Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

Glossop is definitely not east Midlands. I go through there from Manchester to Sheffield. 

Administratively Derbyshire is a Midlands county, an East Midlands one to be precise. That's how government departments and agencies classify it.

Culturally, it's more complicated. Derby and the southern areas of the county, south of county town Matlock are very much part of the industrial Midlands.

Go to Chesterfield and north east Derbyshire, however, and you're in the Sheffield sphere of influence and that's the north. Go to north west Derbyshire and Buxton and especially Glossop and you're in the Manchester sphere of influence. Again that's the north.

Go up to Crowden camping site and you're as far north as Manchester and not far from the West Yorkshire boundary. Even Matlock is an hour's drive and Derby seems like it's in another region.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow.
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

Administratively Derbyshire is a Midlands county, an East Midlands one to be precise. That's how government departments and agencies classify it.

Culturally, it's more complicated. Derby and the southern areas of the county, south of county town Matlock are very much part of the industrial Midlands.

Go to Chesterfield and north east Derbyshire, however, and you're in the Sheffield sphere of influence and that's the north. Go to north west Derbyshire and Buxton and especially Glossop and you're in the Manchester sphere of influence. Again that's the north.

Go up to Crowden camping site and you're as far north as Manchester and not far from the West Yorkshire boundary. Even Matlock is an hour's drive and Derby seems like it's in another region.

Haha yes it's Derbyshire. Glossop is just in the middle of Yorkshire and Lancashire wanting to cause confusion  

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, Chris.R said:

Interesting. 91 is not bad from an Easterly.

I don’t remember March 2005 though. I remember a snowfall in February 2006 which gave a few inches, (enough to build a snowman anyway) and then turned to rain.

God, you were 11 years old, how time flies.

Posted
1 minute ago, Manchester_Sunset said:

Haha yes it's Derbyshire. Glossop is just in the middle of Yorkshire and Lancashire wanting to cause confusion  

Yes and an after thought which causes problems with schooling when your child really cant cope in mainstream. It was suggested to us that said child, goes to a school just on the fringes of Chesterfield, 1hr 25 mins away and really problematic to get to when it snows over the snake or A623.

We chose a school in Oldham thats 11.5 miles from Hadfield rather than the 33.5 miles keeping within Derbyshire.

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, Had Worse said:

Yes and an after thought which causes problems with schooling when your child really cant cope in mainstream. It was suggested to us that said child, goes to a school just on the fringes of Chesterfield, 1hr 25 mins away and really problematic to get to when it snows over the snake or A623.

We chose a school in Oldham thats 11.5 miles from Hadfield rather than the 33.5 miles keeping within Derbyshire.

That sounds really confusing .

When we step outside and cross road on the left it's tameside, go right and it's Stockport  

When you go over woodhead it says Derbyshire, then a sign your in Barnsley, South Yorkshire  

• Like 1

Posted

Off topic..Talking about odd boundaries, always find the change between Ingleton and Kirkby Lonsdale on A65 odd, Kirkby Lonsdale is in Cumbria, then you go through Lancashire for about 4 miles, then you hit N Yorkshire before yoy reach Ingleton.

There will be many instances elsewhere where roads weave in and out of county borders in very short distances..

• Like 3

Posted
53 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

I've said before Cumbria is a microcosm of variance and has it's own unique micro climate. The coastal and lowland north, west and south fringes tend to do poorly snowfall wise, but you only have to head about 10 miles inland and thanks to the high ground snowfall amounts rise markedly. The central Lakeland valleys and I am just within the category do ok, but not as good as further east and Pennine fringe. 

If we were higher up say 300m here we would have done very well so far this winter.. alas so far not so well, but that is down to synoptics.

Your point would be backed up well if we had anyone on here who lived in Alston or Nenthead which have had more or less constant snow cover since the week after Christmas. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
1 hour ago, Chris.R said:

Interesting. 91 is not bad from an Easterly.

I don’t remember March 2005 though. I remember a snowfall in February 2006 which gave a few inches, (enough to build a snowman anyway) and then turned to rain.

The early Feb cold spell remains my fave cold spell to date, I was 13.

