Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

I’m thinking that big clump is going between Whitley bay and blyth like most this afternoon 

Posted
4 minutes ago, MonkeyMag said:

I’m thinking that big clump is going between Whitley bay and blyth like most this afternoon 

It’ll be close. I initially thought they’d sink south of Newcastle but looks like they’re heading due East now. 

Posted

a light flurry here at the moment, its been one of those days for me, just missing most of the beefy ones either just south or north, probably just going to miss the next one too

image.thumb.png.d5575048c5342e4de84b5ce3bbd3595b.png

Edited by gazzac69

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

ICON looks very interesting for Friday 

8C749F23-D5B4-43BC-AF74-8110C9ADE2FD.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east
4 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Last 4 ICON runs.

Webp.net-gifmaker.gif

So what’s this , chance that low dropping into Northern North Sea may impact us ?

Posted

There must be an outside chance just due to the fact its moved west on each of the last 4 runs. It's westward progression seems to be determined by timing and how much inroads the Atlantic low can make.

I don't want to raise anyone's hopes but I feel its worth keeping an eye on in the absence of anything else noteworthy, it's a fine balancing act and could go either way. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows

A few heavy showers earlier in Pity Me - some big snow flakes too. Still a few snow showers but they are definitely fewer in number.

Posted

The last 3-4 days a good observation in how easterlies may perform snowfall wise in this region. The warnings all suggested Sunday-Tuesday would deliver the heaviest showers in the region, alas, from reading the reports, it appears today has been the best day for snow showers. Continuous heavy snow showers all day, alas east side of the Pennines. The reason? change in wind direction, Sunday-Tuesday brought a ESE flow, less of a sea fetch, however, today winds switched to the NE, a longer sea fetch aiding convection. 

Also no trough feature at all from the easterly, suggesting it had less instability, its origins are from E Europe not NW Russia/Arctic, more stable layer.. 

Think back to Nov/Dec 2010 the airstream was a deep rooted NE flow from the depths of the arctic, and troughs develop. Beast for the east was a long drawn easterly from Russia with colder uppers. This spell did not bring the same depth of cold uppers and its source was much more stable until today, Scotland yesterday benefitted also from more of a NE flow.

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Whats happening with the band of showers off the coast of Aberdeen?  Seem to be tracking South.

Those are associated with this north sea low we've been talking about. 

• Like 1

Posted

Opposite ends of the UK currently the places to be - Altnaharra is at almost -18°C, with a PWS in Kinbrace at -20.5°C!!!

Kent getting another load - currently places are at 30-35cm. With about 15-20cm to come, so over half a metre by the end of the night. Annoys me no end that the SE can end up with more snow than most of us got in 2010! But, anyway... 2 amazing extremes.

Posted
32 minutes ago, NickR said:

Opposite ends of the UK currently the places to be - Altnaharra is at almost -18°C, with a PWS in Kinbrace at -20.5°C!!!

Kent getting another load - currently places are at 30-35cm. With about 15-20cm to come, so over half a metre by the end of the night. Annoys me no end that the SE can end up with more snow than most of us got in 2010! But, anyway... 2 amazing extremes.

Yes just noted all the showers packing into Kent. Don't think these were forecast must be a convergence zone. Alas here in Cumbria we get the rain extremes!

Posted
11 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Yes just noted all the showers packing into Kent. Don't think these were forecast must be a convergence zone. Alas here in Cumbria we get the rain extremes!

I keep being sent bloody videos and pics of it all piling up by friends and family down there!

I keep trying to reply by turning the focus onto Altnaharra...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Off to kip, weather station is at -4.8c 4 inches of snow on the ground i am satisfied with this cold spell, nothing will beat December 2009 in my life time imo, night coldies 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
8 hours ago, garylaverick said:

@P-M apparently this is lurking somewhere in Washington. 

FB_IMG_1612997494386.jpg

Pretty cool that like isn't it lol wonder where it is. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Just got back from a half hour walk in darlington and it was baltic. 4 inch deep snow which is very powdery as I've just brushed my car clean. Says on my app its minus 6 can anyone confirm that!! My ears had that freezing tingling feeling after 15 mins outside. Darlington has quite a decent cloud cover atm and that should prevent most melting. Feels like deep winter out there. Also can anyone confirm if we had a light graupel shower last night? On some cars definitely seems so. 

Posted

Going to feel brutally cold Friday/Saturday as a SE wind picks up,very high windchill and drifting of existing snow cover especially on the higher routes.

57-515UK.thumb.GIF.f1bb1a36fd97a59fcd281c7d843c31db.GIF57-290UK.thumb.GIF.6cf38a0ab5d4f177554872443595c00a.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Minus 11.2 overnight and still minus 10.1 which makes it the coldest night for over 10 years. 

Thanks for posting your stats, Eden Valley a cold spot this morning. Shap hit a low of -11 degrees. Here we are on -3 degrees only.

Evidence air is very dry, and sun is stronger now, roofs exposed to it are clear of frost. 

Had we some snow, large icicles would have formed, alas it is a green scene with some light white.

Posted
15 hours ago, Tucka20 said:
4 minutes ago, Osbourne One-Nil said:

Minus 11.2 overnight and still minus 10.1 which makes it the coldest night for over 10 years. 

Was a balmy -12.9 overnight here and only -11.2 when I left for work! Coldest night here since 2013. Snow depth of 62cms.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
32 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Just got back from a half hour walk in darlington and it was baltic. 4 inch deep snow which is very powdery as I've just brushed my car clean. Says on my app its minus 6 can anyone confirm that!! My ears had that freezing tingling feeling after 15 mins outside. Darlington has quite a decent cloud cover atm and that should prevent most melting. Feels like deep winter out there. Also can anyone confirm if we had a light graupel shower last night? On some cars definitely seems so. 

Yes mate -6.1c was the low last night⁸