Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer: warm, humid, thundery. Winter: mild, stormy, some snow.
Just now, Backtrack said:

Even the lightest of PPN started as snow here. Costa Del Wirral at it again?

Seems so! Not surprised though. It's currently 2C with a dewpoint of 1C but the wind is bitter 

Posted
1 minute ago, jam2010 said:

is it a reasonable reason to move house based on snow? 

Was a genuine factor for me.  Wanted to be near Crewe but on a hill. I have no kids so no schools etc to think about so this place is perfect.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
2 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

Was a genuine factor for me.  Wanted to be near Crewe but on a hill. I have no kids so no schools etc to think about so this place is perfect.

Any houses for rent on your street?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Belting it down. Dew point must be dipping below 0C. Everywhere getting covered 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

light snow started again here, Big flakes ,0.9°C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
7 minutes ago, jam2010 said:

is it a reasonable reason to move house based on snow? 

Yes. One of the reasons I chose Edinburgh when transitioning from Master's to PhD was because I knew the Winters would be colder. Now that I'm here though I realise Birmingham wasn't half-bad in Winter!!

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I’d love to live in Buxton at some point in my life. 

Snow from all directions, a nice town, beautiful countryside with a rail line into Manchester.  

One day  

• Like 5

Posted
Just now, Relativistic said:

Yes. One of the reasons I chose Edinburgh when transitioning from Master's to PhD was because I knew the Winters would be colder. Now that I'm here though I realise Birmingham wasn't half-bad in Winter!!

I studied at Edinburgh, thankfully I was there in December 2010. Now that was incredible. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, CreweCold said:

Any houses for rent on your street?

Haha. They go really quick, as genuinely lovely street. Stunning views over Cheshire and SO much cheaper than Nantwich/Sandbach. I got this 3 bed terrace house with big long garden (and views) for £123,000 4 years ago. Barely would have got me 2 bed apartment in Nantwich/Sandbach haha....plus when it snows then it SNOWS. 

That last belt was off the scale for 40 mins. Reckon might get a tiny bit more but more concerned about temps being projected as above freezing.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

light snow started again here, Big flakes ,0.9°C.

Radar is looking ok for a bit. Might get a dusting out of it. Need skies to clear if no more PPN on offer later. What’re your thoughts?

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

Snow from all directions, a nice town, beautiful countryside with a rail line into Manchester.  

One day  

I reckon we should all do a lottery syndicate and when we win just buy a street up there.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Unseasonably cold weather (at all times of year), wind, and thunderstorms.
1 minute ago, Joe Bloggs said:

I studied at Edinburgh, thankfully I was there in December 2010. Now that was incredible. 

I'm infinitely jealous. I was in Essex at the time; it was an excellent month but it didn't have that truly Arctic feel that everywhere away from the south-east had -- a very dull month and rarely crisp and clear.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days
2 minutes ago, Backtrack said:

Radar is looking ok for a bit. Might get a dusting out of it. Need skies to clear if no more PPN on offer later. What’re your thoughts?

Yeah I agree.

Posted

Shower activity now further north in Northumberland, just need wind to become more of  NE flow, and preferably ENE and some of those showers may make it across the Pennines.

We've dodged so much snow opportunity this past week, apart from the cm overnight 30/31 Dec. Please can we have some!

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, captaincroc said:

I reckon we should all do a lottery syndicate and when we win just buy a street up there.

Most of the town is above 300m ASL, what a dream! The area near Poole’s Cavern is really nice. 

Posted
Just now, Joe Bloggs said:

Most of the town is above 300m ASL, what a dream! The area near Poole’s Cavern is really nice. 

I go to Goyt Valley in my campervan too, that is stunning....but would happily take Buxton!

• Like 1

Posted
8 minutes ago, Relativistic said:

I'm infinitely jealous. I was in Essex at the time; it was an excellent month but it didn't have that truly Arctic feel that everywhere away from the south-east had -- a very dull month and rarely crisp and clear.

If we get a proper, deep cold easterly then Edinburgh is a wonderful place to be. The showers move in off the North Sea and intensify as they reach the Forth estuary. So much snow. 

Edinburgh is a wonderful city regardless of the weather - enjoy.  I really miss it. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales
5 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Shower activity now further north in Northumberland, just need wind to become more of  NE flow, and preferably ENE and some of those showers may make it across the Pennines.

We've dodged so much snow opportunity this past week, apart from the cm overnight 30/31 Dec. Please can we have some!

The wrf nmm 2km shows some potential overnight and tomorrow morning, especially east and central cumbria.

Screenshot_20210102-173328_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-173248_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210102-173335_Chrome.jpg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
17 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

One day  

Given the opportunity I would move to Alston in the north Pennines which I think is a bit better for snow than even Buxton, I was considering it but I know the missus wouldn't want to move there even if I mithered her about it. Snow isn't worth ending your marriage over haha.

Check out the snow that they get up there, very decent.

• Like 8

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: LP - Horizontal Drizzle - Nice Blizzards

NE Flow looks promising but the N Pennines are having the usual soaking up effect.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

Little even getting this side of the A1 now so unless things change and a trough forms, I’d imagine that’s it for this snow event.

quite happy to be proved wrong though and open the curtains in the morning to another foot of snow

• Like 3