Far north and northeast of England weather discussion

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Cloud cover increasing, cold but nothing else to report

Nunthorpe

beautifully elevated above Middlesbrough 

Posted
18 minutes ago, gazzac69 said:

MET Office amber warning for  snow issued for NE England!!!

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-01-13&id=3b952f5a-a65d-47ef-9736-214fb21d5458&details

Issued: 10:24 (UTC) on Wed 13 Jan 2021

Rain will turn to snow across Scotland on Wednesday afternoon and evening, initially on high ground, but increasingly to lower levels. During Wednesday evening and night the risk of snow will extend southwards into more of northern England. 10 to 20 cm snow is likely to accumulate above 200 metres with greater amounts at higher elevations. Amounts at low levels (below 100 metres) are less certain, but 5 to 10 cm is likely in some places by Thursday morning. Snow will persist into Thursday morning, slowly dying out during the afternoon.

• Like 1

Posted

Hello guys not postsed in a while but have been lurking over the past couple of weeks so thought it was time to make a come back. Hoping for a surprise or two today here in low lying Middlesbrough! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 70 degree's in the summer, snow in the winter

Very fine polystyrene type ball snow (Graupel) starting to fall

it was that fine I could’nt see it when I let a cold cat on but only hear it falling on the leaves

Edited by smogonthetyne

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Front making inroads. The sunshine here has now giveaway to alot of cloud. Feels very cold out there

Screenshot_20210113-113825.png

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

Sleety rain now, at the 100m contour.

Expected really, i cant see how lower ground will do well out of this. Met saying 2-5cm i would be over moon with that as expecting nothing... again. 

Posted

Although I live at the 100m contour, I'm right next to a hill that goes up to 220m - so I can often measure the snow line by how far up the bank the green fields turn to white :). The opposite side of the valley is higher, but I can't see that from here - and usually in these marginal conditions, it's in the cloud anyway.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris Smith said:

Although I live at the 100m contour, I'm right next to a hill that goes up to 220m - so I can often measure the snow line by how far up the bank the green fields turn to white :). The opposite side of the valley is higher, but I can't see that from here - and usually in these marginal conditions, it's in the cloud anyway.

Although that sounds lovely it must be incredibly frustrating lol. 

Posted
1 minute ago, NorthEastSnow said:

Although that sounds lovely it must be incredibly frustrating lol. 

Best of both worlds - I get to move about easily down here, and if I want a snow-fix, I just walk up the hill! If I'm feeling intrepid, I'll stick the studded tyres on the mountain bike and ride up to Tow Law or Consett.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Cloud 10 said:

https://www.metoffice.gov.uk/weather/warnings-and-advice/uk-warnings#?date=2021-01-13&id=3b952f5a-a65d-47ef-9736-214fb21d5458&details

Issued: 10:24 (UTC) on Wed 13 Jan 2021

Rain will turn to snow across Scotland on Wednesday afternoon and evening, initially on high ground, but increasingly to lower levels. During Wednesday evening and night the risk of snow will extend southwards into more of northern England. 10 to 20 cm snow is likely to accumulate above 200 metres with greater amounts at higher elevations. Amounts at low levels (below 100 metres) are less certain, but 5 to 10 cm is likely in some places by Thursday morning. Snow will persist into Thursday morning, slowly dying out during the afternoon.

Out of interest how high is Stanley?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow in the winter. Warmth in the summer
3 minutes ago, Bridgeport Harrison said:

Out of interest how high is Stanley?

217 mtrs

Posted
17 minutes ago, Mick Ormiston said:

217 mtrs

yeah that sounds about right. I'm in Whickham, just down from Stanley, but i'm near the top. Whickham forecast is at 140m whereas I am at 170/175 so I tend to take an average of Whickham and Stanley forecasts. 

Fingers crossed for tonight

Posted

Update from the 100m contour; been for the lunchtime lockdown walk.

I guess it's what my mum would have called "Frozen rain" as opposed to "Freezing rain". Is there a size limit to graupel? If not, then it's that - but some of the "stones" are quite large. Anyway - they look like frozen raindrops. It's settling, because last night's frost never left the ground.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snow and thunderstorms :)

So what has everyone had so far today.

Just cold and cloudy where i am at work (Sunderland area currently)

Will be heading home soon and noticed precipitation over that way but weather station has recorded rainfall, so not promising lol

Posted
39 minutes ago, NorthEastSnow said:

lots of fine graupel here now. is that a good sign or bad lol.

The way I see that NES is that the graupel will form the base layer for you before the gloss arrives later today. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, doctor32 said:

So what has everyone had so far today.

Just cold and cloudy where i am at work (Sunderland area currently)

Will be heading home soon and noticed precipitation over that way but weather station has recorded rainfall, so not promising lol

Something white is starting to fall out of the sky here not sure whether it’s snow or hail. 

Posted
21 minutes ago, Gizzy said:

The way I see that NES is that the graupel will form the base layer for you before the gloss arrives later today. 

True... but at the moment it seems to be melting straight away. Good news in the fact its not all rain yet so hopefully a good sign of whats to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, heat, storms

Still nowt here in Chester le street. Although the sky is looking full now. Very dull. 

Posted

Looking at the radar and the models, I think it'll be a dud for anywhere without 150m or more. The heaviest ppn is also avoiding us. The more southern Pennines looked favoured right now.