Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
45 minutes ago, Rollo said:

You might well get some but at my elevation or lack of it I am dubious.

Yeah,higher ground favoured as always but tou never know.

Looking very good for our region in the medium longer term though.

Posted
1 hour ago, Cloud 10 said:

Yeah,higher ground favoured as always but tou never know.

Looking very good for our region in the medium longer term though.

Yes indeed it certainly looks like it but let’s get it here, another 7 days of torture perhaps, you might end up buried by the white stuff. I was around in 47’ and even living a couple of miles from the actual coast the depths of the snow were great, mind you I was little then so the depth would have looked greater.

• Like 1

Posted

Tends to often be higher elevation who are the winners in these mild / cold battlegrounds. It's very rare that we, at 100m asl, get much joy from these set ups but I will keep my fingers crossed. 

Can be frustrating as I look another 50-100m higher and see them in a white out. 

I keep hearing about the longer term and the big possibles but it always seems to be 10 days away, that 10 days never seems to get any less and then before you know it we are in April and then I am looking out for the warmth. 

Posted

Cant see where these warnings are coming from unless i have a warning for rain? Usual spots will do very well but i doubt i will see snow. 

Saying that the amount of gritters out on the road something must be going on so he's hoping. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!

Nice to see the south are severely peed off with the north east on the MOD thread

No cold weather in the south equals no cold at all apparently! Can't wait to moan at them in August when it's only 17c here and 30c down there!! 

• Like 2

Posted

Quiet in here, considering its the region best placed for heavy snow tomorrow. Pennine eastern upslopes and Durham dales look prime spots. Consett, Tow Law the usual suspects. Think it will be too mild at the coast, but places a bit inland and with height should do fine. Key question is how east the front positions itself before stalling and how much precipitation will be on it.

Thursday looks more likely to deliver widespread snow to the region than tomorrow, given how long it will take for the front to arrive.

Over here in Cumbria not looking so good, even very highest ground may see just a bit of sleet tomorrow, but Thursday looks more promising depending on how far west the front advects back.

Hoping next week delivers proper snowy goods, models look like the whole region could see some significant falls, but along way off yet.

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Quiet in here, considering its the region best placed for heavy snow tomorrow. Pennine eastern upslopes and Durham dales look prime spots. Consett, Tow Law the usual suspects. Think it will be too mild at the coast, but places a bit inland and with height should do fine. Key question is how east the front positions itself before stalling and how much precipitation will be on it.

Thursday looks more likely to deliver widespread snow to the region than tomorrow, given how long it will take for the front to arrive.

Over here in Cumbria not looking so good, even very highest ground may see just a bit of sleet tomorrow, but Thursday looks more promising depending on how far west the front advects back.

Hoping next week delivers proper snowy goods, models look like the whole region could see some significant falls, but along way off yet.

Trouble is most of us North Easterners live in the cities/Towns on the coastal plain so IMBY it will probably be rain

Edited by gazzac69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
22 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I am 80% sure low lying darlington will get rain out of this upcoming spell. Same for teesside and same for toon. Those three areas make up a good chunk of NE population. I think that's the main reason why this thread just isn't feeling it atm. Would love to be wrong though I really would. 

Posted

The initial meto forecast was for heavy snow from Wednesday night to Thursday afternoon for me in Whickham. That's been dialed down to rain turning to sleet with the odd period of light snow. Nothing to get excited about there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Fingers crossed in Hexham. I'm at about 140m which may be enough but certainly up in Allendale and above will be lots I guess. Thursday looks colder than Wednesday I would say so even if starts sleety may get better. Nice to have a chance rather than 5 degrees and drizzle like recent winters. I think we have had a little snow lying in the garden all but one day since 24th Dec

Posted

Met O talking about north east winds next week with organised spells of snow and cold throughout next week and beyond. As for tonight/tomorrow I think some people even at low levels will get a snowy surprise! Latest ECM looking good for all but the immediate coast tonight and tomorrow.

Edited by tynevalleysnow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

So what are we going to get today folks? Post your snow or otherwise reports. Could be interesting today and tomorrow. I love the models forum where they are getting upset about 10days away cold breaking down but not looking at today!

Posted
1 minute ago, Chris Smith said:

I was going to comment "Looks like it'll be a mess" but hey, these situations are always a mess, duh!

Looks like a freezing rain event, currently.

I think the further east you are the better the chances excluding coastal areas. But it's going to be impossible to call unless you're on higher ground which is going to get an absolute pasting by the looks of it!

Posted

It's a very sharp edge to the cloud canopy - it's lightly snowing here, but I can see the edge of the cloud sheet to the East.

West of the Pennines seems to be freezing rain.

Edited by Chris Smith

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Yes Consett should do really well out of this. I'd be happy with a covering down on lower levels