Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Well this is pretty rubbish right now. I'm on 5am start at work in Durham city so we will see what I wake up to. Metoffice website has me down for heavy snow from 11pm until 6am then light snow all tomorrow. BBC heavy snow from midnight. And when BBC don't know what to do they just copy and paste the previous days lol

Screenshot_20210207-204443.thumb.png.b9c5b37abd433824b37968afa96d2bf3.png

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, garylaverick said:

The flow will straighten to a straight easterly or ENE'ly as the low sinks through Germany.

not so sure

Posted
3 minutes ago, NickR said:

Sorry but this is rubbish. There is actually less activity between the Northumberland streamer and the Teesside streamer (not that either of them are very good) than an hour ago.

I've noticed people keep pushing this back... now it's "nah, it was never due to get going until Monday". Sat pm... then Sunday... then  Sunday evening/night... I'm spotting a pattern.

I think for me the synoptics we need are slowly but surely developing which is why I remain hopeful, granted it is taking longer than I anticipated to get there. However, there's still a good 72 hours before the pattern is due to change which is still plenty of time to deliver the goods. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed
1 minute ago, P-M said:

Can't deny it's rubbish right now. I think I'm going to have a whiskey and see what's happens in an hour or so. 

Keep the faith Nick keep the faith

Off topic, my daughter introduced me to a 'Godfather Cocktail' this evening, it's simply whisky and amaretto over ice. It's an amazing drink just thought I'd share if you have never tried it  

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NickR said:

Sorry but this is rubbish. There is actually less activity between the Northumberland streamer and the Teesside streamer (not that either of them are very good) than an hour ago.

I've noticed people keep pushing this back... now it's "nah, it was never due to get going until Monday". Sat pm... then Sunday... then  Sunday evening/night... I'm spotting a pattern.

I've been quiet today as I was told on Saturday night and this morning when I said it was disappointing and my luck wasn't in that I was being negative and it will come. Tomorrow will be the day. Well tomorrow may never come. 

The original forecast was for heavy stuff Sat afternoon through to Monday with showers right through the week before a south westerly front hit on Thursday and dumped another few inches. Then it was Saturday night. Then Sunday morning. Then it was 'yeah this morning was always going to be quiet, wait till later'. Now it's showers Mon to Wed and dry after that. 

If we get a good dumping over the next 48 hours I'll eat my hat, but I can see 2 or 3cm blowing in the wind as all we'll get sadly this week. The jury is out for the rest of this month but it looks to be cold with HP so no snow, but high gas bills. 

Anyway, I blame myself. I bought a new sledge on Saturday morning for my little one. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
3 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

It’s just not happening is it. 

Not right now it's not.  It's only 9pm though.  I'm glad I'm working from home tomorrow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine

I must admit it I'm surprised but the streamers seem to be failing. They just don't seem to want to get going. The one in Northern Scotland is producing big meaty blobs ours are just more rubbish graupel clouds. I ain't gonna waste another night on this sh%te!! I'm beginning to lose interest in this whole cold spell to be honest. 

Edited by Continental Climate

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
1 minute ago, Mercury Rising said:

Off topic, my daughter introduced me to a 'Godfather Cocktail' this evening, it's simply whisky and amaretto over ice. It's an amazing drink just thought I'd share if you have never tried it  

That actually sounds canny to be fair and I have both.  In fact I'm going to try it now.... will a pint glass do? 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Mercury Rising said:

That's my short of choice. Or an amaretto sour, that is something else. We went to an AI hotel in Crete (remember when you could go abroad) and disarrono was on the menu. I must have put a couple of bottles full back in sours. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
1 hour ago, Geordiesnow said:

I don't think height makes a difference as the air is so cold, I just imagine you got hit by the PPN more than they did in the Team Valley. 

Still no real signs of proper convection though, no idea how much on the radar is actually reaching the ground but if you get a heavier burst, it will settle right away. 

It does make a difference, looking around the Gateshead, Newcastle, north Durham area you could see lower areas had little lying snow.  Earlier today the air wasn’t as cold as it is now.

That is why when you see weather forecasts they always forecast more snow for higher ground.

There can be no snow at Gateshead centre but up here we can have a good couple of inches. This is a common occurrence each winter.

Posted
1 minute ago, Tucka20 said:

I've been quiet today as I was told on Saturday night and this morning when I said it was disappointing and my luck wasn't in that I was being negative and it will come. Tomorrow will be the day. Well tomorrow may never come. 

