Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, frosty nights, thunderstorms and the odd gale
7 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Charts posted in the mad thread show Sundays system much further north to the extent that we end up with rain and the snow reserved for the North Pennines and southern Scotland.

dare I say that we need a southerly correction

Which model is that?  The Mongolian Forecasting System I presume?

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Let’s get through this then watch the Easterly batter the entire East coast. Then the South when low pressure tries to bump up from France. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

Chill guys, it is what it is.

Our time will come (Dont ask me when) and when it does, we will get the mother of all dumpings.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
1 minute ago, Dexter said:

It certainly couldn’t have been one of the mad threads loyal charts as it didn’t show anything for darn darf 

On the subject, that place really is unreal at times.

a hour or so back someone from north of the M4 actually mentioned the amount of snow the Stoke area had over the last few days.

It obviously didn’t go down well with one southern based poster who said he thought he dropped into the Stoke regional thread by mistake.

richer than my mother in laws Christmas pud and the best belly chuckle I’ve have for a long while

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
2 minutes ago, Had Worse said:

Chill guys, it is what it is.

Our time will come (Dont ask me when) and when it does, we will get the mother of all dumpings.

It's extremely difficult when you get snow about once every couple of years though and when charts like below show up, like last week just as it's about to stick it says nah cya later!

Painful.

harmonieeur40-1-45-3.thumb.png.9ddc3664511da0a2959f52f8166c3b7d.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
19 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Could be worse, you could be this time last year about to face the wettest February on record by a landslide and a dead polar NWly 

And then the sunniest, driest spring for a gazzillion years which we could all enjoy without the slightest thought of anything stopping us.

how quickly that changed

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves

Thoroughly depressing this.. Tempted to give up on this winter.. Just totally uncanny how the rain gets us everytime and snow stops just before our region... And with an easterly now in the offing.. I despair. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Thoroughly depressing this.. Tempted to give up on this winter.. Just totally uncanny how the rain gets us everytime and snow stops just before our region... And with an easterly now in the offing.. I despair. 

What you on about? There was 5 or so inches of snow here a few weeks ago and snow on the ground for about 10-15 day with 3-4 separate snow events last week in December first two weeks in January. Anything we get after that is a bonus. 

Been a great January for this town. No huge dumping but not shabby at all. 

Edited by Frosty the Snowman
  • Like 1

Posted

Anyone ever used this Radar before, still shows a spell of Snow for South Cheshire, Southwards Sat Morn.

This would be good for Matt in Stoke, as I'm further North and gives me some.

Screenshot_20210128-165732_Weather&Radar.jpg

Posted
51 minutes ago, pip22 said:

On the bright side, some Midlands people probably gonna get fined for having snowball fights during lockdown.

While we are continuing being sensible here.

Having a grass cutting fight doesn't have the same effect does it

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

5 inches?.. Haven't seen 5 inches for years.. I want proper frontal snow not a few showers.. Feb 96 was the last proper decent snowfall here.. 25 years ago.

Posted
4 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

5 inches?.. Haven't seen 5 inches for years.. I want proper frontal snow not a few showers.. Feb 96 was the last proper decent snowfall here.. 25 years ago.

Are you still talking about the snow. 

What's your height above sea level? I can only assume you live at a much lower one, or the complete opposite end of town to me and managed to miss some of the heavier snowfalls recently.

Was somewhere between 4 and 5 inches anyway. 

Posted
1 minute ago, chicken soup said:

Same here tbf. Had a couple of 4inch events since then, but 96 was the last really dump for Stoke / Cheshire. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.

I guess it'll be open the curtains and see what happens

Edited by Manchester_Sunset
  • Like 1

Posted

Brownhill.. We have had a bit of snow yes..a few showers and the rain to snow event.. Its hardly being awe inspiring. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

The WRF 12Z no longer has the precip making Merseyside at all. Unless it corrects back by this time tomorrow then that is probably that.

Posted
14 minutes ago, chicken soup said:

Brownhill.. We have had a bit of snow yes..a few showers and the rain to snow event.. Its hardly being awe inspiring. 

This is weird, I'm not even a millions miles from you up near the town centre - 30-40m more elevation admittedly. I think I've just been lucky with the marginal and showery events then. That said there was reasonable snow in the park down at 100m asl a couple of times, bizzarre. 

It's not been historic snow, but there's been several days where it's snowed for hours and hours on end and as said once had a total of 4-5 inches here - including half thawed snow from the previous event on the grass admittedly. I found that 27 December to 10/12th January people remarkable in that there was some snow on the ground each day, which is unusual for this area.  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
27 minutes ago, Andypvfc said:

Anyone ever used this Radar before, still shows a spell of Snow for South Cheshire, Southwards Sat Morn.

This would be good for Matt in Stoke, as I'm further North and gives me some.

Screenshot_20210128-165732_Weather&Radar.jpg

Think it'll be similar to last Sunday we'll get some falling snow, a dusting to if we're lucky a few 1-3cm even  if the front reaches this far north south of Manchester but any proper accumalating snow more than a slight covering looks to be currently a Mid Staffs/ Shropshire southwards affair.  It'll be a painful radar watch kind of event again by the looks of things and if things carry on trending south it could well be just a Birmingham/ South Midlands affair. 

Edited by Joe Snow

Posted
5 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

This is weird, I'm not even a millions miles from you up near the town centre - 30-40m more elevation admittedly. I think I've just been lucky with the marginal and showery events then. That said there was reasonable snow in the park down at 100m asl a couple of times, bizzarre. 

It's not been historic snow, but there's been several days where it's snowed for hours and hours on end and as said once had a total of 4-5 inches here - including half thawed snow from the previous event on the grass admittedly. I found that 27 December to 10/12th January people remarkable in that there was some snow on the ground each day, which is unusual for this area.  

I think if your setting your expectations at 6 inches+ or say a foot of snow etc for it to be impressive you'll be disappointed. 

Down here in the city proper it has been most impressive . Can’t remember the last time in winter we had six separate snow events, I know Kev reckons best since 2009/2010.

Would be great if we could get a deep fall (10cm fall) before the winter is out but it wouldn’t surprise me that much if we’d had our lot. 

Just a thought - if we do suddenly get a 2013 setup with slider lows etc it will be Manc’s turn to miss out and then West Cheshire and Merseyside will be in the game. I’m hoping for a decent convective easterly or a Feb 96 type event - I don’t ask for much.

• Like 1

Posted
16 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

Can't recall snow for hours to be honest.. We had the rain to snow event which was good.. And 1 or 2 heavy showers.. That snow that hung around for 10 days or so was from one very heavy shower.... Anyway that's all in the past.. The fact remains that this weekend is looking like more frustration.. Tuesday next week holds a bit of hope but I'm not holding my breath.. Followed by a possible easterly and the pennines gobbling up the snow. 

Edited by chicken soup

Posted
12 minutes ago, Joe Snow said:

Think it'll be similar to last Sunday we'll get some falling snow, a dusting to if we're lucky a few 1-3cm even  if the front reaches this far north south of Manchester but any proper accumalating snow more than a slight covering looks to be currently a Mid Staffs/ Shropshire southwards affair.  It'll be a painful radar watch kind of event again by the looks of things and if things carry on trending south it could well be just a Birmingham/ South Midlands affair. 

I think the Met are being rather bullish with the snow prospects, suspect conditions wont be conducive for low level snow, where is the cold air? A high ground event. I've noticed there forecasts seem to over estimate when likely to affect more populous parts such as Birmingham or London compared to those likely to affect more rural northern parts. 

• Like 2