Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
2 minutes ago, Steady Easterly said:

I bet they are cheaper to keep a week than a fortnight.

Believe it or not, they don’t eat anywhere near as much as similar sized breeds.

Raw fed, and have a high  metabolism, so consume much more from their food than most other dogs, so don’t need as much.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, North East Blizzard said:

Calm down, its literally only getting started, no one was forecast deep snow off that band, tbh the quicker it shifted the better as the convection can get get going, which it is now. 

Not exactly true, a lot of people were saying that fun and games would start Saturday night. Anyway we are all in this together, so let's hope that something big and memorable is coming up soon.

Posted
9 minutes ago, **!!** said:

How long do we reckon it will be before that low down south shifts itself out the way?

Over the next 24 hours.

Posted
3 minutes ago, mathematician said:

Not exactly true, a lot of people were saying that fun and games would start Saturday night. Anyway we are all in this together, so let's hope that something big and memorable is coming up soon.

The weather doesnt give a hoot what people were saying, it will do what it will do regardless, deeper cold in place now, it should get more and more wintry.

Posted

I did had a feeling Sunday may of seen more stratuscumulus type cloud just because of the higher thicknesses. Hopefully thicknesses will go lower as they are forecast too and that will increase the instability so we get some true convection. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Updated snow warning from 00:00 tomorrow until 23:59 Wednesday

Frequent snow showers may lead to travel disruption in places. Some places are likely to miss the showers altogether.

What to expect

• Some roads and railways likely to be affected with longer journey times by road, bus and train services. Small chance of longer travel delays in places with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel.
  • Some injuries from slips and falls on icy surfaces
  • Probably some icy patches on some untreated roads, pavements and cycle paths
  • There is a slight chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected

Reason for update

Warning extended to end of Wednesday, with ice dropped in favour of snow being the primary hazard. Area extended westwards slightly across Northern England.

Snow showers will feed off the North Sea into many northern and eastern areas of the UK. Whilst some areas in the warning area will remain largely dry, some persistent bands of showers are likely to develop in places. Daily accumulations of 2-5 cm are probable for some, with 10-15 cm plausible in areas where showers merge into more organised and prolonged spells of snow. Some icy stretches are possible overnight, mainly where melting snow during the afternoon has not a chance to dry out before freezing overnight, although snow is likely to be more prevalent.

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-02-08&id=ce81df33-8c42-42f3-bb88-880fd65ad316&details

Posted

Updated MetO warning highlighting the lottery nature of shower setups.

Updated: 10:22 (UTC) on Sun 7 Feb 2021

Further details

Snow showers will feed off the North Sea into many northern and eastern areas of the UK. Whilst some areas in the warning area will remain largely dry, some persistent bands of showers are likely to develop in places. Daily accumulations of 2-5 cm are probable for some, with 10-15 cm plausible in areas where showers merge into more organised and prolonged spells of snow. Some icy stretches are possible overnight, mainly where melting snow during the afternoon has not a chance to dry out before freezing overnight, although snow is likely to be more prevalent.

Posted

“Frequent snow showers may lead to travel disruption in places. Some places are likely to miss the showers altogether”

God this sounds like Teesside written all over it. 

Bad vibes! 

• Like 3

Posted
51 minutes ago, Penrith Snow said:

What convective cap? From the front over SE England.

Cumbria sometimes does well with convection snow easterlies like in February 2018 but most models are keeping us dry.

Models were the same in 2018 so hopefully they are wrong now also.

My wife keeps asking me is it going to snow and she is not impressed with my bumbling response about 850 uppers and streamer location, thats my Sunday dinner ruined as a result  

Come on guys help me out, will the showers get across the Pennines, what are the main parameters?

Andy

Hi Andy, showers have crossed the Pennine divide, current radar shows moderate precipitation in the Kirkby Stephen to Tebay location, and showers made it through S Cumbria an hour or two ago. The wind is strong and will easily shift showers our way, wind direction is ENE - even better for Cumbria. Might just be light and shortlived through daylight hours, but possibly heavier through the evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter
34 minutes ago, untiedshoes said:

Believe it or not, they don’t eat anywhere near as much as similar sized breeds.

Raw fed, and have a high  metabolism, so consume much more from their food than most other dogs, so don’t need as much.

Mines raw fed too. 1kg of meat a day shes on. Always preferred it to standard dog food. 

Mine loves the snow she sits for hours watching it wanting to play in it. I think my snow nut personality had washed off on her lol the pic below is from the 2018 beast.  

FB_IMG_1612694672510.jpg

Posted

Some brighter echoes starting to appear on the radar now, especially towards the far south of the region for some reason. Guisborough may see something with a little more intensity over the next hour or so.

Posted

Showers are a bit more pokey now but interestingly are of graupel/fine soft hail rather than real snowflakes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe Thunderstorms, Heat (Summer) & Snow in Winter

43 minutes ago, untiedshoes said:

Graupel showers here in Washington too. Radar showing plenty convection just not deep enough yet to provide heavy snow showers but im hopeful it will this afternoon. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed

Nothing of note falling from Sunderland albeit  I'm 1/2 mile from the coast -hoping it'll improve later through out the day 

Posted

Odd bit of graupel here in Billingham. Not feeling it at present , doesn’t feel like a 2018. Early days mind and we aren’t reallly in the easterly flow though it’s later than predicted that’s for sure. Tomorrow looks like the main chance then a drier few days 

rob

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter
30 minutes ago, P-M said:

Mines raw fed too. 1kg of meat a day shes on. Always preferred it to standard dog food. 

Mine loves the snow she sits for hours watching it wanting to play in it. I think my snow nut personality had washed off on her lol the pic below is from the 2018 beast.  

FB_IMG_1612694672510.jpg

1kg a day

Ours get 200g of tripe and some beef chunks. Alternate with salmon, tuna and sardines.

Anyway, the weather. Frequent showers, but nothing to note, and nothing settling either.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, NickR said:

I'm all set, armed with what I'll need for the coming hours and days...

ruler.jpg

Nice to see you ramping.