Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

-1.9C here

Good portions of the region have at least got something out of this current set-up than the disaster of that mid February set-up last year. 

CFSR_1_2020021112_2.png

On the face of it, that chart looks favourable for our region but it delivered next to nothing. Has anyone figured out why hardly any showers developed over the Irish sea? Really strange.

Is it simply because the wind was too strong? I think it was you who told me this showers are much more prevalent under a slack westerly. 

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Is it simply because the wind was too strong? I think it was you who told me this showers are much more prevalent under a slack westerly. 

I think I was referring to the wintriness? Recent set-ups, the showers seem to be more wintry/snowier when the wind had dropped/wasn't as strong.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
8 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

People on top of Rivington Pike today

AlQx6CP.jpgU00pGY3.jpg0qtlpBZ.jpg

Decent lens if that’s taken from Irlam

Posted
30 minutes ago, Rain Lady said:

I meant to add a summary snip of the record wet 2020 from the spreadsheet.  Figures in mm.  I kept the line showing the total rain since the start of 1969 !

1539665901_rainsnip2020.thumb.JPG.c08d20c6a5670736c350a5726c159a2d.JPG

Also the same data in chart form to the start of 2021. 

SW Bowland Chart 1968-2020 averages and 2020.pdf 42.88 kB · 3 downloads

Chart post failed ...  try this.  The drowned 2020 summer growing season stands out.

SW Bowland chart averages 1989-2020.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Can anyone recommend somewhere to take my little boy sledging today? Less than an hour away if possible. Unsure where still has safe, accessible snow as I’ve seen reports of a lot of melt below 300m. 

Posted
38 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Can anyone recommend somewhere to take my little boy sledging today? Less than an hour away if possible. Unsure where still has safe, accessible snow as I’ve seen reports of a lot of melt below 300m. 

Backtracks son; But dad I'm 28 years old, I have work to do!  

Backtrack; Shut up and get in the good dam car! 

• Like 1

Posted

Not much snow left now just patches in the shade,the snow was from the first we had about 5 days ago

Edited by carl1980

Posted

Since Boxing Day it's been very dry here, apart from the odd wintry flurry and the light snowfall overnight 30/31 Dec, nothing at all. Rare given how wet most recent winters have been, a long time since we had such a dry period at this time of year, probably comparable to end of 2008, start of early 2009 which was persistantly cold, lots of frost and sunshine. Not complaining because it has made for a lovely festive period, excellent weather for getting out and about, and we really do need the sun now more than ever, given current state of affairs. How much worse would things be, with day after day of gloom, rain and wind, as so often plagues us at this time of year.

Thinking ahead, I may revert to the far N England and NE thread, I looked back at the map showing the regions, and Cumbria belongs to that thread. Its always far more quiet in there than this thread. In some respects Cumbria probably deserves its own thread, as it is different to the NE, and often rest of the NW, but there would only be a handful of posters in it!

• Like 1

Posted

Gorgeous sunshine.  We deserve it.   Feels really warm if you can find shelter from the thin wind.   Snow still lying in shade and on the fells.  Picture taken just now looking towards Wolf Fell which is over 1500ft.

2021 Jan 3 1pm.jpg

• Like 4

Posted

Much milder today - from a NE wind of all things - it's thawing out the remaining snow and ice outside of shaded areas. Feels milder too out in the lovely sunshine. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
38 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Since Boxing Day it's been very dry here, apart from the odd wintry flurry and the light snowfall overnight 30/31 Dec, nothing at all. Rare given how wet most recent winters have been, a long time since we had such a dry period at this time of year, probably comparable to end of 2008, start of early 2009 which was persistantly cold, lots of frost and sunshine. Not complaining because it has made for a lovely festive period, excellent weather for getting out and about, and we really do need the sun now more than ever, given current state of affairs. How much worse would things be, with day after day of gloom, rain and wind, as so often plagues us at this time of year.

