Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Decent snow shower in darlo freezing out there still. Best day of the cold spell here for sure

Posted
11 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Can see a beefy snow cloud in the distance is that coming this way I wonder. 

No idea where it’s gone...

Blue skies. 

I know a lot of our region has finally had a decent fall overnight but again it feels like Teesside has missed out on the worst. We’ve probably had 1-3cm on each of the last 3 mornings. Expected a lot more to be honest. Personally feel like it has been a massive fail. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Are these showers meant to pep up again as the day goes on? They look like they're fizzling in places now. 

Can't complain though was nice to see some falling snow. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Blue skies. 

I know a lot of our region has finally had a decent fall overnight but again it feels like Teesside has missed out on the worst. We’ve probably had 1-3cm on each of the last 3 mornings. Expected a lot more to be honest. Personally feel like it has been a massive fail. 

Yep.

We were luckier than you guys, but even those areas that got hit last night, let's face it, it was still due to a handful of showers that hit. The way it was being talked about, I expected the N Sea to be much more active last night/this morning. 2 or 3 inches is really not great when you think how the inches pile up with a properly active N Sea. Last night rescued something, but it doesn't change the fact that pretty much everywhere down the East has done better than us, which is shocking given the synoptics.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
8 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Blue skies. 

That was a tiny shower , look at the radar we have got loads incoming 

Posted

Strange accumulations overnight. West side of Darlington has about 1.5 inches, North east side hardly half an inch. Still gently snowing though

Posted

Oh well not meant to be it seems here. Any showers that have made it here have been very light and only produced a glittering or dusting. I had hoped we might have had a cm or two by this morning.

As said without a trough easterlies and north easterlies don't deliver. The absence of a trough has made for a very disappointing spell on the snow front for much of Cumbria away from Pennine fringe. The Pennines suck the life out of the showers, whereas further south they seem to hold intact more even as far as Merseyside. 

I'd  be interested to know how East Cumbria has done.

Our next snow chance will be Saturday, might squeeze something out of a very weak front. The second front on Sunday has more oomph to it, but unfortunately by time of its arrival the cold uppers will have been cut, and whilst we may see something substantive all the time the cold surface air will be mixed out, and it will quickly transition to sleet and rain and thaw. Given how cold we will have been 7 days plus having a decent fall af the end of such a spell rather than the beginning will be very grating. Could have been a week of snow cover..

Winter 20-21 first the Lake District the winter of fleeting snow cover and could have been so much better! Still have plenty of time left for heavy snowfalls but less likelihood of days and days of cover. Give me a couple of inches sticking for a week, over a foot fall that is gone the next day any day.

Posted
20 minutes ago, P-M said:

Are these showers meant to pep up again as the day goes on? They look like they're fizzling in places now. 

Can't complain though was nice to see some falling snow. 

I'm hoping we develop something similar to what the Borders had yesterday as the sun aides convection, but that purely based on hope!

What's been really evident in this spell is the lack of any trough features to bring some organisation to the showers, the airmass has just been too stable in our region.

• Like 1

Posted

Heavy snow here now , heaviest of the spell 

Posted
2 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

I'm hoping we develop something similar to what the Borders had yesterday as the sun aides convection, but that purely based on hope!

What's been really evident in this spell is the lack of any trough features to bring some organisation to the showers, the airmass has just been too stable in our region.

And yet didn't the fax charts forecast such instability?

Posted
1 minute ago, NickR said:

And yet didn't the fax charts forecast such instability?

There's been plenty of convergence lines on the FAX charts but I haven't seen any troughs on them through this spell.

Posted
1 minute ago, garylaverick said:

There's been plenty of convergence lines on the FAX charts but I haven't seen any troughs on them through this spell.

A huge waste of synoptics that don't come around very often, then, basically.

Posted

Not Nick sapping the fun out of things again. Honestly mate, you've spent 4 days just moaning about how bad the cold spell has been, even when you've had 2 inches of snow overnight and a heavy shower is just passing through Durham. If it's that bad, surely you have something better to do than spamming a forum with whingeing?

Posted
Just now, Fairweather Teessider said:

Looks a cracker of a shower gonna hit Redcar in approx half an hour. Last one was good but gone to Boro now

Aye got my eye on that blob! Whoever catches that is in business.

Posted
8 minutes ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

Yep, looks decent this for once

Hopefully this monster has our name on it 

7705FB69-C65D-4C7E-A33A-1F0B0DDF8BF0.jpeg