Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

North West Regional Discussion 30 December 2020 onwards

cheshire snow

Posted

Nice update from the UKV 15Z Thurs - just a slight correction West be nice next update.

image.thumb.png.c39a62e7a4108a8063a0dd9161e54415.png

Edited by SnowWatcher2
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: All
4 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Nice update from the UKV 15Z Thurs - just a slight correction West be nice next update.

Its obviously causing headaches as BBC re: Thursday is not laying on the detail.

Posted
Just now, Had Worse said:

Its obviously causing headaches as BBC re: Thursday is not laying on the detail.

Yea could go either way, few models showing cold further south, other not so favorable - but hoping the cold wins, looks to be staying over North East Scotland for the foreseeable so I suppose its lingering with a chance.   

Posted
1 hour ago, iand61 said:

Plenty of opportunity for some parts of the North to get a real dumping over the next few days but I think for most we’ll look back at a mixture of missed opportunities and sheer bad luck.

I’ll keep the shovel handy just in case but somehow I think the I will be shovelling far more potential than actual snow.

not that I can go anywhere when I’ve actually moved the snow

I hope you are feeling a little 

Posted

And its changed again just showing tomorrows rain / snow and then Thomaz' parting words were " Turning Even Milder"

Edited by Had Worse

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer heat and winter cold, and a bit of snow when on offer
2 minutes ago, shadowfax said:

I hope you are feeling a little 

Yeah we’re not too bad although both feel like we’ve been hit by a bus.

Posted

Tomorrow is a messy picture, evaporative cooling may come into play and under heavier precipitation we may see a dose of heavy wet snow, equally might be a day with alot of sleet and heavy wet snow not settling, or it may just be rain..

Thursday - I would expect uppers and dewpoints to be non-conducive for low level snow, but you never know.

The mild air doesn't look like making it into Cumbria, maxes of up to 6 degrees at best Wednesday and probably Thursday, becoming colder again. Easily the coldest January here since 2010.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
6 minutes ago, iand61 said:

Yeah we’re not too bad although both feel like we’ve been hit by a bus.

I know that feeling I got shingles after Christmas which apparently can be linked to silent Covid and spent two weeks in bed. Watching snow helps a bit!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
11 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Yeah we don't want Yorkshire stealing it like a couple of weeks ago. Not that I dislike the area but I do get a bit apprehensive when I cross "those there hills" into uncharted territory. Don't know why...... But I'm a proud Lancastrian

• Like 3

Posted
12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah we don't want Yorkshire stealing it like a couple of weeks ago.

Me if that happens... 

image.thumb.png.287e1dcd7346f510f5ada37f75bbc479.png

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Me if that happens... 

image.thumb.png.287e1dcd7346f510f5ada37f75bbc479.png

I'd send image.thumb.png.aadd3bb15d18a601b3461f981b45c0bf.pngIm pretty sure they'd let here have as much as she wanted.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow & Thunderstorms
46 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

46 minutes ago, SnowWatcher2 said:

Starting to tilt & struggle north, all snow by Thurs stalling for days lol...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: very cold frosty days, blizzards, very hot weather, floods, storms

Matt Hugo just posted another tweet:

Matt Hugo@MattHugo81

Can see some spread on the position of the warm front on Thu but even compared with 24hrs ago there's less spread on its position from the EC ENS and it is being held further S and W. Forecast wise this is crucial to the snow risk for central and Northern areas.

image.thumb.png.3fc6113f0797202f697af842bf2abe0d.png

image.thumb.png.797e1b37bbf60d3f8e145b67ac18999f.png

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, pip22 said:

Matt Hugo just posted another tweet:

Matt Hugo@MattHugo81

Can see some spread on the position of the warm front on Thu but even compared with 24hrs ago there's less spread on its position from the EC ENS and it is being held further S and W. Forecast wise this is crucial to the snow risk for central and Northern areas.

image.thumb.png.3fc6113f0797202f697af842bf2abe0d.png

image.thumb.png.797e1b37bbf60d3f8e145b67ac18999f.png

Maybe a snow event in the north of the region and a rain to snow event in the south of the region as the cold slowly starts to undercut and push back, followed  by a similar event hot on it's heels for the Friday.

