Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
11 minutes ago, John in the frozen north said:

Now 0.5 degrees snowing and starting to settle.

Quite a marked temp difference compared to here, currently 4.2 degrees but it is beginning to drop and the precipitation finally appears to be breaking through the Pennines into Cumbria, not sure how much might be left on the front assuming it makes its way to here and doesn't fizzle in situ before sinking south.

I have an eye on later in the coming week, might be a stalling frontal feature moving in from the west which should give general snow, long way off and the front may not make it, or have much oomph to it.

Before then attention firmly on the radar, I agree it will be mid afternoon tomorrow onwards when convection kicks off properly. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow

It is poor that the weather forcast is sleet and snow , you woudl think with -10c uppers sleet should be out of the question , but i have seen this before . however if we have -11c uppers as forecast there shoudl be snow on the beaches 

Posted

Latest measurements

Wind Speed:12mph

Wind Direction:Northerly

Air Temperature:2.6 °c

Rain State:Dry

Road Surface Temperature:2.3 °c

For Toronto.  Guess we need a drop of a couple degrees here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: not fussed

Quick question if anyone knows?  The various (somewhat unreliable) weather apps/ sites  has been mentioned a few times. 

Doing a online search I came across this site:

https://www.accuweather.com/en/gb/sunderland/sr1-3/minute-weather-forecast/708899 

Is this one of the more reliable sites to get up to date info ? 

Thanks 

Posted

T-1 (SAT 6PM)  rain/sleet stopped - 12 GFS Looking good still - where are the expected snow showers out to sea - nowt showing on radar yet?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

Temperature just not really falling much at the moment here.

Been between 2.4 and 3c for the past 3 hours or so, going up and down in that range.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
3 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

Temperature just not really falling much at the moment here.

Been between 2.4 and 3c for the past 3 hours or so, going up and down in that range.

Much colder air still out at sea. Temperature will drop like a stone when they arrive 

F6A69A0B-C519-4BD0-8A07-A7FBCCA5EB7B.png

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Doctor96 said:

It is poor that the weather forcast is sleet and snow , you woudl think with -10c uppers sleet should be out of the question , but i have seen this before . however if we have -11c uppers as forecast there shoudl be snow on the beaches 

I just seen a forecast online by Louise Lear and she puts "squally wintry showers". Hope she is ashamed of herself, terrible forecasting. 

I think the issue we have is compared to the output 2 days ago, the cold is slower to flood in so instead of Saturday night when the fun might start it could be more the early hours. Whilst I would not take the BBC forecasts too literally,  I think convection might be more hit and miss than people might think for Sunday. Thicknesses are not all that low and then we got the potential issue with cloud cover from the front over us now, how long will that take to clear. I have not found a low pressure system as frustrating as I have this one in terms with its slowness to clear. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I just seen a forecast online by Louise Lear and she puts "squally wintry showers". Hope she is ashamed of herself, terrible forecasting. 

I think the issue we have is compared to the output 2 days ago, the cold is slower to flood in so instead of Saturday night when the fun might start it could be more the early hours. Whilst I would not take the BBC forecasts too literally,  I think convection might be more hit and miss than people might think for Sunday. Thicknesses are not all that low and then we got the potential issue with cloud cover from the front over us now, how long will that take to clear. I have not found a low pressure system as frustrating as I have this one in terms with its slowness to clear. 

Agreed Sunday looks like a more light snow shower day but perhaps some heavier stuff at the back end of the front clearing south. Monday and Tuesday look very convective would expect some heavy snow showers both days. 

As for the BBCs forecasts there not worth anyone’s time anymore last weeks forecast for the week ahead had us under a warm southwesterly flow today from one rouge ECM run. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All extreme weather especially cold and snow!
21 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Much colder air still out at sea. Temperature will drop like a stone when they arrive 

F6A69A0B-C519-4BD0-8A07-A7FBCCA5EB7B.png

Quick tip...If you click on 'Show Borders' it gives you a rough outline of the British Isles,helps when precipitation covers the chart like that.

• Like 1

Posted

Radar says it should be moderate snow/sleet right now. Just had a look. Pretty much nothing falling from the sky whatsoever. Underwhelming.

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like much less snow for us (and others) on the 12z from Wed onwards that has been forecast - we don't get the front reaching us later in the week. What is ramped up is the cold under clear skies. Next Sunday night has -10°Cs across much of the region.

Posted
1 minute ago, NickR said:

Radar says it should be moderate snow/sleet right now. Just had a look. Pretty much nothing falling from the sky whatsoever. Underwhelming.

I think you need a new hobby mate, this one seems to just upset you.

It was never going to be heavy snow around this time, I've had 8pm as my time for Teesside for a realistic change from rain to snow, so probably 7pm for low lying parts of Durham/Wearside.

Looking at the latest charts though I'd possibly delay that by an hour or two.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east
11 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Agreed Sunday looks like a more light snow shower day but perhaps some heavier stuff at the back end of the front clearing south. Monday and Tuesday look very convective would expect some heavy snow showers both days. 

As for the BBCs forecasts there not worth anyone’s time anymore last weeks forecast for the week ahead had us under a warm southwesterly flow today from one rouge ECM run. 

Aye the beeb went down massively when they binned the contract with the met office, think they use meteo group now, also the graphics have been horrendous for years , loved my days as ceefax kid with snow graphics , brilliant 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Smoggieontour said:

I think you need a new hobby mate, this one seems to just upset you.

It was never going to be heavy snow around this time, I've had 8pm as my time for Teesside for a realistic change from rain to snow, so probably 7pm for low lying parts of Durham/Wearside.

Looking at the latest charts though I'd possibly delay that by an hour or two.

Eh? Not upset. Just reporting what conditions are like. Where do you read upset in that post? GFS and others had snow for several hours now. Hence: underwhelming. No need for that dig.

• Like 1

Posted

I am still thinking another couple of hours of this driving rain and sleet but after that the fun starts.

Stick with it all, it has to be coming.

Posted
4 minutes ago, NickR said:

Eh? Not upset. Just reporting what conditions are like. Where do you read upset in that post? GFS and others had snow for several hours now. Hence: underwhelming. No need for that dig.

Not expecting snow here until after midnight here 

Posted

Starting to accumulate and pretty heavy now, as a sort of extended shower piles up against higher ground on radar

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NickR said:

Every post of yours is negative, either complaining that EA/SE are going to get more snow than us, or it's not snowing yet here. None of the charts were showing snow this afternoon, except for the highest ground. Everything is more or less as expected so far, except a slight delay of a couple of hours.

• Like 4

Posted
2 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Not expecting snow here until after midnight here 

OK, but the GFS has - including in the 12z had snow from 4pm here. And the radar in a now-cast says Yes/sleet. Just a bit weird there's bugger all! :D

Posted
3 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

Every post of yours is negative, either complaining that EA/SE are going to get more snow than us, or it's not snowing yet here. None of the charts were showing snow this afternoon, except for the highest ground. Everything is more or less as expected so far, except a slight delay of a couple of hours.

That's simply not true. GFS has been showing snow across the region (E) at this time for days now.

Also: yeah, I've had negative posts (guess what - I've had a sh.tty week and sometimes it comes out that way), but that wasn't one of them.

Edited by NickR
  • Like 2