward to what we get in guisborough, the last set up we had like this we did get hammered so same again please.

Yes no marginality, all fine powder snow from Sunday onwards..

Posted

Frustrating reading through pages of MOD thread saying upgrade/downgrade/poor etc when that is only in relation to an area they live in. I think Singularity mentioned this in a post and these comments need to be in regional discussions. Looking good for the NE for the weekend into next week

• Like 3

Posted
20 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

There's been such a split across the region this year with low lying areas receiving almost nothing while the hills have had a really good amount. While I've had lying snow on a few days in my location it hasn't really been anything to get excited about so I'm looking forward with hope to the weekend.

I've got a slight niggle in the back of my mind from 2018 when streamers set up in parallel to the coast on the easterly wind, but hardly moved north/south at all. Some places were stuck under the streamers for hours/days on end and had biblical amounts of snow, while those unfortunate enough to be in the clear slots were left frustrated. I'm hoping this doesn't happen again but too early to tell yet. Ideally we need a slight ENE or NE tilt to the wind direction so that the streamers set up on a diagonal giving broader coverage!

I also mentioned this in a recent post above, I seem to always recall the bands being either to the North or South leaving an un happy NES in the middle lol.

Lets hope this time its not the case, but i wont hold my breath. 

Posted

the heavy rain has turned a bit sleety here now? wasn't expecting that

Posted
41 minutes ago, Mr McP said:

Frustrating reading through pages of MOD thread saying upgrade/downgrade/poor etc when that is only in relation to an area they live in. I think Singularity mentioned this in a post and these comments need to be in regional discussions. Looking good for the NE for the weekend into next week

My rule of thumb is: downgrade is good news for us.

• Like 1

Posted
34 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

I also mentioned this in a recent post above, I seem to always recall the bands being either to the North or South leaving an un happy NES in the middle lol.

Lets hope this time its not the case, but i wont hold my breath. 

You can see the banding effect clearly on the precip total map from 28th Feb 2018.

image.png

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.

Potential for long fetch streamers along the convergence lines. Could even be low topped cumulonimbus producing 'thundersnow' with pretty steep lapse rates, only 4 days away, so well within the reliable..

542529282_ScreenShot2021-02-03at14_35_53.thumb.png.a11579be370061d03746796adb0ff958.png

© metoffice.gov.uk

• Like 4

Posted

meto update email notification

From Saturday, the emphasis on cold conditions extends further south to include a combined snow and ice warning for eastern England as conditions further south are forecast to turn increasingly wintry.

Met Office Deputy Chief Meteorologist, Mark Sidaway, added: “Into the weekend snow will continue across much of Scotland, and is likely to increasingly fall to low levels before beginning to move south into northern and eastern England.

“We are likely to see some very large accumulations across higher parts of Scotland especially, with strong winds leading to significant drifting and blizzard conditions at times.”

“Although amounts of snow across England are likely to be less than seen across Scotland, the potential is there for some heavy snow across eastern England later in the weekend, and perhaps elsewhere in southern Britain as we head into next week, with very cold easterly winds.”

Next week will stay chilly for much of the UK with brisk easterly winds making it feel even colder. However, the weather is potentially drier than this week. Our 6-30 day forecast currently points to the  likelihood of cold conditions continuing into mid-February.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Have been following this with way too much interest. Living low lying, by the coast, any snow always seems to fall as sleet/rain. From my limited understanding, this looks like we might get proper snow even on the coast this time.. someone please tell me I might be right

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
17 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

Have been following this with way too much interest. Living low lying, by the coast, any snow always seems to fall as sleet/rain. From my limited understanding, this looks like we might get proper snow even on the coast this time.. someone please tell me I might be right

I think you'll be just fine

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
Just now, North East Blizzard said:

Ladies and Gentlemen i give you the UKMO ❤️?️?️?️?️?️

UW144-21.gif

UW120-21.gif

Cracking

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

What does this means in terms of the weather? 

winter wonderland - heavy snow showers for all our region - if all the models /meto office warnings come to fruition

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

What does this means in terms of the weather? 

It's means SNOW!!! There would be even more great convection if we can get the -12 uppers over our region but -10 -11 will be suffice 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

I was expecting some ice days only had 1 this winter but no looking at the BBC Met O etc 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

Scary to think how this is going to pan out. A proper Snow event......for all of us!

Posted
3 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

I was expecting some ice days only had 1 this winter but no looking at the BBC Met O etc 

They always overstate temps

Posted
25 minutes ago, Vee89 said:

Welcome to the forum. 

This is as good time as any for you to get snow i would have thought. 

Fingers crossed it all falls into place. 

• Thanks 1