Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
13 minutes ago, Tucka20 said:

That's my short of choice. Or an amaretto sour, that is something else. We went to an AI hotel in Crete (remember when you could go abroad) and disarrono was on the menu. I must have put a couple of bottles full back in sours. 

Probably had more chance of seeing the snow in Crete than the north east of the UK lol.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Northern Lurker said:

The APERGE & GEM 3 hour accumulated rainfall (snowfall) charts are encouraging for Mon afternoon through to Wed morning, APRRGE in particular shows a 24 hour streamer of decent intensity over the North East... a significant improvement from what it showed this morning! 

WWW.METCHECK.COM

Metcheck.com - GEM Pressure & Rainfall Charts - 6-240hr Forecast.

So now it's Monday AFTERNOON?

I mean... :/

Posted
14 minutes ago, izi said:

there’s nothing to watch other than that too the north-east scotland  which was never sinking south in an easterly flow. the ‘streamers’ are tiny and not beefing up. snooze time.

It's not that they're meant to sink south, it's that the conditions off the North East Coast will become similar to those currently off Scotland allowing the same level of convection.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

Latest radar shows a gap between our sh**te we've got now and what the Scots are getting it has been noticable today that

this has been drifing slowly south today, the stuff in Scotland is what I was hoping we got today - Anybody know why there is a gap?

I would like to think we are going to get what the Scots are getting in the next few days coz they look like proper beasty snow showers not the pussys we,ve got now

image.thumb.png.ad7234941cbf723c24aeb7ac8313853a.png

It's because the sea off the North East is still under the influence of the German low which is capping convection. The sea off Scotland is not under this influence. The low is slowly moving away...

Edited by garylaverick
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, rdt123 said:

The lad already had a sledge , my 3 year old girl’s one came prime on sat - don’t think  she’ll need it bless her 

Yep, we had one but there would have been tussles for it so picked a second one up in anticipation. We're moving house in 2 weeks so could do without the extra clutter but as this snow spell was nailed on figured it was worth it... 

Posted
1 minute ago, garylaverick said:

It's because the sea off the North East is still under the influence of the German low which is capping convection. The sea off Scotland is not under this influence. The low is slowly moving away...

What has happened that this state of affairs is lasting at least half a day if not whole 24 hours longer than many were predicting as recently as this morning, though?

Posted
5 minutes ago, rdt123 said:

The lad already had a sledge , my 3 year old girl’s one came prime on sat - don’t think  she’ll need it bless her 

It will happen RDT, I am convinced.

I know me being convinced doesn't make it snow but I would be extremely shocked and surprised if we don't wake up tomorrow with enough snow on the ground for the little uns to go sledging.

If we get to the end of the week without that opportunity then I think it is time for us all to throw in the weather towel.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!
9 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

Latest radar shows a gap between our sh**te we've got now and what the Scots are getting it has been noticable today that

this has been drifing slowly south today, the stuff in Scotland is what I was hoping we got today - Anybody know why there is a gap?

I would like to think we are going to get what the Scots are getting in the next few days coz they look like proper beasty snow showers not the pussys we,ve got now

image.thumb.png.ad7234941cbf723c24aeb7ac8313853a.png

Just spat my tea out reading that in your daft accent

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NickR said:

What has happened that this state of affairs is lasting at least half a day if not whole 24 hours longer than many were predicting as recently as this morning, though?

Oh yes I'm not going to disagree with that, the important thing is all of the pieces are moving to the locations forecast, just over a longer time frame. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Good call, lets hope it buggers of quick - somebody give it a good kick up the a**e

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Aye, unfortunately it seems to be moving at a glacial pace (screenshots below show it has hardly moved in the last hour and a half). Very frustrating but it will eventually clear and allow beefier showers to form, as has happened in SE Scotland.

For those getting frustrated, it might be better to do something else for a couple of hours and see where we are then. Unfortunately can't see anything interesting happening this side of midnight now.

Screenshot_20210207-211146_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210207-211202_Chrome.jpg

Posted

Keep an eye on this zone on the IR sat loop, the clearing skies indicates the low is loosing it's influence over atmospheric conditions here. This is what we need to expand. 

20210207_211717.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
13 minutes ago, NickR said:

So now it's Monday AFTERNOON?

I mean...

It's Monday afternoon for the start of our new streamer, which in reality will make it wed morning. Just in time for it all to melt. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

As Gary just said above I've just checked the Sat24.com and there's definite movement now across the North Sea.  This is what we've been waiting for....

20210207_212221.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
4 minutes ago, garylaverick said:

Keep an eye on this zone on the IR sat loop, the clearing skies indicates the low is loosing it's influence over atmospheric conditions here. This is what we need to expand. 

20210207_211717.gif

Just out of interest mate how do you do these snaps with animation? 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Don’t know how much longer I can stay patient for. Terrible winter everywhere else getting hammered but us. 

1 decent event here this winter and I was at work. Was nearly gone by time got home. Its disheartening tbh

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
1 minute ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Don’t know how much longer I can stay patient for. Terrible winter everywhere else getting hammered but us. 

Yeah it’s frustrating how long this is taking but it will happen. Work in the morning so off to bed expecting a much better radar when I get up 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

It was my worry never mind. It’s only weather lol. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, P-M said:

Just out of interest mate how do you do these snaps with animation? 

I download the GIF from Meteociel then I can edit on my phone to add the pen.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, P-M said:

As Gary just said above I've just checked the Sat24.com and there's definite movement now across the North Sea.  This is what we've been waiting for....

20210207_212221.jpg

That 11pm heavy snow may materialise after all - here's hoping.

Don't know about you folks but I am bloody shattered tonight, not much sleep last night lamp post watching.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
2 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

That 11pm heavy snow may materialise after all - here's hoping.

Don't know about you folks but I am bloody shattered tonight, not much sleep last night lamp post watching.

It'll be after midnight now. 3 4am. I'm off to bed. Work for 5am