Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Snowing here, albeit wet, putting slushy covering on car (a few miles West of M6...)

• Like 3

Posted

Just had this email from my Son's High School.........

My attention has just been drawn to the weather forecast for Ashton-in-Makerfield for tonight and tomorrow.  In brief, it is going to snow all night and all tomorrow morning and there is a Met Office yellow warning in place for ice and snow.  To avoid unnecessary risks, I am therefore making the decision now that the school will be closed tomorrow.  Please check the school website over the weekend regarding opening on Monday, however, be assured that every attempt will be made to do so. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme!
23 minutes ago, Rush2112 said:

Really fine snow here in Macc, not full flakes and not the hard graupel type either.

Snizzle  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Sleety rain here in Walton 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

More and more flakes appearing now  and  big splodges of rain which are retaining the shape of the flakes higher up so it may turn soon.

my girlfriend just walked back from Hunts Cross station which is about 3/4 of a mile to my west and she  noticed a change from 100% rain at the station to the mix I have here.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
7 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Nice to see the snow following the M6 contour line at Holmes Chapel 

Screenshot_20210107-173817_Chrome.jpg

Certainly isn’t nice to see for those to the west of it. It’s wrong anyway. Wintry in Runcorn. 

• Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, Thunder Snow said:

Looks like the band moving in from the east is just going to miss me typical 

It might pep up a bit on the western flank, would not rule anything out just yet. 

The North East and especially Yorkshire is definately the place to be i fancy. 

Euro4 precip outlook shows a healthy rain shadow & 10-15mm on the eastern slopes = 10-15cm of snow. 2-7cm for most of the Peaks.

Further west highly variable, the snow like in E Manchester and Cheshire close to 110m below this patchy coverings, west of the Airport EGCC snow accumulation following the same principle perhaps a little more precip around the Wigan, Warrington longitude producing temporary wet snow. 

euro4_uk1-25-26-0.png

euro4_uk1-45-25-0.png

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Certainly isn’t nice to see for those to the west of it. It’s wrong anyway. Wintry in Runcorn. 

Yes, you are correct. The precip model is picking up on correct data though, so east is still best. Just that the snow threshold is too high. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kendo469 said:

Just had this email from my Son's High School.........

My attention has just been drawn to the weather forecast for Ashton-in-Makerfield for tonight and tomorrow.  In brief, it is going to snow all night and all tomorrow morning and there is a Met Office yellow warning in place for ice and snow.  To avoid unnecessary risks, I am therefore making the decision now that the school will be closed tomorrow.  Please check the school website over the weekend regarding opening on Monday, however, be assured that every attempt will be made to do so. 

A result of these inaccurate symbol forecasts.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Yes, you are correct. The precip model is picking up on correct data though, so east is still best. Just that the snow threshold is too high. 

Haha east is always best so you’ve gone for the safest bet there. The euro4 is awful. I find it to be the most unreliable high resolution model. 

3 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Haha east is always best so you’ve gone for the safest bet there. The euro4 is awful. I find it to be the most unreliable high resolution model. 

Patchy coverings of up to 2cm locally for low lying areas over 5 miles inland imo. For streamers it's ok, Arome / Harmonie better with troughs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
9 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

Euro4 precip outlook shows a healthy rain shadow & 10-15mm on the eastern slopes = 10-15cm of snow. 2-7cm for most of the Peaks.

Further west highly variable, the snow like in E Manchester and Cheshire close to 110m below this patchy coverings, west of the Airport EGCC snow accumulation following the same principle perhaps a little more precip around the Wigan, Warrington longitude producing temporary wet snow. 

euro4_uk1-25-26-0.png

euro4_uk1-45-25-0.png

Typical.. bloody Mcr shadow lol. Not really complaining though as had 2 days felling snow here in Costa del Sale lol and a max of 6cm on the ground in 

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

It might pep up a bit on the western flank, would not rule anything out just yet. 

The North East and especially Yorkshire is definately the place to be i fancy. 

I bloody hope so lol might had light snow all day a good dusting so can't moan

Posted

I have a question: How does precipitation type on the radar actually work? All through this it's only ever shown rain on sleet here - including when we got the 5cm a week or so ago (I've lost track of time with everything going on) Right now it's showing rain and sleet when the reality is a covering on all surfaces? (18:05 my photo time and we're 71 metres above sea level. )  I know the phone apps are nonsense but you'd think radar can be trusted because both seem to act on flawed data at times or maybe it's just not high res enough and my expectations are too high. Just seems to be wrong so much. Never give up hope those in the west and south of the region a lot of us have done well out of this spell and if this precipitation coming in later tonight comes in with an offshore flow some of us will get lucky.  

image.png

IMG_20210107_180358.thumb.jpg.cc57056898bd74e90b5086cbd9415110.jpg

Edited by Mark88
  • Like 1

Posted

0.0C. Sleety rain. Unbelievable. Even by NW England standards this is a joke. This cold spell has been a load of crap. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, Clod snowy Winters

Not stopped snowing since about 1500 but nothing stuck. All slushy mess

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

1.6°C, still sleet. Not good enough come on

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

Thaw.

Almost all the last weeks ice has gone.

Light drizzle here on the Fylde.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

Bbc weather for Walton lpool tomorrow. I hope so !!A3BBC45C-E629-4909-BC5F-A6290BA098F6.thumb.png.6a526e9a37dbc2706164aa1d9985eddf.png

• Like 2

Posted

Still very fine 'Snizzle', barely  covering the ground.   The other photo  I took earlier shows there's still plenty of snow lying on the hills west of Macc.

20210107_180920.jpg

20210107_135140.jpg

20210107_135105.jpg

• Like 8