Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
9 hours ago, Rollo said:

It’s only better than most than most recent winters but hang about this one is only half way through, wait until mid March before passing judgement.

Yeah I did say further up if we get a cold spell and a few more snowy episodes by the end of March I will be happy.

Higher areas towards Stanley/Consett have had lying snow most days since Xmas Eve.

While I live slightly lower than them locations I have done fairly well.

It has actually snowed a lot more days but I was just the wrong side of marginal for lying snow.

Here is a selection of photos taken this winter.

DA165CA5-0800-46EC-BE59-48178225F730.jpeg

90D819A1-FA14-47D2-B834-C6AB9234D191.jpeg

14833556-96FB-4482-BAF7-90E8C99601D4.jpeg

774A9821-1A04-4E8C-B507-01D157C03C22.jpeg

E5394491-AD01-41A0-AEAD-8296E2D47375.jpeg

B67F55AB-C55C-4677-AE25-42515588E5B1.jpeg

12AA0AE0-A0C9-4C1A-B964-2C81BA625ABC.jpeg

6F67EB88-11C3-44DB-AD52-CB74A1E699F4.jpeg

46F7B054-DAF9-4232-A007-D8C486C97D55.jpeg

Edited by Snow White

Posted
1 hour ago, Snow White said:

Yeah I did say further up if we get a cold spell and a few more snowy episodes by the end of March I will be happy.

Higher areas towards Stanley/Consett have had lying snow most days since Xmas Eve.

While I live slightly lower than them locations I have done fairly well.

It has actually snowed a lot more days but I was just the wrong side of marginal for lying snow.

Here is a selection of photos taken this winter.

DA165CA5-0800-46EC-BE59-48178225F730.jpeg

90D819A1-FA14-47D2-B834-C6AB9234D191.jpeg

14833556-96FB-4482-BAF7-90E8C99601D4.jpeg

774A9821-1A04-4E8C-B507-01D157C03C22.jpeg

E5394491-AD01-41A0-AEAD-8296E2D47375.jpeg

B67F55AB-C55C-4677-AE25-42515588E5B1.jpeg

12AA0AE0-A0C9-4C1A-B964-2C81BA625ABC.jpeg

6F67EB88-11C3-44DB-AD52-CB74A1E699F4.jpeg

46F7B054-DAF9-4232-A007-D8C486C97D55.jpeg

Great pictures, I guess you have had a bit more than us but waking up to a good frost this morning does raise the spirits.

Posted

Looks like everyone else is getting the snow again. What an awful winter this has been for Teesside even when we got snowfall in the North East the other week it still **** missed us!

Really hope our luck changes. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Looks like everyone else is getting the snow again. What an awful winter this has been for Teesside even when we got snowfall in the North East the other week it still **** missed us!

Really hope our luck changes. 

Couldn't agree more this has been a shocking winter for us. Like you say snow everywhere but here.

I'm hoping Feb delivers something good for us starved off snow.  

Posted

It's not been too bad here in Durham. A number of falls with 2 periods with 2 or more inches lying. We've had better, of course, but also a lot worse (which was the winter about maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago when we had literally a dusting once in the entire winter? Worst I've known since I've been up here (15 years)).

Posted
2 hours ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Couldn't agree more this has been a shocking winter for us. Like you say snow everywhere but here.

I'm hoping Feb delivers something good for us starved off snow.  

Really hope we get something from the NE. Reading the MAD thread it does looks promising early Feb! 

Posted
21 hours ago, Snow White said:

Tbh really shows how bad it is nowadays that we consider this winter decent ! 

Yes back in the 60s or 80s this would have been described so far as rather average if a bit below on the snow front. However, compared to many winters last 25 years it has so far been one of the better ones for cold weather and snowfall, and the best since 12/13.

Posted

You certainly make a fair point Damian.

We havent had loads of snow here but have seen it on the ground on quite a few days and we have certainly been cold for a month or so now and there has been excitement with the promise at least even though it generally has ended up letting us down.

