Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
1 hour ago, garylaverick said:

Well a fitting end to a disappointing spell for the region I guess, one final tease before cruelly being snatched away at the last moment. 

Something that has seemed very consistent over the past week has been the real difficulty in developing or sustaining convection in the circled area.

I'd love to know what the exact cause has been, could we have just been extremely unlucky with the wind direction (despite seemingly trying all of them at one point or another), has this area consistently been an area of divergence, or perhaps the sea temperature has played a part?

I don't remember this being a particular problem in other cold spells and hopefully it won't be in the future!

Screenshot_20210212-161103_Maps.jpg

It will surprise no one to know that I too have been having these worries/asking these questions.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east
3 minutes ago, NickR said:

It will surprise no one to know that I too have been having these worries/asking these questions.

Yep and tbh i noticed it a bit with the 2018 BFTE. The showers / streamers seemed to go north or south of the Tyne, I’m sure its to do with the mouth of the river / valley maybe funnelling out winds to force showers either side. No proof just a hunch but may do some research

Posted
2 hours ago, garylaverick said:

Well a fitting end to a disappointing spell for the region I guess, one final tease before cruelly being snatched away at the last moment. 

Something that has seemed very consistent over the past week has been the real difficulty in developing or sustaining convection in the circled area.

I'd love to know what the exact cause has been, could we have just been extremely unlucky with the wind direction (despite seemingly trying all of them at one point or another), has this area consistently been an area of divergence, or perhaps the sea temperature has played a part?

I don't remember this being a particular problem in other cold spells and hopefully it won't be in the future!

Screenshot_20210212-161103_Maps.jpg

1 - could by city heat effect being normally warmer than the surrounding countryside could this affect (not sure if this is the right word?) into the sea?

2 - can features such as big piers, cliffs ( e.g.Tynemouth priory sits on?) deflect surface wind up vertically into the air?

3 - A flock of seagulls flapping their wings

I am just making total random guesses, I think at the end of the day its just pot luck 

Edited by gazzac69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

Just been to supermarket. My spark plugs were warmer in the freezer than outside.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

Had light snow from around 11am and lasted over lunchtime - big flakes but not amounting to much. Looking now on radar, it looks like there is something on the radar but it is very pale blue, no bright colours. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

A bit of light snow incoming looking at the radar 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
12 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

This was almost us....

Screenshot_20210212-213900_Chrome.jpg

So close but yet so far lol

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

A nice day today, enjoy the lying snow while you can as it will soon be thawing

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heatwaves and anything extreme
1 hour ago, Dom W said:

A nice day today, enjoy the lying snow while you can as it will soon be thawing

Yes will be gone by tomorrow evening once the mild air pushes in over night.  Was nice to have a week of lying snow but looking at the charts an early taste of spring could be on the way, sunny with highs of 15c. Given the hole covid situation and being trapped indoors quite a lot id be happy for spring to now come.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Lovely day but bitter in that wind. If this is the last cold spell of the winter i won't be too disappointed. I would rate this spell 6/10 as although it delivered around 4 inches of snow and there were some impressive cold temperatures it could have been so much better in terms of snow depth. 

However compared to last winter this winter has been brilliant if a little marginal at times. Enjoy the cold today and tomorrow.

• Like 1

Posted

Not seen temperatures this warm for a while up here. 6 on Monday will feel tropical. Had snow on the ground here since before Christmas. Will it all melt before the next cold spell?

5EAF8A21-935D-4D79-8ED2-75B8299BF81A.jpeg

Edited by tynevalleysnow

Posted
22 minutes ago, tynevalleysnow said:

Not seen temperatures this warm for a while up here. 6 on Monday will feel tropical. Had snow on the ground here since before Christmas. Will it all melt before the next cold spell?

5EAF8A21-935D-4D79-8ED2-75B8299BF81A.jpeg

Must be getting some decent drifts ap there by now with the wind strength.

Posted
2 hours ago, Durham snowman said:

Lovely day but bitter in that wind. If this is the last cold spell of the winter i won't be too disappointed. I would rate this spell 6/10 as although it delivered around 4 inches of snow and there were some impressive cold temperatures it could have been so much better in terms of snow depth. 

However compared to last winter this winter has been brilliant if a little marginal at times. Enjoy the cold today and tomorrow.

