Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, Snow, Storms, Snow Thunder, Supercells, all weather extremes
4 minutes ago, Continental Climate said:

I'm really looking forward to this event but if I could be a bit nit picky I would wish for slightly lower uppers just to beef up those showers. We are currently forecast to get down to around -10/11,which is excellent but how great would it be if we had a true beast with -16/17 uppers. We have -25 uppers over Western Russia currently just need to advect that westward. 

My concern after looking at the fax charts is the flow, we could be protected by the NY moors I've seen that plenty of times. You can see it when looking at the snow cover charts aswell, hope I am wrong 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
6 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Nothing reminds me more of a freezing cold North East wind on a night where the moon lit sky shows all the bubbling snow clouds out to sea. 

Sit back and enjoy, this might be mine and Teesside's time for snow. 

Exactly sit back and enjoy

Checklist 

Local lamppost working Check 

Blinds in optimum position for viewing Check 

Wife’s head battered with me banging on about snow Big Check 

Kids informed and excited Check 

Bring it on 

• Like 7

Posted
2 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

My concern after looking at the fax charts is the flow, we could be protected by the NY moors I've seen that plenty of times. You can see it when looking at the snow cover charts aswell, hope I am wrong 

The wind flow is NE or ENE, so this is not an issue, if it was ESE or SE then yes.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy convective snow showers, blizzards, 30C sunshine
2 minutes ago, Boro Snow said:

Yes you are right darlington is certainly not the best spot in the NE for snow depth. I will be happy with 4-5 inches I suppose. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!

Icon isn't great at predicting snow showers moving inland, and has this by 7am Tuesday. We are in a good place

iconeu_uk1-45-120-0.png

Edited by North East Blizzard

Posted
8 minutes ago, seabreeze86 said:

Checklist 

Bring it on 

Haha

Warning your family "Don't go anywhere this weekend mind" Check

"we are in lockdown so can't anyway" Check

• Like 2

Posted

All looking good.

The models will be underdoing PPN amounts from shower activity and we still don't know exactly where troughs etc. will form.

Yes, EA and SE England may get more than us on Sunday from that front, however for the most part this precipitation won't be overly heavy. We want this front as far away as possible as it is not going to hit us, but will stop shower activity just to the north of it (e.g. Lincolnshire on Sunday morning)

Monday is looking increasingly like the snowiest day now. The snow potential seems to keep extending and we should be seeing snow showers on and off from Saturday evening - Thursday.

Relax everyone, it's going to work out fine for all of us.

Posted
31 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Which low are we are talking about, the current one which is heading through the region on Saturday? Further south and this should aid even more convection, so not sure what the concern is.. also less milder mixing.. more of a longer draw from the east rather than SE.

Think of the outlook as a thundery showery one in the summer  when predicting where the showers pop up is futile.

I think you are right, we have been let down so many times before that we have all become extra careful ...

Posted
8 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

All looking good.

The models will be underdoing PPN amounts from shower activity and we still don't know exactly where troughs etc. will form.

Yes, EA and SE England may get more than us on Sunday from that front, however for the most part this precipitation won't be overly heavy. We want this front as far away as possible as it is not going to hit us, but will stop shower activity just to the north of it (e.g. Lincolnshire on Sunday morning)

Monday is looking increasingly like the snowiest day now. The snow potential seems to keep extending and we should be seeing snow showers on and off from Saturday evening - Thursday.

Exactly this

• Thanks 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Smoggieontour said:

All looking good.

Great to hear mate. Booked the Monday off work so I’m hoping we are in for a treat! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
1 hour ago, Continental Climate said:

Our snow in the NE will come mainly from snow showers and not organised fronts like it will down south. This may be frustrating for some but personally I love radar watching and being on here reading and giving commentary. I'm at work until 7.40pm on saturday in Middlesbrough then have a commute to darlington hopefully the snow holds off until I get back home. 

Yeah I'm at work in Durham city until 8pm. It's all uphill getting out of the city

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Yellow warning for snow and ice issued from 3pm Saturday until 23:59 Monday

Cold conditions will persist through the weekend and into the following week with some disruption from snow and ice possible

What to expect

• There is a small chance of travel delays on roads with some stranded vehicles and passengers, along with delayed or cancelled rail and air travel
  • There is a small chance that power cuts will occur and other services, such as mobile phone coverage, may be affected
  • There is a slight chance that some rural communities could become cut off
  • A small chance that untreated pavements and cycle paths become impassable

Cold air will spread across the UK during the weekend with wintry showers likely to push inland into parts of England from the North Sea. This is likely to bring areas of accumulating snow through the period with some icy stretches developing. At this stage no single area can be highlighted as more at risk but given the coldness of the air disruption is possible at times.

• Darlington
  • Durham
  • Gateshead
  • Hartlepool
  • Middlesbrough
  • Newcastle upon Tyne
  • North Tyneside
  • Northumberland
  • Redcar and Cleveland
  • South Tyneside
  • Stockton-on-Tees
  • Sunderland

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-02-08&id=74f9b538-2cfc-43a6-b024-d45f243c33a0&details

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, cold or extreme heat!
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

Checklist 

Bring it on 

Seabreeze, I'll meet you at New Marske woods for a sledge and snowball fight!!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, seabreeze86 said:

Checklist 

Bring it on 

A quote from my missus, “get off your bloody phone!”

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold in winter, dry in summer.

Looking forward to seeing all our snow from Sunday onwards. Hexham is funny for snow - sometimes we are "protected" (in a bad way) by hills north and south but if the wind direction is E or ENE the showers just run up the Tyne Valley and we get it. Looking forward to it.

Edited by John in the frozen north

Posted

Only light snow showers from the met office warning for Monday  at the minute ,hopefully might increase the amounts they are currently suggesting as 1-4 cm doesn’t seem much

Edited by jason6347

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter cold,snow and frost. Summer hot and thundery
4 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Only light snow showers from the met office warning for Monday  at the minute ,hopefully might increase the amounts they are currently suggesting as 1-4 cm doesn’t seem much

They will issue a amber warning after it’s been snowing for 12 hours already as usual 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Atlantic Storms, Snow, Snow and more Snow!!
7 minutes ago, jason6347 said:

Personally i think thats just a general warning for a large area, I'd expect more local warnings as we get closer. I'd be amazed if we only see light showers with such synoptics. 

• Like 2

Posted

Wouldn’t bother getting too pegged down on MO forecast from what I know in these types of situations it’s very hard to forecast snow until the time itself! Of course some places will do better than others but we are in the best side of the country for this cold spell! 

Edited by Snowmaggedon
  • Like 3

Posted

Always surprises me why the met office draw a fine line straight through the Pennines..  expecting the warning to extend westward to cover East Cumbria at least. These set ups see snow easily make it over the Pennines, just like westerlies move showers into NE England. I would not get too hung up on the details..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms
6 minutes ago, Polarwesterly said:

From past experiences the places north of the north York moors always fare better than to the south. Never worked that out yet

Longer sea track