Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

22 minutes ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

January most surely be one of the coldest and snowiest (total depth) months for quite a few years round here? 

yeh hasnt been the snowiest in our region, but it has been snowier than usual.  Id say as a winter so far its been the snowiest since probably 2010/11as a region.  Though Ive only seen a handful of dustings (dustings=< 1cm)

Incredibly for these parts -  I think weve been witness to the coldest and wettest winters for maybe 2 or 3 decades.  Weve had approx 30-40% more rainfall this year, and the temps have been very low.  I wonder if Feb will continue on that vein...

Edited by russwirral

Posted

Bursts of sleety rain with bits of snow and ice pellets - a description of wintry precipitation mixed in from time to time. Current temp 3 degrees.

A rather bleak winter day thankfully little wind.

A proper snow day even though it is very wet and slushy and melting off most surfaces.

Posted

Some nice views out to the hills this afternoon but a bit dicey underfoot with the thawing wet-snow, ice layer, mud, and grass. I almost ended up on my backside a few times despite having the winter boots on.

03.thumb.jpg.cd0ce0ccce01a654a0a429622c7da865.jpg08.thumb.jpg.078e82e09f772026aed17bdb838c16bb.jpg09.thumb.jpg.874682abae9dde662968bf480f65b6da.jpg11.thumb.jpg.9ab9b746a9eeff0cbf18bd49c412fb18.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowageddon and a new ice age. Then a summer long bbq heatwave!

Up late today. The couple of inches we had in the early hours has pretty much all melted away. That has been the story of this winter, a few cm here and there with rapid thaw.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
18 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

BBC said last night that it had been the coldest January in 10 years, so presumably since 2011.

Hellen Willets said the same last night but was referring to 2010.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy weather

It’s gone really dark here and just started raining 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, Miamay said:

image.thumb.png.025ff0c9af9ce31a11c91ccdebce5821.png Might be some heavy stuff, possibly with thunder.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
3 minutes ago, Miamay said:

Was just going to post that there are some pretty bright colours showing up on the radar heading out of North Wales and into our region.

not expecting anything more than plain old cold rain, even up here but if it’s heavy enough and coupled with snow melt this will be probably be enough to cause a few flooding problems.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
7 minutes ago, Miamay said:

Yep, here comes the heavy rain - Again!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
monthly_sunshine_2021-01_anomaly_1981-20
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

January, with an average temperature of 2.2 °C, has been the coldest January across the UK since 2010. In that year the average UK January temperature was 0.9 °C; the coldest January on...

• Like 1

Posted

Milder air didn't really race in like I thought it would after this morning's slushy fall... still only 2c but temps expected to increase a little as rain moves in from the south west.  Fingers crossed the beast is still lurking in the east, although I think it's been downgraded from Siberian Tiger to Felix the Cat.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

2B1084A5-A5E5-4D3E-89C8-D8D6C5B36E0F.thumb.png.13577354ef47ff8e045485320c133404.png

UKMO 144hrs 12z. 

If that low out West gets any closer and bumps up to the cold Easterly we could be in business. 

• Like 1

Posted
13 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:
monthly_sunshine_2021-01_anomaly_1981-20
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

January, with an average temperature of 2.2 °C, has been the coldest January across the UK since 2010. In that year the average UK January temperature was 0.9 °C; the coldest January on...

I read this earlier and find it hilarious, I can hardly recall a frost and as for snow....

Posted

If we get a setup something like shown, I can see snow getting across to the west.

overview_20210202_12_111.thumb.jpg.a1dccd9a1214036c65c6fd6c82e46ecf.jpg

Posted

Not to be taken too literally, but I cannot see it being dry. Strong East to North Easterly winds, showers merging into longer spells of snow and getting across the Pennines, lighter granted but still snow all the same.

Early Sunday morning.

1445021889_Sunday6am.thumb.png.faea08871061bc10278c44a47c0a9d63.png627025392_Sunday6ama.thumb.png.c2f1b4e7b880aba5fc1f0242cbffb626.png

Feet still firmly on the ground this time though as it's still too far out, and this is just going off the GFS.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Not to be taken too literally, but I cannot see it being dry. Strong East to North Easterly winds, showers merging into longer spells of snow and getting across the Pennines, lighter granted but still snow all the same.

Early Sunday morning.

1445021889_Sunday6am.thumb.png.faea08871061bc10278c44a47c0a9d63.png627025392_Sunday6ama.thumb.png.c2f1b4e7b880aba5fc1f0242cbffb626.png

Feet still firmly on the ground this time though as it's still too far out, and this is just going off the GFS.

With low pressure that close, it might actually be some frontal PPN on that chart so in one way for our region, the GFS scenario wont be a bad one

I'm so mixed feeling about it because the GFS is high risk but perhaps high reward whilst if we get a convective easterly, it's likely to be much drier but at least the cold air is way more established then.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

image.thumb.png.ab557c4360c6f9d1e4980fc29253019c.png

image.thumb.png.96dfb551a7f9fb95a2a8203e7572bf18.png

We'll see what happens. 

Better than mild SWlies I guess. 

It will take a serious trough or low pressure system to dump M6 area. 

Hilarious the GFS is giving the SE rain. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, icy, snowy etc

4°C and lashing it down here