Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Woke up to a slight dusting I think or could it be frost but it’s melting now as the sun is out

• Like 1

Posted

Same as a lot of people here, slight dusting from very light snow fall....very pretty falling. Seem to just appear on the radar too. After the first day or so of the easterly thaws, the air seems to have dried and cooled down as minimal melt the past few days. None in the usual spots (corners of gardens, parts of the estate with no sunlight etc.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Slight sugar dusting this morning. Nice bright day today.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

Weather warning issued for rain, sleet and snow later tomorrow into Friday.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warm and sunny, thunderstorms, frost, fog, snow, windstorms

What do we reckon for tomorrow/Friday then? Gfs still going for precipitation.

Posted

We are only in a warning for ice 

Snow is for NI and Scotland.

Hoping for a dusting again ...

And hoping this is starter before main course later in the month.

Hope day 10 is OK I been thinking about him

Lots of hope in there !

Edited by northwestsnow
  • Like 4

Posted

Sunny day here in hattersley, no snow overnight sadly. I have just seen a met office video on twitter about the snow tomorrow, it looks like it has a bit of a gap over greater Manchester like the last one did...

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like it has potential early Friday morning and looks to be a good set-up, but somehow think it will be the midlands and North Wales that will see the most benefit, seems to be the case lately.

Wchart.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
1 hour ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Looks like it has potential early Friday morning and looks to be a good set-up, but somehow think it will be the midlands and North Wales that will see the most benefit, seems to be the case lately.

Wchart.png

Hopefully get a dusting

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: snowy winters,warm summers and Storms

Potentially the coldest night coming up temperature Already at 0.9c so with clear skies -6c could well be achieved as for tomorrow's front all looks a bit meh to be honest I am sure @Kasim Awan will give us his thoughts although saying that the last decaying front gave 4cm here so you never know.

Just hoping the SSW has some effect last third of January in a good way.

C.S

• Like 2

Posted

I actually prefer the lovely crisp day we've had in the south of the region today to precipitation of any description. I've been able to get out on the bike and on foot and enjoyed a dose of vitamin D without having to resort to the bottle (of pills rather than alcohol!). The down side I think is going to come tonight and early tomorrow morning when temperatures well below freezing are expected.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cool & dry, with regular cold, snowy periods.

Cold & crisp is my ideal winter weather; I've been out today on the bike - mostly off road - but even the rural roads weren't too bad. My only caveat to that is getting a proper dumping of snow, as that can be fun cycling with knobbly tyres.

I want all or nothing......

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

I think the biggest issue with tomorrow's snow potential is not whether it is snow or rain, but how much is left of the front by the time it sinks this far South. I'm expecting a damp/drizzly affair in these parts. Metoffice not keen on anything significant as the text forecast mentions outbreaks of light rain, sleet or snow. Sounds like a couple of cm or so for higher ground maybe, but probably nothing of note at low level. Hope to be proved wrong of course.

• Like 2

Posted

Still had ice on the car windows at 1pm this afternoon in the shade but what wasn't scraped quickly melted in the sun, looking at the Met O post it looks like rain on the coast Maybe we'll get lucky though and get some snow

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheshire snow said:

Potentially the coldest night coming up temperature Already at 0.9c so with clear skies -6c could well be achieved as for tomorrow's front all looks a bit meh to be honest I am sure @Kasim Awan will give us his thoughts although saying that the last decaying front gave 4cm here so you never know.

Just hoping the SSW has some effect last third of January in a good way.

C.S

A weak feature with waves of convection producing 1-3cm locally early Friday. Waves mean some areas will miss out. Similar to the last event so marginal on the coastal strip.

Also watch Thursday evening for some potential showers into the Cheshire gap.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

-0.7°C here and dropping fast.

I was also thinking of a possible Cheshire gap streamer on Thursday night given the very low T500’s and thicknesses. Let’s see.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 3

Posted

Stunning winter's day here, blue skies, barely any wind, sunshine in spades. Thankfully not very icy, the ground is very dry after what is turning into a lengthy dry period for the Lake District, no substantial precipitation since Boxing Day.

Cold again, but a drier cold so under the sun and light winds it felt ok. Temperature has dropped significantly past hour, and a cold night in the offing. Had we some snow cover a very cold night would be on the cards.

Tomorrow is a forecasters headache, a slow moving frontal feature which looks like breaking up as it hits us, but could bring a bit of a snow cover, depending on how much precipitation is left. Parameters will be conducive for snow to low levels inland.

I'm a bit puzzled by some of the models for tomorrow night and into Friday, is the front expected to reinvigorate with a wave development as it moves further south.. seems unusual and rather odd.

As ever will be a case of nowcasting.

Whatever happens we have 3 further cold days ahead, before things become more average temp wise Sunday onwards, which will mean we will have endured probably our coldest fortnight since late Feb / early March 2018, and there won't have been many if any other colder ones prior to then since March 2013 I suspect, showing how devoid of cold weather our recent winters have been, especially given this spell hasn't been especially cold.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.

Uncertainty tomorrow for sure in regards to potential snow but I can't see anything particularly heavy. But it looks odds on to turn milder next week.

We can't really expect it to stay cold for the entire month though, even the historically coldest Winters had some mild spells. At least it will help save a bit on the gas bill. Hopefully it will turn colder again later in the month.

• Like 3

Posted
3 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Uncertainty tomorrow for sure in regards to potential snow but I can't see anything particularly heavy. But it looks odds on to turn milder next week.

We can't really expect it to stay cold for the entire month though, even the historically coldest Winters had some mild spells. At least it will help save a bit on the gas bill. Hopefully it will turn colder again later in the month.

Yes its rare for lengthy periods of cold weather without any incursion of mild, the likes of 62/63 and 78/79 quite exceptional, I'd add 09-10 to that list as well.

Possible comparable winters may be 08-09 and 12-13 these were episodic with alternating colder and milder periods, and both featured SSW events in January..

• Like 2

Posted

Still got some hope looking at the charts for early morning Friday and possibly again at mid day, still the more heavier stuff seems to be more south of us , heading towards west midlands , hoping for a slight change of course.

snowhope.png

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Still got some hope looking at the charts for early morning Friday and possibly again at mid day, still the more heavier stuff seems to be more south of us , heading towards west midlands , hoping for a slight change of course.

snowhope.png

ECM 12z

image.thumb.png.9aa92b02448b2ac5ede07cfb100bb99b.pngimage.thumb.png.f409d7563d66153dd223a05f01a98484.pngimage.thumb.png.dc50b8514b3431c50cc98d10719e031b.pngimage.thumb.png.8757dd51a3203029c66a53267c662b66.png

• Like 4