Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
Just now, Phil Blake said:

What is the record for an arctic high? 

“1083.8mb

The highest barometric pressure ever recorded was 1083.8mb (32 in) at Agata, Siberia, Russia (alt. 262m or 862ft) on 31 December 1968. This pressure corresponds to being at an altitude of nearly 600 m (2,000 ft) below sea level!”

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
4 minutes ago, Phil Blake said:

I see a the mad thread is descending into chaos with the gfs run lol. 

Yeah it’s quite funny 3 days ago the GFS didn’t have a clue it obviously can’t handle negative AO situations very well but some still cling to it . UKMO has been rock solid all the way though that’s the model to follow along with the ECM now it’s smelt the coffee 

• Like 3

Posted

I'm thinking I'll use this thread for the next week or so now. The model discussion thread has now turned into the south discussion thread of will it won't it snow. It's awful reading

Anyways things are looking up for us in the regards of entrenched cold over the next 7 days.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!
3 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

I'm thinking I'll use this thread for the next week or so now. The model discussion thread has now turned into the south discussion thread of will it won't it snow. It's awful reading

Anyways things are looking up for us in the regards of entrenched cold over the next 7 days.

Couldn't agree more mate..... I prefer my " Family " up here to those moaning sods down there. Even if we were to get zilch AGAIN in Teesside, I would much prefer our mates up the A19, the a66 and across to Consett to get a good showing of some memorable weather

Edited by Fairweather Teessider
  • Like 3

Posted

So whats the latest on snow for the NE?

Keeping a eye on the output thread but full of all the southerners twisting on and anything real and constructive just isnt being posted.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Fairweather Teessider said:

Couldn't agree more mate..... I prefer my " Family " up here to those moaning sods down there. 

Its that bad I'm praying for that low to come a 100 miles north so it gives them 0 degree uppers to shut them up

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
  • Location: South Shields Tyne & Wear half mile from the coast.
20 minutes ago, Polarwesterly said:

“1083.8mb

The highest barometric pressure ever recorded was 1083.8mb (32 in) at Agata, Siberia, Russia (alt. 262m or 862ft) on 31 December 1968. This pressure corresponds to being at an altitude of nearly 600 m (2,000 ft) below sea level!”

This has probably been broken last year with a recorded pressure at Tsetsen-Uul, Mongolia at 1094.3 mb.

record-extratropical-storm-bomb-cyclone-
WWW.SEVERE-WEATHER.EU

Final 2020 extratropical storm set a new North Pacific low-pressure record of 921 mbar. A day earlier, a new world record was set in Mongolia, 1094 mbar!

Edited by NL
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, AdrianHull said:

That thread should be retitled South East England model output discussion, its getting worse in that regard, post anything pointing that out and it will be removed, biased as hell.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
Just now, Steady Easterly said:

That thread should be retitled South East England model output discussion, its getting worse in that regard, post anything pointing that out and it will be removed, biased as hell.

I had a post written out last night saying exactly that, then decided against it at the last minute. You just get "you've had all your snow". Don't think they realise that not everyone up here lives on a hill 200m above sea level

• Like 3

Posted
4 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Keeping a eye on the output thread but full of all the southerners twisting on and anything real and constructive just isnt being posted.

I'm expecting a lot of convection especially with the temperature difference from uppers to sea temperature. Very promising and I wouldn't take any notice of the snow amount charts as they don't model convection accurately. Fingers crossed Chris

Posted

Almost there now less than 48 hours away - The final countdown to proper winter - 

• Like 3

Posted
6 minutes ago, North East Blizzard said:

I had a post written out last night saying exactly that, then decided against it at the last minute. You just get "you've had all your snow". Don't think they realise that not everyone up here lives on a hill 200m above sea level

Yeah waste of time pointing out the truth bud, it will be gone in a key click.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Hi res models will start to come in to range tomorrow which will give us a better idea of convection. Until then don't look at any snow charts and make sure your local lamp post is working.

Edited by garylaverick
  • Like 1

Posted

Yeah, I spied the snow charts were showing very little for us, yet them kids down in the corner getting loads.

One thing I seen with the streamers off the coast though is it largely depends on the angle of them, and a lot of them can work out very marginal across the region.  Fingers crossed for heavy frequent snow showers across the whole region

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, snow and more snow, beast from the east

Actually looking forward to finally getting snow at the coast ..........hopefully 

Posted
12 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

Almost there now less than 48 hours away - The final countdown to proper winter - 

Is there still a chance that this all goes horribly wrong like that famous failed easterly a couple of years ago or are we too far down the line now? 

Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Yeah, I spied the snow charts were showing very little for us, yet them kids down in the corner getting loads.

One thing I seen with the streamers off the coast though is it largely depends on the angle of them, and a lot of them can work out very marginal across the region.  Fingers crossed for heavy frequent snow showers across the whole region

I'd much rather have a small amount of snow but the spectacular fine dry stuff that drifts about in even moderate wind with temperature around freezing.
Like this

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
40 minutes ago, Chris. said:

Lots of it!!

Posted
27 minutes ago, Snowmaggedon said:

Is there still a chance that this all goes horribly wrong like that famous failed easterly a couple of years ago or are we too far down the line now? 

Hope not - I just follow the models, forums etc I'm no expert, but I am 95% confident IMBY that I will see proper lying snow by the end of this weekend

Posted

I never go in the MOD thread. I spend most of my time on TWO, but when winter conditions arise I prefer my NE family: we're all focused on the same thing.

What's the ECM look like for us?

• Like 1