The original forecast was for heavy stuff Sat afternoon through to Monday with showers right through the week before a south westerly front hit on Thursday and dumped another few inches. Then it was Saturday night. Then Sunday morning. Then it was 'yeah this morning was always going to be quiet, wait till later'. Now it's showers Mon to Wed and dry after that. 

If we get a good dumping over the next 48 hours I'll eat my hat, but I can see 2 or 3cm blowing in the wind as all we'll get sadly this week. The jury is out for the rest of this month but it looks to be cold with HP so no snow, but high gas bills. 

Anyway, I blame myself. I bought a new sledge on Saturday morning for my little one. 

I'm with you. Believe me, I desperately wanted my negativity to be proved unduly pessimistic, rather than realistic, but at the moment... :/

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Snow White said:

It does make a difference, looking around the Gateshead, Newcastle, north Durham area you could see lower areas had little lying snow.  Earlier today the air wasn’t as cold as it is now.

That is why when you see weather forecasts they always forecast more snow for higher ground.

There can be no snow at Gateshead centre but up here we can have a good couple of inches. This is a common occurrence each winter.

I was down the team valley earlier too from whickham. Same intensity of shi... Showers as up in Whickham where there's a thin blowy layer, yet it was melting on the valley instantly. It was 1 degree down there and - 1 up at home, so there's definitely something in it. 

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, Continental Climate said:

I must admit I'm  but surprised but the streamers seem to be failing. They just don't seem to want to get going. The one in Northern Scotland is producing big meaty blobs ours are just more rubbish graupel clouds. I ain't gonna waste another night on this sh%te!! I'm beginning to lose interest in this whole cold spell to be honest. 

there’s nothing to watch other than that too the north-east scotland  which was never sinking south in an easterly flow. the ‘streamers’ are tiny and not beefing up. snooze time.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed
1 minute ago, P-M said:

That actually sounds canny to be fair and I have both.  In fact I'm going to try it now.... will a pint glass do? 

That was my excuse to make room for the ice

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Lightning, Thunder, Snow, Thundersnow, Hail, Sunshine, Rainbows
1 minute ago, Continental Climate said:

I must admit I'm  but surprised but the streamers seem to be failing. They just don't seem to want to get going. The one in Northern Scotland is producing big meaty blobs ours are just more rubbish graupel clouds. I ain't gonna waste another night on this sh%te!! I'm beginning to lose interest in this whole cold spell to be honest. 

Don't lose faith - the North East had what is now in east Lincolnshire - that has now moved south and we are getting slightly heavier showers all be it still graupel - just wait to see what happens.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy weather in winter. Dry and warm in summer.
1 hour ago, Jarrow Posh said:

I was up there the other day to see the snow,its just under 500 feet asl around there 

Yes we get a lot more snow than the surrounding areas due to that little bit of height.

When I quote snow depths I always try to say my location near the QE as often there is very little in Gateshead town centre and people may think you are exaggerating.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Snow White said:

Yes we get a lot more snow than the surrounding areas due to that little bit of height.

When I quote snow depths I always try to say my location near the QE as often there is very little in Gateshead town centre and people may think you are exaggerating.

We're the same in Whickham. Whenever I mention people tend to say 'ah near the Metro Centre'. We are, however there's your choice of 3 huge hills to travel up to get here. We're closer in altitude to Stanley. My house is 175m ASL

Edited by Tucka20
  • Like 1

Posted

Latest radar shows a gap between our sh**te we've got now and what the Scots are getting it has been noticable today that

this has been drifing slowly south today, the stuff in Scotland is what I was hoping we got today - Anybody know why there is a gap?

I would like to think we are going to get what the Scots are getting in the next few days coz they look like proper beasty snow showers not the pussys we,ve got now

image.thumb.png.ad7234941cbf723c24aeb7ac8313853a.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes

Whats going on are these showers been pushed north looks like it looking at the radar 

The APERGE & GEM 3 hour accumulated rainfall (snowfall) charts are encouraging for Mon afternoon through to Wed morning, APRRGE in particular shows a 24 hour streamer of decent intensity over the North East... a significant improvement from what it showed this morning! 

WWW.METCHECK.COM

Metcheck.com - GEM Pressure & Rainfall Charts - 6-240hr Forecast.

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, Tucka20 said:

The lad already had a sledge , my 3 year old girl’s one came prime on sat - don’t think  she’ll need it bless her 

Posted

I have no idea of the physics of it, but if you've ever experience lake-effect snow in the US, you'll be familiar with the banding; leading to some places having sunshine, whilst two miles down the road it's a round the clock white-out. Just the way it works I guess.