Thinking ahead, I may revert to the far N England and NE thread, I looked back at the map showing the regions, and Cumbria belongs to that thread. Its always far more quiet in there than this thread. In some respects Cumbria probably deserves its own thread, as it is different to the NE, and often rest of the NW, but there would only be a handful of posters in it!

Stay in here man

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

I think I was referring to the wintriness? Recent set-ups, the showers seem to be more wintry/snowier when the wind had dropped/wasn't as strong.

I remember that and we were all shocked at how inactive the irish sea was. Maybe it was down to the strength of the wind in some aspects as you have cloud left over from the showers over Northern Ireland and then by the time the clouds reform from any instability, it was too late and hitting the land. A slacker set up gives more time for shower clouds to set up.

I must say though, after experiencing north sea convective showers, its chalk and cheese really, the north sea showers are alot more organised, more frequent and obviously more proper snow showers which is no surprise as the air is more colder anyways. The Irish sea tends to offer 'popcorn' showers which are pretty small, no real organisation and too often alot of lower level cloud which means messy skies rather than a true sunshine and showers set up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
3 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

I remember that and we were all shocked at how inactive the irish sea was. Maybe it was down to the strength of the wind in some aspects as you have cloud left over from the showers over Northern Ireland and then by the time the clouds reform from any instability, it was too late and hitting the land. A slacker set up gives more time for shower clouds to set up.

I must say though, after experiencing north sea convective showers, its chalk and cheese really, the north sea showers are alot more organised, more frequent and obviously more proper snow showers which is no surprise as the air is more colder anyways. The Irish sea tends to offer 'popcorn' showers which are pretty small, no real organisation and too often alot of lower level cloud which means messy skies rather than a true sunshine and showers set up.

This is a bit of a generalisation regarding showers from the Irish Sea as there were several occasions when I lived East of Manchester that we received a few inches of snow from showers coming in from the Irish Sea which would organise/explode into life as they came across the land. Granted they may have been rain near the coast, but certainly not popcorn/unorganised in nature. This was always my favourite setup for seeing snow. If you go into the NE thread, they were reporting rain showers coming in off the North Sea yesterday evening so similar issues are also experienced on the other side in terms of seeing rain rather than snow as well. It all just depends on the synoptics at the time.

• Like 4

Posted

Thanks very much for this Rain Lady. Most interesting and informative. Last year's record figure is made all the more surprising by the lack of rainfall in April and May. I lived close to the Bowland Fells in 1998 and can confirm that it was a wet year, one of the three wettest in the pre-2000 period. Thanks again! 

Posted
4 hours ago, Backtrack said:

Yep, there’s milder air over us now which will explain a slight thaw during the night. Dew points east of Warrington are above freezing widely, which will also tie in to a thaw. Such a shame isn’t it. 

Chart below shows the 850’s for right now 

2AF6A261-4112-4FC2-A0D5-FB5C48AEB71F.thumb.png.34ef788ac5344a6a944b89165e024b53.png

Can I ask, what radar/app that is that you're using?

Posted

There isn’t enough precipitation making it over the Pennines to aid the temperature reduction and improve our chances.

Posted

Knew a thaw was incoming today got up at 8am to walk in the dawn light.  Won't post pics in here as I don't want to rub salt but they are on my Insta

https://www.instagram.com/benjaminstubbs/

Managed to catch the sunrise through the mist etc.

Was stunning, the mist/patchy fog actually helped keep the temps down as was misty till about 1:30pm so slowed melt down. Then the sun came out and it soon caught up.  #DripDripDrip

I think from tomorrow colder air is aloft so fingers crossed.

Edited by captaincroc
  • Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

People on top of Rivington Pike today

AlQx6CP.jpgU00pGY3.jpg0qtlpBZ.jpg

I went yesterday. It was ice hell. One person slipped and broke their arm. Full of trainer wearing chavs, leaving litter everywhere. 

Posted

Lookslike it’s snowing top of snake pass... orangey tinge to clouds... icy Graupel showers passing through here... 

just had look out bathroom window roof still has 2-3 inches on it... thawed in most other places out...