Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: heavy snow/ heatwaves
1 hour ago, Slidergate '17 said:

One thing I do fear about Sunday is that front having a more southerly track than some models show, could still miss the NW completely..

Yes.. this is my fear aswell.. These type of systems always seem to go south the closer we get and end up missing us.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms

As well as Saturday morning, Saturday afternoon looks an upgrade too.

viewimage_pbx.thumb.png.b8372ccbb02ed814e76c76e5ec820313.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, Snow, Winter, Summer storms after a 'heatwave'

Met Office doesn't seem interested in any snow for our region for Sunday/Sunday night, remaining dry

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

This is really reminded me a lot of 30th January 2019 but with greater longevity and slightly colder air. It’s even got the southerly tracking low the day after as well like now but on that occasion it missed us to the south so could do again.

Posted
50 minutes ago, russwirral said:

its very rare in Wirral when we get a North westerly that we actually see snow.  its most likely going to be Graupal.  Saying that - usually if a beefier shower turns up - we might be in look as the air modifys during the shower.  

Alot of people talk of how lucky we are to be in the north west with its north west and moisture laden winds in the winter.. but often they are a curse that offers nothing more than icey windows on the car and icy roads.  Chester and further in land usually get the heavy snow we are expect.

Fingers crossed for something a bit different this time, but its doubtful.  I think snow from a northwesterly is perhaps a 1 in 15 occurances event in my experience.

From my 5 years experience of living down here, I have not had lying snow from a convective NW'ly flow and snow tends to get recorded if we have uppers of - 7 or below. 

Also the convection of the Irish Sea vs the North Sea is chalk and cheese, Irish sea tends to be more disorganised in shower distribution(I like to call them popcorn showers as they pop around all the place and are quite small) and actually showers seem to intensify more as they head further inland, the North Sea has big beefy showers heading straight in and tend to be alot more organised. 

Even looking at the models, it does not suggest there will be widespread shower activity but we shall see what the radar will produce. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Here’s a trip down memory lane.

should be a bit better than this provided we get the precip.

Edited by Chris.R
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

My location has snow from 19.00 tommorow until 18.00 Sat on the Met Office website.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
14 minutes ago, pip22 said:

My location has snow from 19.00 tommorow until 18.00 Sat on the Met Office website.

I think @Chris.R is going to be again spot on with his predictions for tomorrow / wknd.. metoffice already as changed to sleet-snow from tomorrow eve here in Sale area.. can you do lotto numbers @Chris.R?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc
16 minutes ago, pip22 said:

Same, and looks to be more chance early hours Saturday

It'll be interesting to see what it brings  

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Geordiesnow said:

From my 5 years experience of living down here, I have not had lying snow from a convective NW'ly flow and snow tends to get recorded if we have uppers of - 7 or below. 

Also the convection of the Irish Sea vs the North Sea is chalk and cheese, Irish sea tends to be more disorganised in shower distribution(I like to call them popcorn showers as they pop around all the place and are quite small) and actually showers seem to intensify more as they head further inland, the North Sea has big beefy showers heading straight in and tend to be alot more organised. 

Even looking at the models, it does not suggest there will be widespread shower activity but we shall see what the radar will produce. 

This 

was the last time I saw proper snow from a northwesterly Dec 2017.

Before that was a good maybe 6 yrs?, maybe longer, I really cant recall anything from a NWerly

wa

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
34 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Here’s a trip down memory lane.

should be a bit better than this provided we get the precip.

Saturday - BANK!

654255587_Screenshot_2021-01-21CH456TQWeatherForecastforthenext7DaysNetweather.thumb.png.6414621ba70a51c96923c1b0259527ab.png

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All

My trusty trampoline has about an inch and a half, was 3 and a half last night.

Posted

Convection should intensify this evening with a peak around 23:00.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
Just now, Chris.R said:

Convection should intensify this evening with a peak around 23:00.

Another surprise tonight? 

Posted

It’s 2.8°C currently here, that’s about 1.5° below what was expected.

5.1°C at Crosby.

Posted
3 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

3 minutes ago, raul_sbd said:

I think it’s a bit too early for you probably just sleet and ice pellets except above 200 m tonight. Maybe they’ll be no showers at all of course convection is a fickle beast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold/snow winter, Warm/hot summer, Thunderstorms, Severe Gales

NW'lys are often dry here as we are sheltered by SW Scotland, the very south west of cumbria sometimes get clipped but the vast majority of the showers hit south of say Blackpool. We had a very cold NW'ly in 2009 i think which delivered 5cm in about 2 hours here and that was our lot whilst a streamer set up further south and the likes of blackpool and merseyside got 10-20cm i think. The south of the region is in a much more favourable position from a NW'ly than cumbria.

• Like 1

Posted

12z EURO4 snow accumulation. This is Saturday evening.

Quite a strong snow signal for many parts of the region , especially Manchester. Most of this seems to fall Friday night into early Saturday.

Very interesting - I think this model is fairly good at picking up shower and streamer potential. 
spacer.png

• Like 7

Posted

If we do get a streamer tomorrow night , whilst they are amazing to experience if you’re under them, they can be soooo frustrating if you’re not well placed. All depends on the wind direction - a NW’ly will push it further south towards Cheshire, a SW’ly will push it further north towards Lancs. I’d like a perfect westerly/WNW’ly vector please.  

I’ll leave that one to the experts. 

• Like 3

Posted
39 minutes ago, I Cumbria Marra I said:

NW'lys are often dry here as we are sheltered by SW Scotland, the very south west of cumbria sometimes get clipped but the vast majority of the showers hit south of say Blackpool. We had a very cold NW'ly in 2009 i think which delivered 5cm in about 2 hours here and that was our lot whilst a streamer set up further south and the likes of blackpool and merseyside got 10-20cm i think. The south of the region is in a much more favourable position from a NW'ly than cumbria.

Winds are forecast to switch more westerly and even WSW'ly eventually when the coldest air arrives which seems to favour more our parts of the region. Still will be a tall order for us but we shall see especially if something more organised does arrive on Sunday.