Days are getting longer but it looks like the cold is growing stronger! A very cold Feb???

• Like 5

Posted

I know quite a few of you have been lucky with snowfall this month but I do think in general we have still been unlucky with the overall pattern. With the way the vortex has been punched & kicked this year I'm surprised we have yet to experience a real big freeze. Maybe the dice will fall right for Feb, the FI chart posted earlier is not that outlandish.

• Like 4

Posted
59 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Yeah we don't want Yorkshire stealing it like a couple of weeks ago. Not that I dislike the area but I do get a bit apprehensive when I cross "those there hills" into uncharted territory. Don't know why...... But I'm a proud Lancastrian

You live in Greater Manchester though.... 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Severe frosts, warm sunny summers,

If anyone in North of region and under clear sky's...might be worth a look but have to be quick lol

Screenshot_20210125-214935.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Been a few comments here about going snow-necking. You shouldn't be doing it anyway for a million obvious reasons, but not only do the police seem to be actively looking for snow-neckers if you have the misfortune to crash (others might read that as getting karma)  you will be fined for breaching Covid regs alongside driving tickets applicable. 

_116633993_a502.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Eight emergency vehicles attended the scene after the vehicle came off the A50 in Derbyshire.

• Like 8

Posted

Small changes, but even the progressive GFS is starting to slow the front down on Thurs.

2054167801_Screenshot_2021-01-25Meteocielfr-ModleGFSpourleRoyaume-UniIrlandersolution025degr(2).thumb.png.fdd1c089ed7c32153fb27ef543fd046a.png440515349_Screenshot_2021-01-25Meteocielfr-ModleGFSpourleRoyaume-UniIrlandersolution025degr(1).thumb.png.29ee9c6bdf1eb5cfb98adc9e9e0da357.png

• Like 6

Posted
37 minutes ago, Beano said:

If anyone in North of region and under clear sky's...might be worth a look but have to be quick lol

Screenshot_20210125-214935.png

Would be spectacular in Iceland ?? tonight 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Frosty the Snowman said:

You live in Greater Manchester though.... 

If your old enough you'll remember that it wasn't always the case. In the 70s councils in the area merged and it became "Greater Manchester" but that doesn't mean someone in Oldham or Rochdale suddenly became a Mancunian. Some people objected to it here in Oldham because they didn't want to be referred to as Manchester. The Oldham accent is much different than a Mancunian one too. I grew up just off Hollins Rd and no one had a Mancunian accent that I grew up with. Interesting thing I've noticed is once your inside the M60 the accent from most people is clearly Mancunian. East of it it's not.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 5

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

If your old enough you'll remember that it wasn't always the case. In the 70s councils in the area merged and it became "Greater Manchester" but that doesn't mean someone in Oldham or Rochdale suddenly became a Mancunian. Some people objected to it here in Oldham because they didn't want to be referred to as Manchester. The Oldham accent is much different than a Mancunian one too. I grew up just off Hollins Rd and no one had a Mancunian accent that I grew up with. Interesting thing I've noticed is once your inside the M60 the accent from most people is clearly Mancunian. East of it it's not.

Was a joke...

• Like 1

Posted

This is how much snow the ECM has predicted will fall over the next 10 days... be nice if it came true, and more importantly be nice if what fell stuck and stayed around.  

image.thumb.png.dca254ad768f6b20e4dd219fb475ecd9.png 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and sunny summers, cold & snowy winters
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

Grew up in Bury / Bolton in the 90s and hated being referred to as a Mancunian - definitely a Lancashire lad. 

• Like 3