Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
4 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Well said seabreeze, we are on day 1 for gods sake people, still tonight, tomorrow, tomorrow night, Wednesday, Wednesday night and potentially even a little about still on Thursday then it looks like we stay cold for the best part of the month with potentially more snow events which could pop up.

Yes it hasn't met expectations YET but come on team NE thread there is still time and if it doesn't happen then it's only weather.

It's only weather? The bairns pesky sledge cost £9 but its the mental toll too. 'is it snowing yet?' can we go sledging tomorrow? Why is there not enough snow for sledging, you said there would be? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
2 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Day two. 

And throw in the mix that after tomorrow is forecast to die off  ... id say its fine to be disappointed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, P-M said:

And throw in the mix that after tomorrow is forecast to die off  ... id say its fine to be disappointed

Wednesday is supposed to be the best day I thought 

• Like 1

Posted

OK, so it's gone Monday afternoon. So what's the latest excuse, sorry, reason why the predictions didn't materialise?

I'm serious: I'd like to learn. First it was the low hanging round, then lack of heights (was it?), now...? Whatever, the fact is it's been pushed back and back. We're now more than 48 hrs on from when we initially expected it to be snowing decently. And here we sit. I'd like to learn because false hope is a fool's game.

• Like 2

Posted
8 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

Well yeah but remember this time last night it wasn't happening anywhere anywhere so today is day 1 for me.

Lol it doesn't work like that let's face it, up to now it's been a major letdown for most people. At 4am we had a dandruff coating. At 6am, maybe a cm by a shower of real snow, that basically melted and it's been graupel all day again. At the moment, we have an dandruff coating of graupel. I said yesterday, for Teesside to get anything worthwhile, it needs to be something special like 2010 or 2018. As it stands, it's simply not happening yet no matter how many people mention how the radar looks. 

Edited by shawty1984

Posted

I was going to say folks that I hope pretty soon you are all eating your own words but I don't I actually hope you are all eating your own snow.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
1 minute ago, NickR said:

OK, so it's gone Monday afternoon. So what's the latest excuse, sorry, reason why the predictions didn't materialise?

I'm serious: I'd like to learn. First it was the low hanging round, then lack of heights (was it?), now...? Whatever, the fact is it's been pushed back and back. We're now more than 48 hrs on from when we initially expected it to be snowing decently. And here we sit. I'd like to learn because false hope is a fool's game.

The thing is, some places are seeing decent snow showers and frequent ones where they have aligned.

Obviously for some like yourself and to some extent myself, the showers just aren't falling right at the moment... Just one of those things unfortunately.

Posted
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

The thing is, some places are seeing decent snow showers and frequent ones where they have aligned.

Obviously for some like yourself and to some extent myself, the showers just aren't falling right at the moment... Just one of those things unfortunately.

We've had showers all day, showers of graupel.

Posted
1 minute ago, doctor32 said:

I see people getting graupel (mainly) showers and no one without height having any proper snow and proper snow accumulations of any note. We do ourselves no favours by making out that even 10% of people have got anywhere close to what people were predicting on Friday for Saturday, on Saturday for Sunday, and on Sunday for today.

Posted
2 minutes ago, shawty1984 said:

Lol it doesn't work like that let's face it, up to now it's been a major letdown for most people. At 4am we had a dandruff coating. At 6am, maybe a cm by a shower of real snow, that basically melted and it's been graupel all day again. At the moment, we have an dandruff coating of graupel. I said yesterday, more Teesside to get anything worthwhile, it needs to be something special like 2010 or 2018. As it stands, it's simply not happening yet no matter how many people mention how the radar looks. 

I agree that it has been a letdown but let's face it,  it's not as if that is something we are not used to with our weather and amazing forecasts but yet we still have time to get something from this.

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Wednesday is supposed to be the best day I thought 

Could well be wednesday morning with a light NE wind so showers slower moving.

overview_20210208_12_042.thumb.jpg.42ce8f3f97a97de99405a291aea99151.jpg

• Like 3

Posted

Our region is basically a one-trick pony for really decent snow: a N'Ely. When it happens, it's awesome. But I think we need to stop seeing E'lies as great news: they very rarely deliver here.

Posted
Just now, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

Proper heavy snow here it just keeps on coming non stop for the last hour or so  

Does this count as the NE? Or this just trolling of the cruelest variety?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)
Just now, NickR said:

I see people getting graupel (mainly) showers and no one without height having any proper snow and proper snow accumulations of any note. We do ourselves no favours by making out that even 10% of people have got anywhere close to what people were predicting on Friday for Saturday, on Saturday for Sunday, and on Sunday for today.

Yes alot of hail showers, can't deny that... But plenty snow showers also.

I have been out most of the day on the roads and was in Walker (Newcastle) late morning and had a few very heavy snow showers, then whiteout conditions on the A1 between Chester-le-street and Durham.

Accumulations varied a lot from one place to another and snow melt today was more than i would of thought despite low temps and sub zero dew points.

I feel the strength of wind has meant showers have blown through quickly today. Meaning less falling to the ground in the space of time perhaps.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

At last,somebody from the moors telling us as it is. 

I did think the moors would be getting an hammering, might risk the covid police and have a drive over tomorrow.

Any chance you have a spare property over there to let out to NickR so he can see some proper snow.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

Nick, please do not go on the Scotland thread you won’t be happy.

*They are getting hammered*

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
5 minutes ago, NorthYorkMoorsSnow said:

I wish I still lived in Kirkbymoorside 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
12 minutes ago, NickR said:

I really share your frustration, this is a classic Easterly and your location should be buried while mine should have some decent left overs, instead i have just had one covering which melted in the afternoon sun.

Similar synoptics to this week gave the following depths in Penrith which isn't as well blessed as the North East in an very cold Easterly.

17.03.18  6cms

28.02.18  15cms

11.03.13  7cms

01.12.10  14cms

29.11.10  10cms

02.01.10  10cms

02.02.09   8cms

Depths in Durham of course would have been higher.

OK I have made my point and some of the above had higher 850 uppers!

What is wrong with this Easterly?

Andy

Andy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
38 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

You must of got a good covering between 5 and 6 

Yeah decent covering then so must grumble. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers
12 minutes ago, NickR said:

Can we have a pass word put on this forum so gloating folk from Scotland and Yorkshire can't get in?

Sod off lads let us suffer in silence.

Andy

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, garylaverick said:

12 hours accumulation snow shield activated.

Screenshot_20210208-203758_Chrome.jpg

Jesus. That's awful. Seriously - we are supposed to be the region that gets it best from these, and we're literally the worst place down the entire East!