Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
23 minutes ago, NickR said:

But that was the low we all knew about and that several banged on about how once it cleared (Sunday), all would be right (white) in the NE, with showers bubbling up a-plenty. It did, but it wasn't, because they didn't. Why?

I think you are at cross purposes? Freezing Point is on about a low in 1991, you think he means the one Saturday into Sunday just gone!

Posted
4 minutes ago, Snooow said:

Evening, made a brief foray into hear back in 2018 when, as others have mentioned thanks to some discriminatory science, Newcastle's 'Beast from the East' turned into the sheep from Whitley Bay. 

I have been reading this thread with interest in the past few days - special mention to the perpetual, but now iconic, pessimism of NickR, who has once again proven that the worst thing about pessimists is they're usually bloody right. 

That being said Newcastle has done rather better in terms of convection tonight. And if all of us can say that this time tomorrow, we might be getting somewhere. If this shower activity continues roughly into Thursday morning, we've technically only 50% of the way through this...

Oh dear snooow don't push it into Thursday mate, Nick will have you by the throat.

I agree with your comments that when it comes to pessimism then they are usually proven correct, especially when it comes to the weather, but we are not forecasters, we are here for a bit of fun, a bit of sharing what we know or what we think we know ( or at least I am ) and constantly blabbing on about wanting explanations as to why they haven't happened is just painful.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

We’ve had a couple of little showers in the last 20 mins, a mix of flakes and graupel. I might have been hoping for more but positives from this for me have been learning a bit more from this forum, and finally convincing the other half to build a window seat in the bay window seeing as I’ve been sat here for days ha. Hopefully we get some decent stuff over the next 48 hours for everyone. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, topsweep1506 said:

Here is the Skew-t sounding for today for Newcastle not to bad of a cap but it kept all the showers shallow

34965E1E-5660-44E5-A6F9-48CC43AD9568.png

And this is what was being forecast yesterday, which would have been great for convection!

skewt_Newcastle_012.png

Posted

Fair enough. Apologies for missing the point of some posts. And for bringing others down. I'll try to pipe down in future.

Not much point continuing tonight given the radar. Might go for a walk. Night.

image.thumb.png.02b93a1be7f7f0ebddbc75ac1df45dc3.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

Heaviest shower tonight here now , proper flakes 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Lot's of negative here and I know it's hit and miss but 5-6cm accumulated here and -2.4 degrees with more showers coming in so good for some (sorry for those that didn't get).

I've worked out they have to cross the coast just north of Whitley Bay to hit us.

Edited by John in the frozen north
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

Looks like I am about to taking a direct hit by that decent intensity shower.   Blowing around.  Intensity 8/10.  Probably as heavy as there's been so far..

Screenshot_20210208-222213_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

And this is what was being forecast yesterday, which would have been great for convection!

skewt_Newcastle_012.png

Looking at tomorrows models and data just looks like de-ja-vu from today as the cap seems like its staying put so shallow convection again

Posted
5 minutes ago, Freezing-Point said:

Turning out to be an OK evening here...

Aye,   I was watching that from my settee (watching a recording of the Chase with the missus) was pretty impressive - didn't get many questions right

Edited by gazzac69
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snooow said:

I rather enjoy Nick's pessimism to be honest, hence why I called it iconic. I was particularly amused at the idea that the membership cards for the pessimism club would probably end up lost in the post.

Everyone's entitled to an opinion on here, positive or negative. Personal comments aren't allowed - Nick never makes them, so there's no problem.

Did I make a personal comment  ?

I quoted something which he mentioned on this thread a few days ago and said I could understand another person's frustration towards him - is that personal ?

Yes you are right, it is all about opinions and obviously mine, and many others, differs from yours and Nick's.

Anyway, I have put that to bed, gave my opinion and moved on.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

MO forecasting a couple of hours of heavy snow after midnight and same again in the early hours are we expecting things to swing more in our favour or shall I call it bluff? 

I do see a window of opportunity but don't know if I trust it enough to stay up late again!

Posted

Beeb weather just now showed huge clusters of shower sir the North East Wed night. Matt said winds swinging round to the North East will mean more snow to the North East. Fingers crossed !

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

MO forecasting a couple of hours of heavy snow after midnight and same again in the early hours are we expecting things to swing more in our favour or shall I call it bluff? 

I would request a holiday cancellation form because you were let down. Please don’t lose sleep over this terrible weather lol. 

Posted

There seems to be a bit more of a ENE flow to the radar echoes now as opposed to a E flow - Not sure if that will help or not WRT to shower activity?

Posted
5 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

There seems to be a bit more of a ENE flow to the radar echoes now as opposed to a E flow - Not sure if that will help or not WRT to shower activity?

It can't hurt surely as the current flow isn't working for us, might as well try a different direction.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer

It's been snowing pretty heavy since 9pm probably put down a couple of inches.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mick Ormiston said:

It's been snowing pretty heavy since 9pm probably put down a couple of inches.

Sorry Mick we like you and all but you need your own thread my jealousy of consett is just to much. 

• Like 1

Posted

Canny hail shower here now - I am going to keep reporting  snow/hail & be optimistic for the next few days coz this spell may be the last of the winter