Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

Dare I tempt fate and say things are picking up a bit, snow showers moving west from Newcastle and retaining some of their snow as they cross the Pennines into Penrith, got a nice covering of dry snow now. Not much, but beggers and all that.

Line of showers up wind as well so looking OK, have you seen those big boys just off the coast of Tyneside? I think Newcastle will be the spot tonight.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

Dare I tempt fate and say things are picking up a bit, snow showers moving west from Newcastle and retaining some of their snow as they cross the Pennines into Penrith, got a nice covering of dry snow now. Not much, but beggers and all that.

Line of showers up wind as well so looking OK, have you seen those big boys just off the coast of Tyneside? I think Newcastle will be the spot tonight.

Andy

Yes the showers appear to be holding more intensity west side of Pennines, we have just missed out on a rash to our south.. we've been very poorly placed today, hoping tomorrow will be better. Wednesday morning looking potentially very good with more of  NE flow.

Posted

Tomorrow night in to Wednesday could be our time to shine, keep the faith! I've just been for a final trip to the bins and actually quite pleased with the accumulation managed over the last 6 hours.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

New day same rubbish, last nights activity quickly died out and now as before we have 3 areas of snow showers.

One across Southern Scotland, Edinburgh doing well 

Second across the South of Northern England, Sheffield doing well

Third large area from The Wash to the Midlands, Birmingham doing well

some lines of snow in other places as well 

However, From the NE to Cumbria it’s a snow desert, Radar is clear

” Shields Holding At 90% Captain”

For a very cold easterly like this one the current distribution of showers is a new one on me.

Andy

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Nothing all night here.  Been in the gap....however those larger slower moving showers have been slowly sinking south over Northumberland.....Will they continue?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Well been absolutely nowt all night. Definitely the beast with the least. This will go down as the winter with so much promise but delivered nowt. Radar looking rather empty this morning

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
2 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

Well been absolutely nowt all night. Definitely the beast with the least. This will go down as the winter with so much promise but delivered nowt. Radar looking rather empty this morning

Also temp has gone up by 0.7c....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything but boringly hot

Plenty on the radar though a bit of luck needed, hopefully the sun will help aid creation of the fluffier type as the graupel is a bit meh

Screenshot_20210209-061704_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210209-061831_Chrome.jpg

Edited by geordiekev

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

No new snow overnight, very dissapointing and doesn't look like we are going to get much today. Hoping that overnight into tomorrow saves this cold spell for here.

Was fully expecting a decent covering by this point but only have around an inch. Better than nothing I suppose. 

Posted
14 minutes ago, Durham snowman said:

No new snow overnight, very dissapointing and doesn't look like we are going to get much today. Hoping that overnight into tomorrow saves this cold spell for here.

Was fully expecting a decent covering by this point but only have around an inch. Better than nothing I suppose. 

Not even an a mm here. The slightest of dustings which will be gone as soon as the sun comes up. Very disappointing indeed. Models are backing away from a continuation of the cold too. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Maybe another cm overnight and looking at the radar that was probably from about an hour ago, was expecting more than that, 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

And the latest model output is meh. So the next few days is probably what winter has left to offer. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

Another rubbish night. The reason people are disappointed is the way it was suggested this was a true beast from the east.  I will never again fall for the hysterical forecasts in the MOD thread. I'll stick to the metoffice forecasts and that's about it. 

Lockdown, covid, the rubbish year we've all had, and this was something to look forward to. A few measly showers kicking  about in the North Sea but not even worth talking about. 

People can say tomorrow may deliver goods but a few hours of snow that will melt by the weekend (if it even snows) isn't a beast from the east. Its been the biggest let down in recent years this cold spell. 

Anyway enough of me being negative I've had me say. See what others get over the next few days but stay safe everyone and enjoy what you do get. 

• Like 5

Posted

Agree P-M,

Really thought this cold spell would deliver the good for us but it’s almost finished and we’ve had nothing to write home about. 

Just popped over into the Scottish thread and someone has reported 19cm! Don’t even think we have managed more than a cm! 

Edited by Snowmaggedon
  • Like 1

Posted

BBC and met office are now showing nothing for me today. Surprise surprise. Showers from 7pm tonight. Doubt it but we will see

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Just as I was about to write a moaning message the best snow of this spell has just started in darlo. Couldn't make it up. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

Just as I was about to write a moaning message the best snow of this spell has just started in darlo. Couldn't make it up. 

Yep, same here. Fingers crossed it lasts a bit longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery

I’m forgetting yesterday happened because it was naff

Got a slight covering here this morning but nothing major. Tonight and Wednesday especially look better with a better wind direction. Uppers and dew point are colder today so hopefully less melt in the middle of the day