Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Well I just had a nice walk to aldis in the snow to buy a whole packet of tomatoes, any excuse to get out lol. Probably three inches of snow in undisturbed areas. So not horrendous but certainly not memorable. It feels like true winter though. Watery sunshine and no dripping whatsoever. Snow feels powdery on my car as well. Looks decent for more snow today hopefully 

Edited by Continental Climate
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
Just now, stjamesnewc said:

Radar looks better than I'd expected, especially for Sunderland-->Redcar. Maybe some decent showers for Tyneside too, as long as they don't fade on landfall!

They seem to be strengthening on landfall at the minute hopefully will continue 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, seabreeze86 said:

They seem to be strengthening on landfall at the minute hopefully will continue 

Was just about to say, they actually look to be building nicely. Fingers crossed...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

This is the satellite picture we want to see

CD042DF8-D520-4AB6-A43C-F4F4681B05B3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Bit of a lull in Chester now. Last shower darted just to the south. Could see Lumley castle disappear during the school run so very close indeed. Bit of warmth to the sun on the face now 

Posted
22 minutes ago, NickR said:

A huge waste of synoptics that don't come around very often, then, basically.

Certainly, it's been a close but no cigar setup that would have only taken a few minor tweaks to deliver the goods. The crux of the issue for me is that the air came from eastern Europe instead of the arctic so was inherently more stable, but isn't it the fact that it doesn't always come off that keeps us coming back for more?

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

Not Nick sapping the fun out of things again. Honestly mate, you've spent 4 days just moaning about how bad the cold spell has been, even when you've had 2 inches of snow overnight and a heavy shower is just passing through Durham. If it's that bad, surely you have something better to do than spamming a forum with whingeing?

Not sapping the fun at all. Certainly not spamming. We can enjoy what we've got, but also be capable of being a bit objective about it, can't we? I didn't think a weather forum had to limit itself to "yay there's a snow shower" posts. Stick me on ignore if you don't want to read my posts, mate.

Posted
2 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Certainly, it's been a close but no cigar setup that would have only taken a few minor tweaks to deliver the goods. The crux of the issue for me is that the air came from eastern Europe instead of the arctic so was inherently more stable, but isn't it the fact that it doesn't always come off that keeps us coming back for more?

Very true. And that's really interesting what you say about the air source and how that impacts stability. Something I wouldn't have thought about had I not been spamming the thread with non-celebratory posts...

• Like 1

Posted

Someone is defiantly inline to a very heavy snow shower soon. Red blobs mean dam good snow shower. 

Possible thundersnow?

Edited by NorthEastSnow

Posted

Darlington seems to be in a bit of a sweet spot atm very heavy snow here now and more on the way. Heavy showers every 10 to 15 mins hopefully. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

Alright folks, people are allowed to express their opinions about the current spell without being criticised for them. There is no requirement for analysis as this isn't the MOD thread.
If something is rule breaking or offensive then use the report function. Cheers!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Windstorms and Thunderstorms

More moderate snow in Newcastle. Got the time-lapse running too, should be a nice one!

Posted

Absolute winter wonderland here in darlo if these showers continue today could have another 3-4 inches put down. The showers are beefy and slow moving. If this carries on this event could go from reasonable to pretty decent. If we'd had this from Saturday night we would be looking at 15 inches at least. 

• Like 1