Yeah 6/10 sounds about right to me. I think what I was really longing for was some sustained heavy snowfall, instead we only really got light with bursts of moderate. Accumulations ended up ok but only because of the length of the spell, rather than the intensity.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, garylaverick said:

Yeah 6/10 sounds about right to me. I think what I was really longing for was some sustained heavy snowfall, instead we only really got light with bursts of moderate. Accumulations ended up ok but only because of the length of the spell, rather than the intensity.

Agree with that.

You can always tell we've missed out on proper heavy snow, because people start reporting heavy snow and blizzards and whiteouts when it's no more than moderate snow with a moderate breeze.

• Like 1

Posted

The GFS Model hints at something colder again at the beginning of March - obviously it is a very long way off and is just hints at this stage, something to keep an eye on over the coming weeks.

h850t850eu.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
18 minutes ago, Dom W said:

The GFS Model hints at something colder again at the beginning of March - obviously it is a very long way off and is just hints at this stage, something to keep an eye on over the coming weeks.

h850t850eu.png

I'd rather start having the warmth from march. You need extreme solutions to get something half decent in march anyways. Been a half decent event. Could have been much better. Alot of our convection was pants due to high cloud or whole showers just disappearing before getting to land. Very frustrating. Still managed a half decent amount of snow and been able to take the bairns sledging 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost

I would give the cold spell 5/10 for the middlesbrough region anyway, never really saw huge amount of snow fall but plenty of small hail showers just blowing through, plenty of frost and ice which made it feel very seasonal .  I'm 42 in March and have seen plenty of snow fall and lay in that month so all not over as of yet but I do agree with some of the other members a nice spell of mild air wouldn't go a miss but its still only 14th February, don't think this winter is done yet.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Still have 4 inches on my front Garden but sadly that will disappear over the next few days, 7/10 for the past 7 days very decent 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
14 hours ago, Dom W said:

h850t850eu.png

If we're going to still be in lockdown come March, or still be limited in what we can do, I'm ready for Spring, and some warmth to get out in the garden.

If we have some freedom, then I'm all up for some something colder, especially if that means I can get up to Scottish ski resorts for a weekend. It's been sole destroying seeing the vast amounts of snow in the highlands, and to be in a position where I (and the resorts) can't take advantage of it.

Posted

Think they should be a warning out for this wind, it is extremely strong and roads are being blocked, cars stuck from Guisborough over to Whitby / moors etc with large drifts blowing off the fields,

Posted
5 hours ago, Snow-mad-dave said:

I would give the cold spell 5/10 for the middlesbrough region anyway, never really saw huge amount of snow fall but plenty of small hail showers just blowing through, plenty of frost and ice which made it feel very seasonal .  I'm 42 in March and have seen plenty of snow fall and lay in that month so all not over as of yet but I do agree with some of the other members a nice spell of mild air wouldn't go a miss but its still only 14th February, don't think this winter is done yet.

I gave it a 6.5, but thinking I've been over generous, it was given in the context of the last 10 winters. If I rank it against winters as a whole then a 4.5 only I feel largely due to lack of snowfall. Mean temps have been below 0 degrees for 7 days which is my marker of a half decent cold period.

March can be very wintry, sometimes more so than the three winter months preceding it. Snow can fall and lie deep, but it doesnt tend to hang around, especially by the second half. Night time temps can be and often are lower than December, but the sun gets to work quick and you need to be up early to see the frost. Mind March 2018 proves winter can hang on until the end of the month, I remember Thirlmere having cover of ice still around 24th, and we recorded our last ice day on 17 March 2018. Then there was March 2013...

Edited by damianslaw

Posted

March and April can be months where extreme variation can occur even on the same day, one minute it is glorious warm sunshine, the next minute it is pelting it down with snow, sleet, rain or hail or a combination of the lot.

Edited by Dom W

Posted
1 hour ago, Dom W said:

March and April can be months where extreme variation can occur even on the same day, one minute it is glorious warm sunshine, the next minute it is pelting it down with snow, sleet, rain or hail or a combination of the lot.

Absolutely! This is 1 April 2013. Near Langdon Beck/the ski centre up there. After this I came back to Durham where it was 10°C and planted my broad beans!

image.thumb.png.ff7f49a66a6488a792d5e05d2b9566e8.png

image.thumb.png.9f9a3450861a18363e6465aa4194475b.png

image.thumb.png.4d2d921ec4e8ba5e208f96cfff80a821.png 

image.thumb.png.90a9b5fc6a43311110ffe80498727fbf.png

Edited by NickR