I remember watching Francis Wilson's TV forecast on the Thursday predicting how the snow would finally start to get across the Peninnes in strong & 'chilling' easterly winds, the excitement was growing after watch most of the country getting truly plastered!

The week was dry & very very cold, however I pulled back the curtains on the Friday morning to about 2 inches of proper dry powder snow blowing about in the cold easterly wind. I remember the 10 - 15 minute walk to school, dry & windy with snow filled grey leaden skies, it was truly bitter!

Mid-morning I remember sitting there in art class just staring out of this giant window which overlooked the football pitch, prime position to see anything which may fall from the sky. And then.... shortly after taking my seat a few flakes started whizzing past the window and in no time at all thick heavy dry powder snow came thumping down and just blowing about, fantastic! The snow then set in for most of the day, leaving about another 4 inches.

We were duly sent home for the weekend with school closing early, it was just ace!

I LOVE IT WHEN HE SAYS, IT'S ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE!

December 2010 comes second.

Edited by Day 10
  • Like 9

Posted
9 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

I remember watching Francis Wilson's TV forecast on the Thursday predicting how the snow would finally start to get across the Peninnes in strong & 'chilling' easterly winds, the excitement was growing after watch most of the country getting truly plastered!

The week was dry & very very cold, however I pulled back the curtains on the Friday morning to about 2 inches of proper dry powder snow blowing about in the cold easterly wind. I remember the 10 - 15 minute walk to school, dry & windy with snow filled grey leaden skies, it was truly bitter!

Mid-morning I remember sitting there in art class just staring out of this giant window which overlooked the football pitch, prime position to see anything which may fall from the sky. And then.... shortly after taking my seat a few flakes started whizzing past the window and in no time at all thick heavy dry powder snow came thumping down and just blowing about, fantastic! The snow then set in for most of the day, leaving about another 4 inches.

We were duly sent home for the weekend with school closing early, it was just ace!

I LOVE OT WHEN HE SAYS, IT'S ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE!

What a brilliant post - and link! I think it was Neil Robinson who posted it on TWO initially , I remember him doing so many years ago. 

Francis Wilson is just ace. Could listen to him for hours.

Were you on the Wirral back then? If so did the North Sea showers make it as far as you or was it frontal stuff? I’m only asking as western parts of our region really missed out in 2018. 

• Like 1

Posted

I grew up on the Wirral, Bebington to be precise, and I remember many a snowy winter, I was born in 74. I remember one year at junior school (Brackenwood) us building snow igloos on the playing field and them being there for days, also another year building a den of snow in the ditch between the common on Stanton Road and the golf course which had drifted in to and filled it up, it also was there for days. Oh also going sledging down the hill at the golf clubhouse  was something that happened a lot of years as well.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, Joe Bloggs said:

What a brilliant post - and link! I think it was Neil Robinson who posted it on TWO initially , I remember him doing so many years ago. 

Francis Wilson is just ace. Could listen to him for hours.

Were you on the Wirral back then? If so did the North Sea showers make it as far as you or was it frontal stuff? I’m only asking as western parts of our region really missed out in 2018. 

Yeah still on the Wirral, I think showers at first with simply the strength of the wind. However I'm pretty sure a low to the south started to bring more organised bands through, I didn't care I was loving life!

archivesnh-1991-2-8-0-0.thumb.png.020e81f7040fc89b0a1447465ed248aa.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat, thunderstorms and winter snow
52 minutes ago, A Face like Thunder said:

We tend to get less of the white stuff in Crewe than in Chester, Stoke and even Alsager. Someone turned up one morning about 2-3 weeks ago from Alsager and their snow--covered car roof and bonnet looked totally out of place here in Crewe.

Crewe has its own mini micro climate when it comes to snow I think! Mixture of a mini urban heat island effect and Crewe & Nantwich being sheltered more by Bickerton Hill and the Welsh hills to the west/ NW. The difference in snow cover can sometimes be quite dramatic especially in a NW/ NNW scenario like early January 2010 where Stockport got close to a ft of snow where Crewe managed only about 5cm. Even here in Sandbach 5 miles down the road we got 10cm. The mind boggles! ❄️ South Cheshire has done pretty well though this Winter so far to be fair. Hope we can all squeeze some more snow out of it come February! ❄️⛄️ 

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, chris78 said:

I have lived in Preston since 1998, there has never been more than /3 cm in that time........09/10 close y may have had more but not in the centre of town.