Northeastsnow is about a mile from me and he had been let down more than most with minimal snow.

I am still hopeful that a big snow event is still coming for the whole of the region after a couple of milder days midweek.

Posted
2 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes back in the 60s or 80s this would have been described so far as rather average if a bit below on the snow front. However, compared to many winters last 25 years it has so far been one of the better ones for cold weather and snowfall, and the best since 12/13.

As intimated by my post above, I agree. I've certainly seen many worse winters since the glorious 2010/11.

Posted
3 hours ago, damianslaw said:

The thing is even though winter 2018 wasn’t as cold up to date, teeside was very fortunate. I remember this from mid-jan as a small low went from west to east, started as rain but turned to snow through the night, 2-3 inches which was followed by cold days/nights so it stayed for 3 days. 2021 has only had 2 days lying snow so far whereas 2018 had 13. Never known anything like that beast!

4016C3EB-B79B-4C7E-A795-C76E4EBC6E71.jpeg

534148F5-EEAD-489A-A49C-06C6D9E93C5B.jpeg

B4B76B7F-6FAF-4BC5-979B-A7883910B205.png

Posted
16 hours ago, NickR said:

It's not been too bad here in Durham. A number of falls with 2 periods with 2 or more inches lying. We've had better, of course, but also a lot worse (which was the winter about maybe 5 or 6 yrs ago when we had literally a dusting once in the entire winter? Worst I've known since I've been up here (15 years)).

It was the 2013/14 winter.

This winter is like the land of Narnia compared to it.

The cold air we have now is well established and might take some shifting.

Posted

I won't lie, it's pretty annoying seeing so many places getting such a decent, non-marginal event right now...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
12 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

MOD thread...or should I say regional thread. Wanted to have a skim through it and all it was full of people posting about the snow this morning! 

Yeah I read it early this morning and it was full from last night showing radar images etc. Surely those posts should be confined to the regionals. ??‍♂️

Posted

RThey are just so excited to finally get some white stuf, all I have is a hard frost, but it’s just right fora walk on the golf course which is just down the road.

Posted

To be fair, the pics I've seen on Twitter from other places don't amount to as much as we had here in Durham a couple of weeks ago. I think they just bang on about it more because they don't see as much of it as we do.

Posted
38 minutes ago, NickR said:

To be fair, the pics I've seen on Twitter from other places don't amount to as much as we had here in Durham a couple of weeks ago. I think they just bang on about it more because they don't see as much of it as we do.

Well they have certainly had more than what Teesside has seen this winter despite all the promise - still hopeful though that the big event is around the corner somewhere.

Proper jealous of them haha, made even worse by the fact that in the summer they will be posting about 30 degrees while we will have a cold easterly with cloud and mist !!!

Why do I live here haha !!!

Posted
2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Well they have certainly had more than what Teesside has seen this winter despite all the promise - still hopeful though that the big event is around the corner somewhere.

Proper jealous of them haha, made even worse by the fact that in the summer they will be posting about 30 degrees while we will have a cold easterly with cloud and mist !!!

Why do I live here haha !!!

Fair enough re. Teeside. We've had some decent falls and periods with 2 or 3 inches lying for a few days here, so I guess I was comparing it to that.

Posted

Yeah Durham area has had some very good events to be fair, not sure what has happened to us.

To be honest it has been very bizarre here this year to date,  extremely marginal with quite significant differences within a mile radius.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
2 hours ago, Bridgehill Blizzard said:

Any chance that as that system pulls away to the South that the showers currently out in the North Sea will be pulled this way?

Nope. Very cold and clear overnight. Another hard frost to come. Cold and bright tomorrow. Our next chance seems to be Tuesday night but that's if the system makes it up to us. The colder air seems to be putting up a fight. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

My parents live down in derby and have had a cracking snow fall today. Meanwhile lovely day up here, second best weather after snow for me.

IMG-20210124-WA0059.jpg