Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters

...looks like there shall be some ‘adage’ to my area today, still has snow remnants on frozen ground so anticipate a ‘top up’.......

30A98EAC-22B0-44D2-873A-F4B903640CB9.jpeg

157FEC27-BF68-4C90-8170-F97303736C7C.jpeg

FD447FAE-05B7-486C-A867-F32D08DA3109.png

D15C09C8-AE66-494F-9BFB-50391D4E5264.jpeg

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Hanny said:

...looks like there shall be some ‘adage’ to my area today, still has snow remnants on frozen ground so anticipate a ‘top up’.......

30A98EAC-22B0-44D2-873A-F4B903640CB9.jpeg

157FEC27-BF68-4C90-8170-F97303736C7C.jpeg

FD447FAE-05B7-486C-A867-F32D08DA3109.png

D15C09C8-AE66-494F-9BFB-50391D4E5264.jpeg

not found that accurate, 3 snow events I've had here, it's shown as mainly rain and sleet on weather type, mind not got NW extra?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not found that accurate, 3 snow events I've had here, it's shown as mainly rain and sleet on weather type, mind not got NW extra?

UKV last run is way off. It doesn't even show that current line of precipitation 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer

There looks to be a fair bit of intensity to the band crossing the Yorkshire Dales and the ones behind it and at the moment, the direction still has our name on it.

Hopefully this remains the same, I’m sure we’ll start to find out in the next couple of hours

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy winters, hot, sunny springs and summers.

Will be quite ironic if we get a covering today due to poor timing. All of the previous events/warnings have came mostly very early morning, meaning I have to set my alarm. Probably the best time of day for the PPN to come due to it being colder. Only the first two bouts of showers produced snow. The rest that came at that time produced rain. 

so this one is going to arrive during peak daytime temps. So I’d be surprised if we get anything. Temp only 0.6C though, so it is extremely cold outside. 

Posted
Just now, iand61 said:

There looks to be a fair bit of intensity to the band crossing the Yorkshire Dales and the ones behind it and at the moment, the direction still has our name on it.

Hopefully this remains the same, I’m sure we’ll start to find out in the next couple of hours

The problem is in the highlighted area. It’s feeding time and the Yorkshire Dales are hungry. I’m guessing it’s a weak front, so it might be ok. But it will weaken a lot in the next hour or so I’m guessing. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'
Just now, Backtrack said:

so this one is going to arrive during peak daytime temps. So I’d be surprised if we get anything. Temp only 0.6C though, so it is extremely cold outside. 

Exactly, but as said previously, this will be the coldest day this winter so far, so still good chances, currently 0.0c here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.

With its belated nowcast weather warning, I'm afraid that the MO has once more proved that it's a long way from being 'world beating'. Its forecasts are important to such as hill walkers, and this is really poor. Indeed, as Covid has exposed, our ability to deliver 'world beating' anything is more a fond illusion than a reality, and the MO is no exception. 

Clear skies here with a low of -5.6c aided by the persisting snow cover, easily the coldest night of the winter.

• Like 3

Posted
Just now, Backtrack said:

The problem is in the highlighted area. It’s feeding time and the Yorkshire Dales are hungry. I’m guessing it’s a weak front, so it might be ok. But it will weaken a lot in the next hour or so I’m guessing. 

ECM doesn't weaken this band too much

• Like 1

Most inland will see some snow with this, on the coast it will be mixed at times. It will likely hit Manchester at 2.30pm. About 1-3cm inland.

It will retain some intensity as it sinks into Lancashire however it may break up in places leading to some localizations. The 18z WRF once again nailed this taking a slightly different track last minute. Further North West. 

Edited by Kasim Awan
  • Like 5

Posted

Interesting that it's coming from the NE (lost track of how many times I've thought or said 'interesting' this week hah. I wonder if it'll be more powdery snow if or when it arrives. BBC app (I know) has heavy snow showers now -it had shown rain/sleet/light snow for the snow falls we've had which still have a frzoen covering here - albeit very diminished. 

2 minutes ago, Borei said:

With its belated nowcast weather warning, I'm afraid that the MO has once more proved that it's a long way from being 'world beating'. Its forecasts are important to such as hill walkers, and this is really poor. Indeed, as Covid has exposed, our ability to deliver 'world beating' anything is more a fond illusion than a reality, and the MO is no exception. 

Clear skies here with a low of -5.6c aided by the persisting snow cover, easily the coldest night of the winter.

I don't understand this post. I agree it was too late, or are you trying to suggest the set up today is too weak to warrant a warning, which I don't agree with?

Edited by Kasim Awan

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale

I am confident it will fall as snow here, but the question is how much it will weaken and fragment by the time it arrives, unless it is expected to maintain intensity?

Posted
7 minutes ago, Dexter said:

I am confident it will fall as snow here, but the question is how much it will weaken and fragment by the time it arrives, unless it is expected to maintain intensity?

Complete now cast, may intensify in some areas, may weaken a mile down the road, interesting day

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and cold.
13 minutes ago, Kasim Awan said:

I don't understand this post. I agree it was too late, or are you trying to suggest the set up today is too weak to warrant a warning, which I don't agree with?

Hi Kasim,

No, my point was totally that it was too late. For hill walkers, of which there are many at weekends in this region, decisions will often be made based on MO forecasts. Getting stuck on a hill in blizzard conditions can be a really serious situation and this is where timely warnings really matter. Putting one out at 10AM for an event due at 1PM is too late.  

As always, thanks for your really excellent interpretative contributions to this regional forum .

• Like 6

Posted
5 minutes ago, Dkeane3 said:

Complete now cast, may intensify in some areas, may weaken a mile down the road, interesting day

Yeah, interesting day for sure, and great to see repeated snow potential most days atm. Beats the mild, damp dross we normally expect in winter that's for sure. 

• Like 2

Posted

Now that the skies have cleared again, the temp has dropped to -0.8c!

Edited by Dkeane3
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, Dkeane3 said:

Now that the skies have cleared again, the temp has dropped to - 0.8c!

Now that’s weird at almost midday!!

Posted

Looks like the two bands of precipitation in the North/North East are beginning to merge together?

Posted

At current projection, the main bulk will miss. It needs to swing around. Guessing it’s gonna pivot at some point 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot summers, frosty autumns and snowy winters
37 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

... must admit that is been ‘lucky’ in terms of forecasted snow showers here, probably more to do with height and location but hey, if all fails then it’s back to the ‘snow dance’ routine.....

0BB08CC3-908A-47A4-8F87-67A16CFD535D.jpeg

Posted

-2c still and frozen solid out... snow from previous days with Graupel covering this morning still... lookslike this afternoon might be interesting... 

• Like 2

Posted

-2.5 with clear skies just before 7am.  Now 0.0 and cloudy.  Delivering my vulnerables shopping, then I can settle down to radar watching and nowcasting and eating chocolate.

• Like 3

Posted

BBC forecast recently changed to heavy snow showers this afternoon. Looks like what's pushing form the NE is actually intensify as it back builds over the moors/N Pennines. Maybe for once the Manchester snow shield will fail!!