Posted
2 minutes ago, BornFromTheVoid said:

Looks like a potential streamer developing for Newcastle shortly after 1 pm

radar2.thumb.jpg.9129a10704ef87671fa28b84e5f16955.jpg

Yeah I’ve got my eye on this too hope it stays on track

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

Well this is very underwhelming really the showers that do come to darlo whizz through in a few minutes and deposit tiny amounts that melt away as soon as the sun comes out. We've probably had two beefy showers since 7am the rest not even worth mentioning. All this melt and lack of showers with -12 uppers in place. Really poor fare. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
10 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

People's expectations are too high, those sort of events are once a decade if not rarer events. 

Checks calendar 2 years 11 months - nope not a decade  

People forgetting there was a million relatively lame easterlies like this one between 2010 and 2016 - and presumably beyond (I moved in 2016) 

Lame is how I'd call this.  However expectations are high because the synoptic evolution was and is far from lame.  The synoptics for the NH are something beyond once in a decade currently. I think that's why people were expecting a bit more. 

But as people have said its early days. A lot can happen between now and Friday. 

Posted
1 minute ago, Continental Climate said:

Well this is very underwhelming really the showers that do come to darlo whizz through in a few minutes and deposit tiny amounts that melt away as soon as the sun comes out. We've probably had two beefy showers since 7am the rest not even worth mentioning. All this melt and lack of showers with -12 uppers in place. Really poor fare. 

@NickR we have another member who needs a  card

Edited by P-M

Posted
3 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Just been out for a couple of hours lovely to walk on crunching snow but it’s already turning to slush in some parts...

we need a refill. 

We need a miracle 

Edited by P-M
  • Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, P-M said:

I'm actually usually the opposite but I think after this latest lockdown and getting over covid for a second time  I was excited to see some of the white stuff.  

I promise to give me head a wobble and be more positive this afternoon.  

Keep the faith! Just back from walking the dergs and had 2 very heavy mini blizzards, fantastic! You mentioned walking the dog then getting back to watch the radar, I watch the radar then try and get out when snow is more likely, greatest walking weather, snow and temps freezing or below.

I'm sure most will see some more heavy squalls this week and who knows, maybe a reload after a little breather))

• Like 1

Posted

If this does continue to be such a poor affair, I think we need seriously to reevaluate our amateur-enthusiast dismissal of what forecasts show leading up to an event.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

BBC going for streamers from midlands south and one Edinburgh / Borders for tonight... Just scattered showers here.   But you never know what can develop....

Edited by Freezing-Point

Posted
5 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Just been out for a couple of hours lovely to walk on crunching snow but it’s already turning to slush in some parts...

we need a refill. 

You'll probably find that the sun has that little bit more strength now and even if temp was sub zero all day if sun shone snow would melt a bit. Still lovely to be out in, not long back from my walk and at one point was watching a heavy snow shower come in from the coast and the land in the distance was disappearing but facing the sun I could feel a bit wrmth on my face, magical!

Just the pickup to get rid of lockdown blues))

Edited by Airedalejoe
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

If this does continue to be such a poor affair, I think we need seriously to reevaluate our amateur-enthusiast dismissal of what forecasts show leading up to an event.

That's a good point. MetOffice have changed their outlook for me to light showers from Heavy Snow right through to Wednesday evening, so a big downgrade from them. NetWeather are forecasting the odd light shower (under 0.5mm each 3 hours) tomorrow morning then nothing tomorrrow night and Wednesday. We're told to ignore these due to convection. I'd love for them to be wrong but my money is on the multi-million pound systems sadly. I'd love to be wrong though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Freezing-Point said:

BCC going for streamers from midlands south and one Edinburgh / Borders for tonight... Just scattered showers here.   But you never know what can develop....

The latest forecast video from the met office is a lot better than the BBC one 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm sunny summers

I was worried that snow showers over the North East wouldn’t make it to Cumbria.

I need not have worried as there aren’t any showers in the North East!

Had about the same snow this morning as Darlington which is not a lot.

Andy

13315F74-C4FF-44AD-B302-CA79B738E33F.jpeg

Posted

Remembering back to Feb 2005 which brought a long draw easterly later in the month but uppers were not cold. I was in the NE then, lots of snow showers but we had lots of melt.

It's not a Feb 18, uppers not as cold, and no trough feature as yet.

It is the lack of trough features which is making what looks great on paper a more underwhelming experience so far for many.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

As I'm sat gawping at the radar I think I might be able to see the first signs of two possible streamers setting up. I think another member mentioned it earlier. One for Newcastle area and one further south, possible teesside. Can anyone else confirm this? 

North East snow beat me to it lol 

Edited by Continental Climate
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
1 minute ago, Penrith Snow said:

I was worried that snow showers over the North East wouldn’t make it to Cumbria.

I need not have worried as there aren’t any showers in the North East!

Had about the same snow this morning as Darlington which is not a lot.

Andy

13315F74-C4FF-44AD-B302-CA79B738E33F.jpeg

I can assure you we have more than that in my area of Darlington 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not warmth

It just goes to show that forecasting is really difficult even with supercomputing. I thought this was going to be like 2018 a little, but no. I do think my area will get a little more these coming weeks.....but it's always 2 hrs away, then 6 hrs. On a plus side my colleagues have been digging cars and trucks out on the A66 and I'm on rest days. That's the only thing keeping me smiling today. 

Posted
Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
11 minutes ago, P-M said:

@NickR we have another member who needs a  card

I'll have one too please?!

This 'special event' certainly got ramped!

• Like 1

Posted

1 minute ago, Continental Climate said:

As I'm sat gawping at the radar I think I might be able to see the first signs of two possible streamers setting up. I think another member mentioned it earlier. One for Newcastle area and one further south, possible teesside. Can anyone else confirm this? 

Possible.  Just depends on if they develop or decline before they make land.  Showers seem to be doing both

Posted

I tend to be very wary when forecasters completely downplay an event. Since Saturday we've talked about the low, lack of troughs, high cloud... maybe they saw this and we didn't back on Friday/Saturday.

Posted
1 minute ago, garylaverick said:

Latest fax!

image.thumb.png.f34d96ad2c3797bf702f264bcaddb913.png

That look promising.   Why didnt the BBC pick up on these troughs.  I only watched the forecast 20 minutes ago

• Like 1