I am 42 years old most of that time in Liverpool or Preston, I dont think I have ever seen anything like a foot of snow, if I have it must have been when i was very young)

(it is possible im forgetting a bigger fall, or was away during one but i dont think so.)

Chris. We had a decent fall on several nights in the early 2010s. Memory a bit fuzzy but it caused a bitt of a stir as it was the heaviest snow round here for many years. I had some photos and on flat ground we had a good depth. I'll try and find them. We had more than 3cm here one Christmas day as well from heavy showers from a cold nw feed. 1998 ... just missed the Feb 1996 event as well. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
5 minutes ago, Snow free zone said:

Chris. We had a decent fall on several nights in the early 2010s. Memory a bit fuzzy but it caused a bitt of a stir as it was the heaviest snow round here for many years. I had some photos and on flat ground we had a good depth. I'll try and find them. We had more than 3cm here one Christmas day as well from heavy showers from a cold nw feed. 1998 ... just missed the Feb 1996 event as well. 

Yeah I'm pretty sure Preston had a deep cover in 2010 of close to a foot. And I don't even live there haha. There is a youtube video of Granada reports about the snow in 2010 and on it there's an elderly lady in Preston looking out of her window saying she hasn't seen snow like it since she was young. I think Kevin (weather history) posted it a while back.

• Like 1

Posted

Met Update

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Occasional rain and hill snow on Friday. Fine on Saturday with frost early and late. Sunday starting dry and cold, but a risk of snow later.

Positive - No marginality in that

Just need it to get here now.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow
8 minutes ago, Day 10 said:

Met Update

Outlook for Friday to Sunday:

Occasional rain and hill snow on Friday. Fine on Saturday with frost early and late. Sunday starting dry and cold, but a risk of snow later.

Positive - No marginality in that

Just need it to get here now.

Hopefully in daylight hours

Posted
14 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah I'm pretty sure Preston had a deep cover in 2010 of close to a foot. And I don't even live there haha. There is a youtube video of Granada reports about the snow in 2010 and on it there's an elderly lady in Preston looking out of her window saying she hasn't seen snow like it since she was young. I think Kevin (weather history) posted it a while back.

We had a decent amount when I lived in s Yorkshire 

FB_IMG_1610800462898.jpg

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Day 10 said:

I LOVE IT WHEN HE SAYS, IT'S ALL DOWN HILL FROM HERE!

Yes it was a Friday from memory and have same memories. The following week was half term and the snow stuck all week, ideal timing for a child and fun in the snow. 

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Nothing like a foot in the town centre.    5cm maybe?

Edited by chris78
typo

Posted
2 minutes ago, chris78 said:

Nothing like a foot bread the town centre.    5cm maybe?

The pics here show a good cover but no reason depth

QVNIMTE3OTQzMjYz.jpg?width=2048&enable=u
WWW.LEP.CO.UK

The winter of 2010–11 was a weather event that brought heavy snowfalls, record low temperatures, travel chaos and school disruption to most of...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
3 hours ago, Had Worse said:

Yeah it's a funny one. Looking at Glossop they have Derbyshire police as their force and Derbyshire fire service for that but they have North West ambulance service instead of East Midlands. And for hospitals the residents get sent mostly to Tameside hospital in Ashton which is a good 7 miles away, not ideal if they have an emergency like a heart attack. Could've done with another smaller general hospital built a bit closer for emergencies.

Edited by Frost HoIIow

Posted

The 8.9mm rain collection at 9 GMT today now means 2021 already holds the record January total over tthe  last 51yrs,  265.3 mm so far. 

Previous Jan max was 263.6 mm, in 2008.  

Hadn't realised we were so near.   It will be Storm Christoph to blame.

And according to the wet forecast we'll have more to add.

Misty all a day here till late afternoon.  Then the mist lifted a bit and there was a glimpse of snow still on the fells.

As the old folks say -- it will take more snow to shift it.